PDA

View Full Version : JBL Pro Terminal Posts

SteveL300
12-09-2005, 01:53 PM
I needed new terminal / binding post for the back of my L300’s. The plastic tops broke off the old consumer series ones. I contacted JBL to see if I could get some new pro series terminal post. They said they still had some I said cool, send me 4 red and 4 black. 1 set for the back of the cabinets and 1 set to put on the 136a’s.

What I received where these gold looking terminal posts that have a knob that you unscrew put the wire through and then twist back down. They also look banana plug compliant.

Definitely not the original pushdown kind.

What do you think better or worse?

Alex Lancaster
12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
:) Better.

Jakeisuseless
12-10-2005, 02:07 PM
I really hate the push-down ones. I mean.... they probably do the job great.... but there is a certain point, where you have been working on a pair of speakers for a few weeks. Waiting for parts or whatnot, working on them, just dreaming of how they are going to sound. Then you go to hook them up to the amp.... oh jesus christ..... stupid 12-gauge wire! AHHHH! *Twist Twist* Oh, I just want to hear them play, just a little bit.... just a little bit..... OH C'MON! *Twist Twist* Ohhhhhh..... Thank god.

Though, I must admit, this sets one up well for some Pink Floyd and a nice cigarette.

Tom Loizeaux
12-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Yeah, maybe the newer twist binding post are better, but there's a lot of gold plated junk out there too! I've had problems keeping my old Altec screw top posts tight against the wires, so I'm not a big fan of screw top posts at the moment. I've never had a problem with the JBL spring-loaded ones.
JBL should be willing and able to supply customers with these "older style" posts...especially if they are asked for!

Tom

SteveL300
12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
That is exactly what I was wondering when I received the new style binding posts. I looked at them and said, what keeps the threaded part screwed down and in place. The Wire? The old pro series style binding posts are at least spring loaded and the wire hole is bigger then the old consumer series.

One thing about these new ones though is the wire hole looks to be about 5/16’s in diameter.