PDA

View Full Version : My finished project.

merlin
09-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Dear all,

I just thought you might be interested in seeing the final version of my 1500AL subs.

I dont have the facility to store pictures on the net, but a firnd of mine posted them here:

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=13488#post13488

I must say, I'm delighted with the outcome, a big thank you to the forum and Greg Timbers for the help and advice.

Earl K
09-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Wow , Merlin :bouncy:

Beautiful aesthetics & design . Love the look . Well Done !!! :wave:

:cheers: <. Earl K

ps - those pictures should be postable at this site.
( Thanks Bo )

boputnam
09-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Here ya go...

scott fitlin
09-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Very sharp looking cabinet! Hope they sound as nice as they look.

Enjoy! :D

4313B
09-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by merlin
I must say, I'm delighted with the outcome, a big thank you to the forum and Greg Timbers for the help and advice.
N.P. ;) Glad I could point you in the right direction :)
They look very nice!

Robh3606
09-20-2003, 01:21 PM
WOW Very Nice :thmbsup:

Great idea doing a trapazoid good volume lower profile. How do they sound??? What type of wood is the vernier nice looking finish? Are they ported or sealed??

Rob:)

Turned on the lights a bit!

merlin
09-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the kind comments all.

I went for the trapezoid as much for aestetic reasons as for any sonic ones. The cabinets are 110l, venting to the rear with a 4" x 12" flared port, tuned to 27hz.

The veneer is just some cherry on 12mm ply which is applied to the 25mm MDF of the main enclosure. The front baffle is a laminate of 25mm and 18mm MDF. Substantial bracing inside makes these heavy muthas! The main cabinet is actually finished in black buffalo hide, I am delighted with the look. I understand that Greg Timbers has similar units at home in his theatre, the credit for the amazing sound lies with his genius. The styling is all I can claim credit for!

I'm powering them with a Crown K1 and they really are singing crossing over at 200hz. The definition throughout the bass region is out of this world, I am hearing subtle tonal shadings for the first time. The power of the midbass is also quite shocking, as is the rich texture that I only seem to get from JBL. They are still running in and have some way to go, so I am one happy guy.

So now I need to plan some matching mid and treble arrays!!

4313B
09-20-2003, 03:49 PM
I think Jerry really hit a home run with the design of this transducer. :)
From various discussions it seems this driver has become the hands-down current favorite :yes: