PDA

View Full Version : 4315B: To redge or recone?

WDJ
11-12-2005, 05:48 PM
I bought my 4315Bs in 1979. SWMBO decided that they took up too much space so the L100s came to the rescue.

Well, twenty odd years of very rarely being used and other transgressions and the surrounds aren't upto "surrounding" anyting anymore.

I found Orange County Speaker; anybody have any (hopefully good!!) experience with them?

Thanks!!

Zilch
11-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Please click "User CP," above, and enable location display in your profile so's we can advise you of anyone close to you for the task....

morbo!
11-12-2005, 05:53 PM
I think alot of people here would say to you.

Take it to a qualified jbl service man
But i done 10 speakers of all diffrent brands
and have never had to much problem with doing it(never had to do a set of jbl`s though just some soldering to 1)
check your spiders carefully if you think they look alright go ahead:)

p.s i just scored a 82 xs yamaha (not going)but i will make it
for doing 4 peerless drivers and like 50$
lol

WDJ
11-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Zilch: Good idea to let others know where you are when asking for help. I've talked to some of the local pro music shops, nobody knew of any one they would really recommend.

Morbo!: From what I saw of OCS prices, I am leaning towards sending the drivers out to them.

Really just wondering if anybody had dealt with them in the past (risk reduction)

Thanks

Zilch
11-12-2005, 06:09 PM
http://www.jblproservice.com/service/texas.html

If I was sending 'em to CA for recone, it'd be to the factory.

Factory doesn't do resurround only, tho.

I've got nothing against OCS; they're just "pricey" is all.

'Specially after addin' in the freight....

toddalin
11-12-2005, 08:18 PM
I bought my 4315Bs in 1979. SWMBO decided that they took up too much space so the L100s came to the rescue.

Well, twenty odd years of very rarely being used and other transgressions and the surrounds aren't upto "surrounding" anyting anymore.

I found Orange County Speaker; anybody have any (hopefully good!!) experience with them?

Thanks!!

They've done speakers for me, JBL and others. Work has always been done well but when they refoamed some RSL woofers, they did the refoam to the front, rather than rear of the cone as was original. I would never tolerate that on a JBL, but would certainly let them know that before hand.

transducergeek
11-12-2005, 08:40 PM
I would likely re-surround personally myself. Among my favorite passtimes. Check the Spider, if it's flat... do a "new edge" on it... so much cheaper.. Buy the parts, and spend a few hours doing it, much more rewarding than paying for shipping and labor, and all that....Pride of doing!.... I can advise how-to, or follow the tutorial on a thread here...

Someone like Gordon or someone else here had surrounds of the correct size for those.. I have and sell for $12/pair, the "standard" 12" foam surrounds, and those can be "stretched" to fit, but.... not the EXACT correct thing for JBL "oversize" 12's.

norealtalent
11-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Definitely check the spiders whether you do them yourself or send them out. Something about those 2203's that weakens the spider much faster than any other JBL I've done. I resurrounded 4 pair and had to take every one back apart and do the spiders too. Weak spiders let the mass ring bottom on the top of the pole piece at higher power levels. My 2 cents...:bouncy:

morbo!
11-13-2005, 12:26 AM
I would likely re-surround personally myself. Among my favorite passtimes.

:bouncy: Mine too
dont you just luv the old speaker glue everywhere
and the satisfaction of fixing somthing you love!
what a geat job

johnaec
11-13-2005, 08:06 AM
'Might as well go for the resurrounds first. If it's successful, great! If not, and you end up getting them reconed, all you're out is the cost of the surrounds and some time.

John

subwoof
11-13-2005, 12:44 PM
of course you should know that the recone kit for the 2203 has NOT been available for some time so re-surrounding is the *only* option...:)

sub

duaneage
11-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Try Karl at www.speakersaver.com (http://www.speakersaver.com/) in Florida. He does all JBL products and is reasonable. I have had a few done by him. Specify if you want front or rear surround placement.