PDA

View Full Version : an idea thats been in my head for awhile

morbo!
11-11-2005, 04:58 AM
I had the idea of building a cheap cabinet

2 pieces of wood at either end and 2 circular tubes pvc filled with sand
and assembled as common sense would suggest.
I was wondering what you guys thought of this
any why it wouldn`t work?
why are all boxes square?
sorry about my crappy drawings only paint installed atm
and i rushed it out while writing
nothing is to scale

jpb_dk
11-11-2005, 05:39 AM
Hi there,
Some years ago i made some measureings/tests on diffrent cabinet-design and resoult of reflections caused by design ect... I will try to find it, scan it and post it.. Please remind me in PM if i forget it..

Also dont forget that some of the world's most respected speakers are not cubic, something x something boxes..

Reflections from the cabinet/front is not only bad. Look at a Violin/chello and a Peter Snell Speaker. Both deal "active" with reflections, and original Peter Snell's are still not re-produced. SO YES there are something about it, but its a matter of putting things togethere..

Regards
Jens

sonofagun
11-11-2005, 06:06 AM
Radical, clever, simple, out-of-the-mainstream, CHEAP design?

Hey, WE like it all ready!

WE give you our support and will be see-cure-itee for yer i-deah!

(that's me in the background with tha 32-40 Henry!)

Tom Loizeaux
11-11-2005, 07:01 AM
It has been said that the "best" cabinet design is a sphere!
I doubt that you could come up with a design concept that hasn't already been done. Tubes have been used in a number of designs. Check out the Kicker automotive subs.

Tom

duaneage
11-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Cylinders are really prone to standing waves of the order of +- 5db. it will either sound pretty amazing on certain music types or absolutely horrible.

An idea I saw before was a flattened cylinder. take a 12 inch cardboard concrete tube and malform it into a flattened cylinder. Then wrap it with fibreglass and resin to stiffen it up. The odd shape of the flattened cylinder works to preventthe standing waves.

I never built one so I can't comment on the results

morbo!
11-11-2005, 03:34 PM
sounds like it might make a decent sub cab!
or some real design done work on the front and back!

working on a new idea for the back now
2 hours later

thanks for them suggestions all sorts of wild concepts comming to me now!:bouncy:

morbo!
11-14-2005, 10:16 PM
i think i got it
has anybody got the moddeling software