PDA

View Full Version : separate systems for tunes/voice

louped garouv
11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
pulled this from another forum...

what are your thoughts?

"thought of this last night... looking to start a decent discussion... skip to the bottom if you don't wanna read all this...

1. Cones and hornes can only vibrate at a certain frequency before destorting. Regardless of what they are playing, depending on the quality of horn (in this case lets use a standard JBL horn/woofer 3-way,...) if you send enough information through, and if that information is rather dynamic (as is most dnb) then your boxes are more prone to distortion. Now distortion itself based on wattage. (db, Dbspl, whatever it comes down to watts). Read on before you judge...

2. the human voice has a dynamic range of no less than 80hz and no more than 1.2Khz. Your typical response range of a JBL mid-range 3 way box is probably around 25hz to 15-19Khz. Drum and bass exercises around 60-6000hz. (FYI human hearing is sensitive to 20hz to 20khz...)

When one takes into consideration of a voice, in this case the voice of an MC, which is typically alto, which = 130-700hz, and distortion from the speakers due to deconstructive intereference (and remember this distortion is due to driving the sound so much that the CONSTRUCTIVE interference creates the deconstructive intereference between the separate signals, which is WAY common in the dnb/jungle world) one can come to a conclusion...

"all I hear is Blah bibbidy blee blah bippity blah"

here is my idea = increase clarity of an mc's voice by... giving them a separate system to work on. Keep their shit OFF of the dj mixer why???

because in the end all of the signals coming through that mixer are bussed to the main/rec/booth outs. That is your first point of doubling frequencies. If the voice of an MC operates within the range of most dnb, then any frequency from the mc's voice that matches the frequencey of anything goin on in the music will double, resulting in 6db of overall volume increase. Factor in Q, and you have an exponentital volume increase in the frequencies surrounding the matching frequencies as well...

Now this normally would not be a problem if those signals were not coming out of the same system. Once you have horns that are pushing the same signal, you are going to have ANOTHER 6dB increase. thats a 12DB increase just after physics are applied!!! Now factor in VCA control at the mixer and wattage control at the amp and you are looking at major distortion possibility!!!

Also, getting back to what I said before regarding how much information is put into the speakers... reduce your load = better sound quality.

basic message for those that didn't read? Put MC's on a separate system, their own amps, mixer and speakers. I think this would be a good way to really get the MC's and the music separated in an appropriate way!

and ALL of this is to go without mentioning the mic choice of the MC. A Nuemann is going to have a much larger potential to represent a larger frequency range than a SM58 will...

what does everyone think?

boputnam
11-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Er, I don't understand any of it.

Control your gain structure. Period. As with any untamed, untrained vocalist, get a C/L on that strip, and ride the fader.

The point about the Neumann and SM58 evades me. I guess the MC was on the former? That's just plumb odd... But, I likely have misunderstood - the writer needs some training, hisself...

louped garouv
11-08-2005, 02:24 PM
yep MC was on the neuman... and writer need skooling, but to be fair -- this came off of a 'raver' board and they like to intentionally misspell things there -- esp. those into D&B

my reply to the thread was that having another, dedicated vocal, system wouldn't solve his distortion problems...

morbo!
11-08-2005, 02:46 PM
they must be giving out sound engineering diplomas with extasy tabs now:banana:

Oldmics
11-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Quote From the Rave Poster

"what does everyone think?"

I think that the ability to take an order for FRIES and BURGERS from a solo microphone should show that two sources are simultainously compatable.

Oldmics and yes a small Frosty also,please

boputnam
11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
:rotfl:

Zilch
11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
:p

Titanium Dome
11-08-2005, 05:16 PM
I don't really unnerstan ravers, MCs, pipers, or their freakin' ak-o-lytes, so why would I want them to sound better or be more clear?

All I can say is not interested.

Now if this is a proposal to develop discrete audio channels that are voice only, then hey, it can be done. But then you've got a couple extra channels of shit I don't want to hear.

Messij to th' peep-hole. :wtf:

Titanium Dome
11-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Or is it pee-pole? :D

edgewound
11-08-2005, 05:58 PM
A separate system for voice is a great idea....especially if you like to carry around twice as much gear...and you need to keep your shit separate. And ESPECIALLY if you keep your SHIT away from me....kew? 'das chill...

Zilch
11-08-2005, 06:21 PM
He's got his physics wrong. The levels are not additive....

louped garouv
11-08-2005, 08:44 PM
He's got his physics wrong. The levels are not additive....
I didn't think so.... thansk for clearing that one up, I managed to skip physics all through college, and HS was too long ago...

I don't really unnerstan ravers, MCs, pipers, or their freakin' ak-o-lytes, so why would I want them to sound better or be more clear?

All I can say is not interested.

This is more for some of the local kids trying to produce some shows.. not the ravers per say... well indirectly....

I also responded that the best solution maybe to just turn the mic down.... :D

I was one of those early Klub Kids when I was like 15/16... (early 90s) used to get all dressed up in crazy costumes for a night out in NOLA

you grow out of some of the stuff... but at least the kids still try to preach PLUR (Peace Love Unity & Respect) -- better than the meth crazed parties....