PDA

View Full Version : Lansing Heritage Weekend

Titanium Dome
10-28-2005, 04:41 PM
As requested by Morbo, here's the hijack moved to its own thread. :)

:blah: Too Much Talking, Not Enough Listening :blah:
Okay, as interesting as the current speculative threads are on JBL vs. JBL and JBL vs. the world, the real soul of the Lansing Heritage is the sound produced by the various designs, components, and configurations.

From the ancient coffins with several choices of driver and crossover combinations to the two way horn units of various sizes to the four way systems to the three and four way monitors to the modular units to the multiple driver odd-shaped sets, from pre-sub to sub extra to sub required designs, we have a lot of JBL innovation, experimentation, and implementation, including DIY.

Now, I've visited a few of the forum members and heard their individual JBLs (and Westlakes and Fosgates using JBL drivers) and Altecs, but NEVER have been able to hear a bunch of them all at once. Well, except at my house, but that's old news to me.

Seriously, we need to stop talking and do some listening.

I'd like to get some help to plan and hold a Lansing Heritage Weekend where we assemble so much LH gear in one place that forum members have to come. If we do it in SoCal, it's easy for folks to drive or fly here, and maybe we can get Harman/JBL to give us a peek inside the temple.

Really, all we need is a place and a date. I'm thinking Jan/Feb when some of our northern members might want a few days out of winter and flights are relatively cheap. Anywhere within 50–75 miles of LA will be within my driving range to load up some Performance Series, SVA1800s, L7s, L5s, L250s, 4430s, and a B380 to contribute to the event, plus cables, amps, sources for them.

Yes, this is nuts, but what else are ya gonna do in the middle of winter? I won't be surprised if no one replies positively, but all we need are a couple more guys with more gear than sense who'll load it up and let total strangers listen to it for a day and a lo-o-ong night. The Bay Area guys could rent a small U-Haul and bring some stuff down, including project beds. Folks from Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New mexico, and Northern Mexico could make the trek.

Heck I drove my L7s and L100s to CA from MI in 32 hours with no damage and Leif took his 4430s on the plane for Pete's sake: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...read.php?t=6411

So no one's got a good excuse.

Anyone want to do this? Anyone want to help me plan it?

toddalin
10-28-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm there or they're here.:D

Titanium Dome
10-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Just to keep the invitation open:

Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and South America
SoCal has a lot of airports, including LAX and Orange County/John wayne which receive hundreds of international flights per day. Anyone who'd make the trek from another continent can count on extra hospitality and a warm welcome if this comes together.

Don't automatically count yourself out. Don't worry about language or customs. If you can say "Hi," "Goodbye," and "Thanks" and can obey our smoking laws (smoke outside), everything will be fine.

Ian Mackenzie
10-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Just to keep the invitation open:

Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and South America
SoCal has a lot of airports, including LAX and Orange County/John wayne which receive hundreds of international flights per day. Anyone who'd make the trek from another continent can count on extra hospitality and a warm welcome if this comes together.

Don't automatically count yourself out. Don't worry about language or customs. If you can say "Hi," "Goodbye," and "Thanks" and can obey our smoking laws (smoke outside), everything will be fine.

Unfortunately I can't get leave till the possibly Feb/March in new year so maybe.... Shipping my 4345's would be a Tad expensive..

I might send Bo "Tin Ear" as my proxy (4345 trained ears)

It would be nice to see Sir Lancer there and The Earl of Lansing.

Ian

toddalin
10-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Shipping my 4345's would be a Tad expensive..

Ian

Tad??? :blink: This is a JBL forum, ;) though some of the Tad components certainly look like JBL.

briang
10-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I would be willing to make the trip. :)

bigyank
10-28-2005, 08:00 PM
I might be out on the left coast in Jan 06:applaud: If I can swing a few days into my business trip then count me in!

Yank

morbo!
10-28-2005, 09:06 PM
man
if this happens
i want a couple of vids there and maybe a few good mike`s and a link to the dedicated web site so the rest of the world can see and hear you guys jammin
p.s 1 of my friend`s opens a music type store on thursday(low end cheap gear)importer
But i will be havin fun
if i can get a digi cam there i might post a few pick of me and my learner lickz before i get kicked out for ruining buisness
a - b comparrison between my johnson tele copy and his what ever:rockon1: (http://misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=2#)

JBLnsince1959
10-29-2005, 01:47 PM
My post from the other thread:

NO...NO.. :banghead: !!!!! got to be either LAST WEEK of FEB or MARCH [ or April].....Jan. and first 20 days of Feb is impossible for me ( my very busiest time)

puleeeease... reconsider :D

Say, if we could get a look at the "temple" maybe we could get a "guest speaker" ( excuse the pun) to talk to us.

johnaec
10-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Ya' know what might be kool - rent a small conference room at a hotel for a day and have a dinner at the same time. Travelers could stay there too. Acoustics are usually pretty good, (carpeting, acoustic ceilings, etc.), and it'd be easy to set up for comparisons. If we could get a van or truck coming down from northern CA, I'd consider throwing my 4315A's in, and I'm sure Zilch and Widget might have some interesting stuff...

John

scott fitlin
10-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Widget might have some interesting stuff...

JohnYou gotta watch him! Widget WILL try to sneak a TAD in there!

:D

Jakeisuseless
10-29-2005, 06:30 PM
I am a long time member of another fourm in which we meet serveral times a year. It is a skiing fourm so we meet, ski, and party. There has been 'summits' everywhere from Mt. Hood, OR to Argentina, to France. We have a yearly that lasts a week. This is not a crazy concept at all and should be embraced. (To those who have not yet.) I wish I could make it.

Who ever ends up setting this up, PM me.

andresohc
10-29-2005, 07:07 PM
I should be able to make it also. Sounds like fun.

Donald
10-29-2005, 08:55 PM
I can do a California meet. Sorry, but I ain't going to drag my collection along. :-)

Ian Mackenzie
10-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Why not start by doing a Ventrillo chat on the Net.

Its quite fun to hear who's behind the oddback posts and avatars!

sonofagun
10-30-2005, 12:00 AM
CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'...

on such a...

Can we also stop at a church? :blink:

morbo!
10-30-2005, 02:35 AM
Why not start by doing a Ventrillo chat on the Net.

Its quite fun to hear who's behind the oddback posts and avatars!

ventrillo or teamspeak but thats awhole other thread!

Regis
10-30-2005, 09:24 AM
I can do a California meet. Sorry, but I ain't going to drag my collection along. :-)

Me too! Hey Donald, PM me, I live out in Palmdale and you can't be too far from me. My bud and I are thinking of renting a good sized u-haul, a bunch of blankets and hauling the L-150's, L-110's, L-300's and the 250 ti's.

You don't have to bring all of them, but the L-65's or the Dorians might be nice represantatives...:D

Charley Rummel
10-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I like the idea of visiting with fellow forum members. However, it would cost me a fortune to bring any gear out there, and I'm concerned about exposing my gear, some of which is over a half century old, to potential damage during the trip.

Working for a company that manufactures smaller profile portable PA products I can tell you some wild stories about how we'd pack products for shipping to a trade show or for a sales demo, and we'd use heavy-duty military grade custom cases with plenty of padding for extra protection during shipping, and sure enuogh, in spite of all the measures we take, there still are instances of damage. I'm usually the first to find out about it since I'm the tech the people who receive the gear will call to walk them through trouble shooting to get things working again.

Regards,
Charley

jblnut
10-30-2005, 06:32 PM
I'll represent the New England JBL contingent - just tell me where and when....

jblnut

Zilch
10-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Hotel conference room's the best location idea.

I'll bring the RTA.... :p

Titanium Dome
10-30-2005, 10:49 PM
These are the key issues. I've got an event planner working for me that can give me the skinny on conference centers/hotels/auditoriums, but the first thing she's gonna want to know is when.

So, if we can narrow down the date, that'll be priority one. What about the afternoon of 02/24, all day 02/25 and the morning of 02/26/06?

boputnam
10-31-2005, 08:02 AM
I'll bring the RTA.... :pYea, that was my first - and last - thought about this... :hyp:

Robh3606
10-31-2005, 08:23 AM
"Yea, that was my first - and last - thought about this... :hyp:"

:rotfl:

Rob:)

Zilch
10-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Yea, that was my first - and last - thought about this... :hyp:Not to worry - Bo'll bring his FOH gear and make EVERYTHING sound great! :D

Steve Schell
10-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Rather than schlep all the gear to one spot, maybe we could organize a tour of several so. Cal locations over a weekend. I can demo a pair of Lansing Iconics and the "Big Pink" Lansing Monitor 500A at my place in Long Beach. I've also got a couple of rooms full of Jim Lansing era items to display.

Titanium Dome
10-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Rather than schlep all the gear to one spot, maybe we could organize a tour of several so. Cal locations over a weekend. I can demo a pair of Lansing Iconics and the "Big Pink" Lansing Monitor 500A at my place in Long Beach. I've also got a couple of rooms full of Jim Lansing era items to display.

If we put the central event in a proximate location, a couple of side trips would be possible, especially for difficult to move equipment. You can be the first stop. :)

I don't have the space to demo all my JBL stuff at once, so a bigger venue would be the only place to set it up.

Steve, now that you've weighed in, I have a couple more things to discuss with you, so a PM is on the way.

Ian Mackenzie
10-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Yea, that was my first - and last - thought about this... :hyp:

Just remember to listen to it before you look..not the other way around!

Dang Yankee.....Put your blinkers on and you'll be okay..:D

morbo!
10-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Any chance of this thing becomming an annual event.
I would certainly plan a holiday around this avent!!!

JohnK
10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Perhaps you ought to see how it goes the first time. You might not want to commit to the out-years just yet.

Titanium Dome
01-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Okay, I let this sit for a couple of months to see if there was enough heat to reignite it. Apparently not. :dont-know

Still, I'm not a quitter, so I'll bring it up one more time to see how serious we can be.

I've located a venue in Carson, CA

http://ci.carson.ca.us/

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Carson,+CA

at the Carson community Center

http://www.carsoncenter.com/pages/1/index.htm

where there are a number of rooms that could fit our needs. My hunch is we'd need two rooms, one larger venue for Pro gear and a more intimate space for consumer gear. There's catering onsite, both good and reasonable, and the set up service is usually pretty good.

My company's used the venue on several occasions from program culminations of a few thousand to staff luncheons and board planning meetings of a few dozen.

It's right near the I-405 and I-110 freeways and next to the Doubletree Hotel http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=LGBCHDT (there are several less expensive hotels in and near Carson).

I still envision a Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning event.

Friday would focus largely on an opening reception and either a site visit to a special place like Steve Schell's in Long Beach or maybe a movie or two featuring the Performance Series.

Saturday could be the auditioning day, with both the pro and consumer rooms going full tilt. Each contributor (someone who brought a set of speakers) could have an opportunity to show/play a couple of times during the day according to a schedule so we could all hear everything if we wished to. In the evening, we could listen to some of the DIY guys explain the what/why/how of their projects and perhaps even allow them to try to coax the most out of our gear.

Sunday could be a trip or more technical sessions led by those who can (IOW NOT me). :p

Obviously, January is out at this point. Late Feb. might still be possible. The first weekend in March is out for me unless you guys want to come to support my annual fundraiser for gang prevention and community clean up.

The weekend of March 17 (St. Patrick's Day) might be a good one. That's one day I can't resist some corned beef. I might as well drink some Irish beer and listen to drinking songs on JBLs. But watch out, I might karaoke!

So, there's a broad outline. It's all open to discussion, but if some decisions aren't made soon, I'll have to take myself out of the operational end until next year.

Key factors:

How many people are coming? (minimum is 12 confirmed)
How many meeting rooms will we need? (two on Saturday, one on Sunday)
How many hotel rooms will we need? (more rooms, lower rate)
How many meals will we need catered? (one or two on Saturday)

So, ball's in your court...

Actually, that'd be MY balls are in your court, because I'm going way out on a limb here with the GF to even bring this up as a possibility ("You want to do WHAT? Who are these guys? Are you nuts?"). If I lose the momentum now, it'll be a much harder sell the next time. :yes: :no:

toddalin
01-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm still there!

Hamilton
01-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm in, sounds like fun!! :bouncy:

briang
01-03-2006, 05:28 PM
If we lock a date, I'll come, and bring my wife (which means I'll not attend every session ;) ).

None of my projects are too spectacular, so I'll not bring anything.

andresohc
01-03-2006, 05:57 PM
I will be there. I may be able to bring a project.

glen
01-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I'll be there!

Zilch
01-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Thinkin' ... gonna need a van to bring anything, tho.

It'd be the last gasp for the Zilchmobile.... :p

JuniorJBL
01-03-2006, 11:26 PM
I would like to come!!

I have been thinkin I would like to go to Cali and see some of the members as well.
Don't think I could bring much gear but you never know!!;)

Rolf
01-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Yes Yes... IF the time is right... Got a long way to travel you know.:D

Rolf

Ken Pachkowsky
01-04-2006, 02:04 AM
I would have loved to have brought the westlakes to this but with going back to the great white north.....oh well.

Ken

Titanium Dome
01-04-2006, 07:56 AM
I would have loved to have brought the westlakes to this but with going back to the great white north.....oh well.

Ken

I know where you could "store" them for a couple of months, then you could drive down in a van in March, attend the event, and take them back to BC with you. ;)

Ken Pachkowsky
01-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Yep, well....I will go through withdrawl....

Thanks for the storage offer.

johnaec
01-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Thinkin' ... gonna need a van to bring anything, tho.Zilch - I'd be into going - I'd probably bring the 4315A's for those that haven't heard a set, and there'd be room in the van I just picked up for a couple interesting things I'm sure you could come up with, ;) , if you wanted to ride down together.

John

Zilch
01-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Good deal, John. I'll share the expense. Let's plan on it.

Count us "In," Ti Dome. :thmbsup:

[We'll tow the Monster Sub down, maybe.... :p ]

JBLnsince1959
01-05-2006, 07:58 AM
I'll do MY BEST to be there. Due to the nature of my business and some personal things going on I can't guarantee or confirm I'll be there, so don't count me in just yet. HOWEVER, if there are no emergencies I'll be there.

I've been wanting to do a Cal. trip myself and see everyone so this could save some traveling.

I'll like to see some movies with the Performance series. :applaud:

Titanium Dome
01-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Okay, we're getting close to my needed minimum, so tomorow I'll go to the Carson Community Center and the Doubletree Hotel to see what I can put together. I'll try to have a basic schedule of costs and events for people to see.

I'll focus on Saturday, March 18, as the main date, with Friday evening and Sunday morning events TBD. I'll PM some local members to set up a tour or two, and maybe a couple of technical sessions.

If anyone wants to check flight times and costs, in addition to LAX (Los Angeles International) consider LGB (Long Beach) as a place to fly into. Sometimes flights into Long Beach (via DFW) on American are cheaper, plus JetBlue, Alaska, and America West/US Airways fly in there. It's SoCal's "Easy In/Easy Out" airport. It's a quick trip up the 405 Freeway from Long Beach to Carson. Don't book anything just yet, unless you're the gambling type, however.

Zilch
01-05-2006, 10:11 AM
A major concern is equipment security. Ask if they can provide secure overnight storage both nights.

We'll also want access control during the daytime.

I'll do a Q&D Tech Session, if anybody's interested after hearin' 'em.... :p

JBLnsince1959
01-05-2006, 12:08 PM
If anyone wants to check flight times and costs, in addition to LAX (Los Angeles International) consider LGB (Long Beach) as a place to fly into. Sometimes flights into Long Beach (via DFW) on American are cheaper, plus JetBlue, Alaska, and America West/US Airways fly in there. It's SoCal's "Easy In/Easy Out" airport. It's a quick trip up the 405 Freeway from Long Beach to Carson. Don't book anything just yet, unless you're the gambling type, however.

Ok, I'm lost here...I know what LAX is.....
but I'm confused with LGB and DFW , exactly what are the airports there in Long Beach

also, does SW Air fly to these..

something think about ( altho I don't want to hurry anyone) ususally the earlier you can book a flight the cheaper it is ( OK, OK, I'm tight with money :D )

JBLnsince1959
01-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Dome:

what's the address of the place you're looking at ( for use of mapquest)

paragon
01-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Und wie soll ich jetzt schnell nach "Sunny California" kommen ??,
from cold, rainy Germany ?:(
Please mail all findings !!:)

Eckhard

JuniorJBL
01-05-2006, 02:55 PM
A crossover/clio/speaker measurement tech type event :D

This would be fun to here from some of the more knowledgeable members;)

Phil H
01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
I'd like to stop by if you don't mind a neophyte in your midst. I can't spend the entire weekend. If anyone is interested, I have L110's that I could bring along with a Yamaha CR 2040 receiver for power (late 70s; 120wpc). I'd prefer to leave at home the Apollos that I bought from Toddlin.

toddalin
01-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I'd like to stop by if you don't mind a neophyte in your midst. I can't spend the entire weekend. If anyone is interested, I have L110's that I could bring along with a Yamaha CR 2040 receiver for power (late 70s; 120wpc). I'd prefer to leave at home the Apollos that I bought from Toddlin.

Ahhh,:( but they're so pretty!;)

Guido
01-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Ti, there's a small but fair chance that I'll hop over the big lake:)

Is there accomodation nearby? How far is this from LAX?
Any serious chance to visit THE factory? Maybe meet some of the BIG guys?

Ya know, I'll be flying 10 hours....

johnaec
01-06-2006, 05:11 PM
My hunch is we'd need two rooms, one larger venue for Pro gear and a more intimate space for consumer gear.By "pro gear" I assume you're talking about the larger home and/or studio systems? What exactly would "consumer" stuff be, at least in terms of stuff everyone hasn't already heard a dozen times before, (do we really need to hear another set of L100's? http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif ). It would still be nice to see some of the refurbs or customs people have done, though, even if they're smaller or more common, and maybe some of the less common stuff, like L5's etc..

The more I think about this, the more I think 3 rooms might be more appropriate, with maybe two main "demo" sessions going on at a time, with a morning and an afternoon session of each. So a person might get one room's demos in the morning, and the other set of demos in the other main room in the afternoon, (or wander back and forth). The reason I say this is because if you're going to have a minimum of 12 people listening, plus all the space for the various systems, the room might be so big that listening and setup conditions might be less than optimal. And I'm guessing more that 12 people might be showing up, (not all necessarily forum members). The main disadvantage would be splitting the groups up, especially when this is designed so we can all get to know each other better.

Anyway, something to think about. I haven't checked out the center's site yet - do they have room sizes listed? And are they at least carpeted, the way most hotel and other meeting rooms are? That's mandatory in my book, or else places start to sound like gymnasiums... http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/cryingsmiley.gif

Maybe we should start getting a list together of what systems people are planning on bringing. Maybe a separate "system list" thread?

John

Don McRitchie
01-06-2006, 06:08 PM
If you are interested, I can possibly arrange a tour of Northridge as part of this gathering if anyone wants to consider a side trip. I will be in CA from March 11 to March 25, in part, to meet with JBL staff at Northidge. This could be an opportunity for a JBL tour.

majick47
01-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Sounds like the best excuse I'v heard for excaping from MA even if it's only for a couple of days. I'll check my schedule and let you know if I can attend. I'd also love to tour the Northridge facility if you can arrange it Don.

Titanium Dome
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Don, you have a PM.

Zilch
01-06-2006, 07:42 PM
(do we really need to hear another set of L100's? http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif )ABSOLUTELY! They should be the reference standard for all critical listening comparisons.... :yes:

Northridge tour? This is gettin' SERIOUS! :thmbsup:

johnaec
01-06-2006, 08:48 PM
...I can possibly arrange a tour of Northridge...What might be good is a Friday tour for those that could make it.

John

JuniorJBL
01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Ummm!! This sounds very good!!:yes: :thmbsup:

glen
01-07-2006, 12:42 AM
If you are interested, I can possibly arrange a tour of Northridge as part of this gathering if anyone wants to consider a side trip. I will be in CA from March 11 to March 25, in part, to meet with JBL staff at Northidge. This could be an opportunity for a JBL tour.

Now you're talking!
I would definitely want to jump on that bandwagon as well.

Titanium Dome
01-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I spent several hours at the Carson Community Center (CCC) on Friday. I won't know until Monday or Tuedsay if it's going to work, but things look positive.

To answer some of the questions asked above:

The rooms in the CCC are carpeted.

The walls vary from drywall to textured blocks, to carpet, to glass.

Most of the ceilings are done in those metal strips about 4-5" wide with gaps in between with black insulation above. Maybe good, maybe not...

There's a wide variety of room sizes and shapes, though some of the ones better for our purposes are reserved but not confirmed. I'll know availability next week.

I'll also know about security and storage issues next week.

Food service is reasonable. For example, we could have a catered lunch or dinner for between $10-15 each, depending on what we chose. Using the catering also lowers the cost of the use of the room.

Some of the rooms can be partitioned, but of course we'd need distinctly separate rooms for sound purposes. However, we might pull the partition in one room and use one side for the consumer (smaller space stuff) while using the other side for the set up for lunch or dinner.

The nearby Doubletree Hotel will be able to provide rooms for about $109 a night (double occupancy + taxes) possibly less if I reserve a block.

The hotel has a sports bar if you like that kind of thing for late night. (I do.)

I'm waiting to hear back from a couple locals about possible JBL collection tours, and we'll see if Don has anything to tell us.

When I have more details, I'll post them and ask for a more specific commitment from the "I'll be there" group. I'm going to have to put some money into this up front, and I don't want to end up with two guys and a bill for $1000. I love you guys :yes:, but not that much. :no:

Please see the next post. :)

Titanium Dome
01-07-2006, 07:12 PM
There are some technical issues we need to work on even before we finalize this event.

If we have three rooms, what's in 'em?

Room 1: systems designed for medium to large spaces?

Room 2: systems designed for small to medium spaces/HT?

Room 3: custom systems, DIY, technical sessions/eating space/lounge?

Let's get some ideas about what you might bring and which room it'll go in.

Then, let's work on the reat of the system: amps, pre/amps, cables, power strips, etc. I don't think we need to have redundant sets of amps and input sources, but you might have some ideas about that, so speak up. :blah: :blah:

Steve
01-07-2006, 08:05 PM
In getting information on the rooms etc.
Just a reminder to check to see if there is any limitations regarding sound level, type etc. and hours of "operation".
Some rooms allow full tilt boogy, others not.
ie., weddings etc.
I just can't imagine this group keeping the sound level "normal"
Especially with testing the Bass output.
Sounds like a fun time.
Any thoughts on what music, test lp's,cd's, tones will be used?

Steve

toddalin
01-07-2006, 08:43 PM
There are some technical issues we need to work on even before we finalize this event.

If we have three rooms, what's in 'em?

Room 1: systems designed for medium to large spaces?

Room 2: systems designed for small to medium spaces/HT?

Room 3: custom systems, DIY, technical sessions/eating space/lounge?

Let's get some ideas about what you might bring and which room it'll go in.

Then, let's work on the reat of the system: amps, pre/amps, cables, power strips, etc. I don't think we need to have redundant sets of amps and input sources, but you might have some ideas about that, so speak up. :blah: :blah:

I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 integrated that can be put into service, especially if someone wants to do a surround system for SACD or DVD-Audio.

Rolf
01-08-2006, 01:19 AM
Hi all.

In a few minutes I will check flights and prices. I really hope this can work out..:applaud:

Rolf

Guido
01-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi all.

In a few minutes I will check flights and prices. I really hope this can work out..:applaud:

Rolf

fly via frankfurt and I'll try to join you. I prefer LH BTW ;)

JuniorJBL
01-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I have talked with the wife and she said this would be fine. So I am in for sure!!

My wife and I might just bring the truck so I could bring some goodies as well!!:applaud:

Rolf
01-09-2006, 01:55 AM
fly via frankfurt and I'll try to join you. I prefer LH BTW ;)

I will send you a pm Guido.

Rolf

JBLnsince1959
01-09-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm going to have to put some money into this up front, and I don't want to end up with two guys and a bill for $1000. I love you guys :yes:, but not that much. :no:

Bummer...and I thought you were a REEEEAL friend... ;) Damn Dome, what are friends for?????????

anyway..let's get serious for a moment... If this thing is to work smoothly ( and not just the money part) we're going to need it fully organized with a schedule and God Forbid...RULES........

1. Whose's bringing what ( amps and speakers)
2. by what time should they be setup
3. are we going to have to rent tables or something to put the amps on?
4. Is there to be someone assigned to each room so someone is there all the times to protect the stuff ( if everyone is in one room and the others are unmanned)
etc, etc

JohnK
01-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Since I live about 1/2 hour away from there, I couldn't possibly pass this up.
Please count me in.
JK

Zilch
01-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Is this workable?

Friday PM: Northridge tour.
Friday Eve: Equipment setup and social at CCC
Saturday: Demos, all day
Saturday Eve: Panel discussion
Sunday AM: Tech sessions
Sunday Noon: Awards luncheon

:idea: Record panel discussion and tech sessions for subsequent sale or donation "premiums" to support LHF....

boputnam
01-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I spent several hours at the Carson Community Center (CCC) on Friday. I won't know until Monday or Tuedsay if it's going to work, but things look positive.This the place? JBL Lovers Ground Zero...?
http://www.carsoncenter.com/pages/1/index.htm

Here's a Mapquest, too:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&cat=&address=801+EAST+CARSON+STREET&city=carson&state=ca&zipcode=

JuniorJBL
01-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Is this workable?

Friday PM: Northridge tour.
Friday Eve: Equipment setup and social at CCC
Saturday: Demos, all day
Saturday Eve: Panel discussion
Sunday AM: Tech sessions

:idea: Record panel discussion and tech sessions for subsequent sale or donation "premiums" to support LHF....

This looks pretty good!!:applaud:

Zilch
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Northridge to Carson is 38.3 Miles on the 405, according to MapQuest....

toddalin
01-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Northridge to Carson is 38.3 Miles on the 405, according to MapQuest....

Yes, along the busiest freeway through the busiest interchanges in CA.:p

johnaec
01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Is this workable?

Friday PM: Northridge tour.As in afternoon, before rush hour?

John

Zilch
01-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Diamond lanes? ;)

Otherwise, we gotta drive down on Thursday....

Donald
01-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Schedule works for me. I think I can bring the L65 and Dorians. And I have a 'vintage' McIntosh 8 speaker switching box. Made for audio stores. We can do ABCDEFGH comparisons.

johnaec
01-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Otherwise, we gotta drive down on Thursday....I could deal with getting there a day early - it takes the better part of a day to drive down anyway. That'd make Friday a real easy day for getting in and around...

John

JuniorJBL
01-10-2006, 01:49 AM
I would probably get there on thursday so no problem for what ever. I could also take a few people to the " Factory" as I can fit 5 adults in the truck!:D

Regis
01-10-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm there. I can bring the mod'd L-150's and/or the L-300's.

JBLnsince1959
01-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I could deal with getting there a day early - it takes the better part of a day to drive down anyway. That'd make Friday a real easy day for getting in and around...

John

getting there Thursday makes a lot of sense for people who have to come a long way ( long drive in CA or from other states). Even more so if they have stuff to setup.
The more people that could setup in early Friday morning the better, so coming a day early is very good. If I make it then I'll be there way early.

Personally I still like the idea of seeing a movie with the Performance series at Domes place...... :bouncy:

Sure hope a tour of Northridge works out..I would really like to hear the K2 and Array series, see the place, and maybe even hear some of the stuff they send to Japan that we never get to hear. also maybe get GT and others to give us a talk about the past and future of JBL would be cool.

John
01-11-2006, 12:48 PM

Don check your P.M.'s

Titanium Dome
01-11-2006, 04:50 PM
I've been working on a schedule, which came along nicely, and I took it with me to the Carson Center this afternoon to check some details concerning the rooms. The short version of this tale of woe is that the Carson Center cannot accommodate us.

Two of the groups I referenced in an earlier post upgraded their "hold" reservations to signed contracts, and one of them requested more space than originally planned. While we could be onsite Friday evening and Sunday morning, Saturday is a loser in this scenario.

I have some of the housing details already worked out at the Doubletree, so my next move is to check on its meeting space. I've used it for a couple of functions, and its biggest drawback is that it's one large room that can be divided into three rooms. If we occupied the two ends with equipment and kept the center area for nonmusical activities, it might work. :dont-know

One advantage is that it'd be connected right to the hotel, and another would be that it's located away from the hotel's rooms. However, I don't yet know if it's available.

Today and tomorrow I'll expend some energy looking into alternatives. I'll also contact the event manager I use at work and get some ideas from her. I'll do my best to have this wrapped up by the middle of next week. I have no doubt that we will work these details out. :yes:

mbottz
01-11-2006, 05:07 PM
I have read this thread from start to finish and am still unsure of the official date. :confused: Please list the official dates for those of us which are more dense than others. I would like to confirm a flight. Sounds like a great time. Unfortunately I will have to just be a spectator as its hard to load much in my saddle bags.

MB

JuniorJBL
01-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I've been working on a schedule, which came along nicely, and I took it with me to the Carson Center this afternoon to check some details concerning the rooms. The short version of this tale of woe is that the Carson Center cannot accommodate us.

Two of the groups I referenced in an earlier post upgraded their "hold" reservations to signed contracts, and one of them requested more space than originally planned. While we could be onsite Friday evening and Sunday morning, Saturday is a loser in this scenario.

I have some of the housing details already worked out at the Doubletree, so my next move is to check on its meeting space. I've used it for a couple of functions, and its biggest drawback is that it's one large room that can be divided into three rooms. If we occupied the two ends with equipment and kept the center area for nonmusical activities, it might work. :dont-know

One advantage is that it'd be connected right to the hotel, and another would be that it's located away from the hotel's rooms. However, I don't yet know if it's available.

Today and tomorrow I'll expend some energy looking into alternatives. I'll also contact the event manager I use at work and get some ideas from her. I'll do my best to have this wrapped up by the middle of next week. I have no doubt that we will work these details out. :yes:

This is a big undertaking to arange. I am really excited to be part of this.
PM me if there is anything I can do!!;)

Titanium Dome
01-11-2006, 08:59 PM
I have read this thread from start to finish and am still unsure of the official date. :confused: Please list the official dates for those of us which are more dense than others. I would like to confirm a flight. Sounds like a great time. Unfortunately I will have to just be a spectator as its hard to load much in my saddle bags.

MB

Currently targeting March 17, 18, and 19. Probably start around 5:00 PM on Friday and end by 1:00 on Sunday.

I'd recommend waiting until I get a firm commitment on a venue before finalizing plans.

JBLnsince1959
01-11-2006, 09:08 PM
any news on Northridge??????

Titanium Dome
01-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Now that the Carson Community Center is out of the picture, I'm focusing more on single venue sites, meaning hotels that have the requisite space. This raises overall costs.

If we stick with the suggestion of three carpeted meeting rooms and meet Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning, then most attendees who stay overnight will need a room for two nights. Some will want three nights.

If we supply dinner (or a mixer) on Friday evening, lunch and dinner on Saturday, and lunch on Sunday, then breakfast and snacks would be up to the individual.

Providing overnight security for our gear will cost extra.

At this point we're looking at a cost of about $330 per person if we get at least 25 attendees who do the "whole package." That's the rental of the three rooms for Friday evening and all day Saturday, rental of one room on Sunday, four meals, two nights in a shared room (double occupancy), and security for two nights.

Those of us who are local can provide assistance with airport pick up if anyone actually flies in.

If local attendees don't want to stay at the hotel or only want to drop in on a whim, then the rest of us will need to pay more if we have fewer full package attendees. We'll also need to determine if there's an admission fee for drop in attendees. If we get more than 40 folks committed, then the price should go down.

Of course, transportation is a separate cost that attendess would bear individually. If we confirm any off site tours, we'd have to arrange transport, probably by carpooling with locals who have vehicles.

Bear in mind this is a representative cost based on ongoing negotiations, and it could go up a bit or down a bit, depending how good I am at this.

Also, prior to finalizing any contract that I have to sign (which legally sticks me with the whole bill come hell or high water), I'll want some blood from all of you--well okay, some kind of firm commitment. "I'll be there!" isn't enough comfort when I put a $2000 deposit down and am obligated for another $3-4K. Know what I mean? I'm open to your recommendations on this.

At the point that money starts to come in, I'll want someone else from SoCal to step in to provide a second pair of eyes on the finances, to monitor all transactions, deposits, income, and expenditures. It should be obvious why I want this. I'm a volunteer, and so would be this informal auditor. IMO, any leftover money should go the LH site, though it's doubtful that would be the case. However, I wanted to make it clear that if there's $12.03 left after expenses, I won't keep it. It'll go to LH.

If we do a good job of this, maybe this could evolve into a moderate annual fundraiser for Lansing Heritage.

Anyway, there's lots to think about here, fellow members. If you have suggestions or ideas, now's the time to make them. Maybe in your minds this is getting over organized. I don't like to do stuff half-assed. There are ways to cut costs: we can reduce or eliminate meals (but you'd still have to buy your own, possibly at greater cost); we can eliminate one or two show rooms; we can eliminate one day; we can let you find your own hotel rooms (but the going rate will likely be higher than what I negotiate, unless you sleep four to a room at Motel 6); and so on.

This will be the final round of interaction before I start a separate thread for the committed people to really get the nuts and bolts of the event organized (OR before I can the whole thing because the cost seems too high to you). This thread will continue as the general info thread for those who want to follow our progress.

Your reactions, please...

:applaud:

:barf:

:bouncy:

:bs:

johnaec
01-16-2006, 08:18 AM
For 2 nights hotel, meals, etc., $330 doesn't sound out of line to me. Heck, I've spent more on 2 night vacations before, and I see this as much more enjoyable. I'd likely want to come down a night early myself, (if I can also get my passenger to, ;) ).

I think you should use the Poll function here and create a thread to see how many are "positive" they'll commit, and how many are "likely" to commit. The poll function probably doesn't let you later switch from likely to positive, but it'd be a good indicator of response without having to track numerous replies dispersed throughout this thread...

John

JuniorJBL
01-16-2006, 08:43 AM
As John has said, $330 is reall pretty reasonable. I would be bringing my wife so if this does end up that we are going to do this I would be able to send you funds of about $700.00 +/-. I do think we would be driving our truck so if there is one or two other people from Denver or even SLC they could ride with me. I would be leaving most likely on wed morning early. ;)

toddalin
01-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Poll is a good idea. I for one, don't need a room.

Zilch
01-16-2006, 01:03 PM
It's reasonable that locals should share in covering the meeting room costs. An admission/registration fee for everyone seems appropriate.

If asked, JBL might "sponsor" the Friday evening setup mixer. I'd hope they'd have a presence there, with Project Array, of course. :p

I'd envision the Sunday luncheon as a "sign-up" event at registration. Not everybody will be around to attend, but I look forward to this opportunity to wrap up the weekend with new friends having common interest.

That leaves Saturday lunch and dinner as potentially "catered" meals; include them in the admission fees for that day, perhaps. Lunch could be a "box" affair, but I think its important that dinner together be more organized; perhaps combined with the evening panel discussion afterwards.

It's a major undertaking putting this together. I'm here to thank Ti Dome for his efforts.... :thmbsup:

Rolf
01-16-2006, 04:04 PM
$330 (or somthing around there) is for us (yes I will bring my wife to) just a part of the cost, as we have to fly from Norway, and is fine with us. We are also planning to stay a couple of days longer than the weekend.

Our problem is that we need to know some weeks before witch date this meeting will be, so we know if we can come at all. We also need to order tickits at a resonable price, and these must be orders some time before departure. We also need to get someone to take care of our dogs.

If a date soon can be booked it would be nice.

We are really looking foreward to this, and hope we can come.

Rolf