PDA

View Full Version : So call me stupid, ever clue somebody accidently into what they had?

mech986
10-23-2005, 02:29 PM
I was watching an auction for a JBL 2307 horn, looked pretty beat up but it did have a driver hooked to it and looked like the seller was selling it all together. It didn't have many people looking at it and wasn't advertised with much of a description. Very little activity. But from the pictures, something was a little different.

So I did my homework and found out it could be something very special and interesting to me (and you guys). I contacted the seller to find out if local pickup could be done, and he said yes (only 15 minutes away from me). I then asked if he could send me the original pictures so I could examine them a little closer. BIG MISTAKE!!! :biting: :biting: :banghead: :banghead:

He emails me back: The driver is a TAD 2001 and "it is added to the descripton" ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!

I send the email at 10:30 am, he amends the description at 11:54, and the bids start coming in at 12:03!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5820529829&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Moral of the story: sometimes keep your big yap shut and keep your fingers off the keyboard!!

PS - Have also seen some auctions where someone emails directly to the seller telling them exactly what they have, what they ought to be getting for it and how to revise the auction for the best result. I am of two minds on that: I guess helping someone is a good idea and very karma. On the other hand, give us buyers a chance to score if WE do our homework.

Rant off. Anyone else out there with similar stories?

Regards,

Bart

Mr. Widget
10-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Just try to feel good about it...

Your chance will come. Besides, what would you do with a single 2001.:D

Widget

morbo!
10-23-2005, 05:05 PM
this widget is very zen
just feel good about it
u prolly just fed his kiddies for another 2 weeks
or allowed him to buy that life saving cancer medication
morbo!
images/icons/icon10.gif

grumpy
10-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey Bart,

I got the "local pickup is fine" response as well... and slunk back into the weeds...

now I know who to smack upside the head ;)

figured the cat would get out of the bag on that one...

-grumpy(er) :D

57BELAIRE
10-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Here's my story, with just the opposite (downplay) tactics.

My buddy in Miami is a fulltime eBayer who makes the rounds looking for anything of value. I've done numerous JBL deals with him so he usually calls me first when he finds JBL stuff.

He calls one morning and excitedly claims," I think I found something you might be interested in...two huge shiny black boxes with chrome horns. No markings of any kind but two of the four crossovers on the back say...JBL Signature N400!"

Hmmm ( pulse quickens)...could be interesting....maybe a DIY. "...how 'bout some pics?"

Phone rings..."man, you gotta hear these things, they're incredible! Did you get the pics?" "Not yet....can you open the backs and see the components?"

"Hold on (sound of electric drill) "man, lots of screws...yep, woofer is JBL."

'"What model is it?"...."it says 150-4C....and the horns have a huge "magnet" attached."

By now I'm amped at the prospect of what might be...WHERE ARE THOSE DAMN PICS! I'm trying to stay calm.

"Well, I might be interested, I'll let you know when I see the pics."

Pics arrived and lo and behold on the back of his pickup sits two halves of an ebony Paragon standing upright on both ends! :applaud:By now my heart is racing...GOT TO RELAX...TAKE A DEEP BREATH...

"...hey man, looks a little rough. They're missing an important piece (refractor panel) and they should have LE15's so the components may not be original (don't hate me) ...what do you want for them?" (sweaty palms)

"I guess I'll part'em out ....the boxes are too big to mess with."

By now I'm beside myself...how can I swing this deal? Worst case scenario is score the cab and reload. I'VE GOT TO HAVE THIS SPEAKER!

The hours drag by....I just know he's gonna find out what he's got...it's killing me but if he senses I'm excited, Im dead!

Here's where it takes a turn in my favor....it seems he bought the contents of a storage bin with a delinquent account for...$400! The Paragon was inside the bin....and now enter the pivotal piece...WIFEY!

No way was she going to allow those big ugly boxes in her living room and he's offered you...how much?

Well, to make a long story short, Paragon #278 with it's original components sits in my living room, saved from certain death and perfoming beautifully.

Moral of the story...LIES, DECEPTION, $$$$, ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND JBL!

:dancin:

morbo!
10-25-2005, 06:45 AM
lol
good story
and good luck
kinda the way i scored my k-120`s just by fixing a 4" mid range in a set of dali 8 speakers (cost to me $12.50 to fix)
but they were worth about $5000 each aussie dollars in 1988 so everyone is happy and i got jbl for $12.50
p.s 1 of my 120 was blown but the trusty mutimeter found the break
solder solder happy happy
p.p.s if i could afford a set of dali speakers or ever get a chance to scam some u bet i will take it
bad foam thats gonna cost a thousand
lol
morbo !

Rudy Kleimann
09-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Cool heads prevail- especially in scoring deals like that!

"Well, I guess I could take that tired old slug off your hands and help you get out of trouble with the Mrs...."

(After giving him $400) "You've already broke even on the storage unit... the rest is pure profit!!!"

"Cash Makes No Enemies": the deal would not transpire of both sides weren't in agreement at the time of exchange.

Here's my story, with just the opposite (downplay) tactics.

My buddy in Miami is a fulltime eBayer who makes the rounds looking for anything of value. I've done numerous JBL deals with him so he usually calls me first when he finds JBL stuff.

He calls one morning and excitedly claims," I think I found something you might be interested in...two huge shiny black boxes with chrome horns. No markings of any kind but two of the four crossovers on the back say...JBL Signature N400!"

Hmmm ( pulse quickens)...could be interesting....maybe a DIY. "...how 'bout some pics?"

Phone rings..."man, you gotta hear these things, they're incredible! Did you get the pics?" "Not yet....can you open the backs and see the components?"

"Hold on (sound of electric drill) "man, lots of screws...yep, woofer is JBL."

'"What model is it?"...."it says 150-4C....and the horns have a huge "magnet" attached."

By now I'm amped at the prospect of what might be...WHERE ARE THOSE DAMN PICS! I'm trying to stay calm.

"Well, I might be interested, I'll let you know when I see the pics."

Pics arrived and lo and behold on the back of his pickup sits two halves of an ebony Paragon standing upright on both ends! :applaud:By now my heart is racing...GOT TO RELAX...TAKE A DEEP BREATH...

"...hey man, looks a little rough. They're missing an important piece (refractor panel) and they should have LE15's so the components may not be original (don't hate me) ...what do you want for them?" (sweaty palms)

"I guess I'll part'em out ....the boxes are too big to mess with."

By now I'm beside myself...how can I swing this deal? Worst case scenario is score the cab and reload. I'VE GOT TO HAVE THIS SPEAKER!

The hours drag by....I just know he's gonna find out what he's got...it's killing me but if he senses I'm excited, Im dead!

Here's where it takes a turn in my favor....it seems he bought the contents of a storage bin with a delinquent account for...$400! The Paragon was inside the bin....and now enter the pivotal piece...WIFEY!

No way was she going to allow those big ugly boxes in her living room and he's offered you...how much?

Well, to make a long story short, Paragon #278 with it's original components sits in my living room, saved from certain death and perfoming beautifully.

Moral of the story...LIES, DECEPTION, $$$$, ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND JBL!

:dancin:

Steve Schell
09-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Hi Bart,

Long time no talk. I once bought a tar filled Altec H-805 multicellular horn on ebay for $5 because the seller had listed it as "tweeter horn." I sent him something like $30 plus shipping and he was thrilled. Bargains are where you find them. One time I removed a pair of Jensen Imperial cabinets, one stuffed with Jensen, the other with Altec, from a house that had just been sold. I tried to give the lady some money but she refused; she just needed them gone and I obliged.

When someone writes to these LH forums with a naive question about what they have I like to inform them of rarity, value, etc. as I consider it part of the original mission of this site. I have of course been tempted to steal but have resisted thus far. It has worked out well as I have made friends and occasionally sales commissions by helping folks move stuff along.

As I see it, especially with extreme rarities like prewar Lansing stuff, the important thing is that the pieces be preserved by being placed into appreciative hands. The monetary exchanges are a secondary and temporary consideration, though they occasionally can be quite pleasant!

Rudy Kleimann
09-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Steve: I subscribe to your view 100%.

On ebay, all's fair... on LHS, it's much more friendly and neighborly IMHO. Lord only knows how much I have benefitted from the shared knowledge of my fellow LHS members -not to mention true friendships made as a result of our interactions. And, in turn, I hope I have succeeded in doing my part to "pay it forward" on this site.

On ebay, I occasionally want to help someone out; sometimes I ask them in an ebay PM, "Are you an LHS member?" Often this is met with a "???" response. I am always careful to avoid inviting/enlightening those who are unaware of this site until I figure out their motives and spirit- I don't want to help out the predators/freeloading profiteers i.e. ebay user "jbler" who simply made a business of selling on ebay scanned JBL documents taken from this site.

Hi Bart,

Long time no talk. I once bought a tar filled Altec H-805 multicellular horn on ebay for $5 because the seller had listed it as "tweeter horn." I sent him something like $30 plus shipping and he was thrilled. Bargains are where you find them. One time I removed a pair of Jensen Imperial cabinets, one stuffed with Jensen, the other with Altec, from a house that had just been sold. I tried to give the lady some money but she refused; she just needed them gone and I obliged.

When someone writes to these LH forums with a naive question about what they have I like to inform them of rarity, value, etc. as I consider it part of the original mission of this site. I have of course been tempted to steal but have resisted thus far. It has worked out well as I have made friends and occasionally sales commissions by helping folks move stuff along.

As I see it, especially with extreme rarities like prewar Lansing stuff, the important thing is that the pieces be preserved by being placed into appreciative hands. The monetary exchanges are a secondary and temporary consideration, though they occasionally can be quite pleasant!