PDA

View Full Version : New digital formats

jblnut
09-09-2003, 05:31 PM
I'm just wondering how many of you have taken the plunge (also known as buying all your favorite recordings all over again) and gotten into either DVD-A or SACD ? Like most of us I've got a substantial investment in vinyl and CD's, not to mention the turntable and CD to listen to them at something approaching high fidelity. I'm should mention that I'm *very* much against the RIAA and the stance they have (greedily) taken against their customer base (read more at theregister.com) so the difference would really have to be something great to get me to buy in.

I don't doubt that the new digital formats can approach and perhaps even exceed the fiedlity of a high-end turntable. I'd like to hear from those that have gone "to the other side" so at least I know what I'm missing...

Thanks,

jblnut

Robh3606
09-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Yeah I have taken the plunge into SACD. I needed a new DVD player and got one that does SACD from guess who???? Sony!!!
It plays damn near every thing including DTS disks which are my favorite of the DVD bunch. So I can't do Meridian Lossless but that's the only one I can't. SACD is hit and miss so far. Some recordings are great some are just plain lousy and I wonder why they even released them?? Dark Side in multichannel is just great!!

'I don't doubt that the new digital formats can approach and perhaps even exceed the fiedlity of a high-end turntable. I'd like to hear from those that have gone "to the other side" so at least I know what I'm missing...'

Unfortunately my turntables are not up and running at the moment. Its either an Empire 698 or a Dual CS5000 with a Shure V15 4 so its nice vintage but not up to par with the newer stuff. I think SACD will give them a run for the money based on the stuff I own. And honestly you can't get the same sense of you are there with 2 channel. I think mulitichannel is the way to go and DTS encoded DVD concerts can be just awesome. Surround SACD's like Peter Gabriel's UP are one of those you have to hear it. When you compare the 2 channel Vs Surround and the artist uses the surround to its potential the textures and clarity is just plain amazing.

Rob :)

Mr. Widget
09-09-2003, 07:24 PM
You really can't compare vinyl analog to SACD et al since due to the limitations of vinyl (not analog, just vinyl) records and SACDs are not starting with the same source. Frequently compression is added and sometimes they even EQ out some of the lower bass to make records track better and to work within the rather limited S/N ratio afforded by conventional vinyl. (obviously Telarc is an exception here)

In any event, in my comparisons, SACD has a similar stage depth as analog and is much less two dimensional than CDs. Better CDs will have stage depth, but analog and High Res Digital have much more. Unfortunately as Rob points out not every master tape is wonderful enough to merit the process and expense. Some albums are just lifeless sounding, whether on vinyl, CD or SACD.

Maron Horonzakz
09-10-2003, 07:42 AM
They seem to be digging out the same old reruns & takeing the multi mic mono recordings & making surround mix,s. Then charging you double the price. As for RIAA... I dont believe they should be going after children & 81 year old grannys. I produce records but I will not join or back RIAA heavy handiness. The recording industry has been screwing the artist,s royaly & they need to clean up that business first.

boputnam
09-10-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
Some albums are just lifeless sounding, whether on vinyl, CD or SACD. A Widgetism, if I ever read one! :thmbsup: And that effect is increasingly discernable with increased definition monitors.

A Pachkowskyism: "Get a pair of large Format Monitors - throw-out your CD collection..." :D

I concur with The Widget. I would only add that the conditions under which I have heard, and been able to really appreciate SACD, are very few. For me, the "price point" has not been reached because of the relative rarity (in my daily cycle...) where the requisite conditions can be met to merit the cost.