PDA

View Full Version : Vintage over priced?

Akira
09-13-2005, 09:39 AM
i have a pair of 12" Tannoy DMT studio monitors which i posted for sale on a vintage tannoy website....not a single bite! i could accept that, except these speakers are still in production and are their main pro line; they represent 25 years of tannoy evolution. the construction and build quality are unbelieveable. they even subplanted JBL in the 90's as the worlds most popular studio monitor. (billboard)
instead there are droves of people looking for inferior and outmoded models like tannoy golds, and reds for way too much money...i never even liked them 30 years ago, but they are legendary. there are a lot of ads searching for 15" DMT's. ANOTHER MISTAKE! i bought the 12's because they actually sounded better and matched up better with the dual concentric horn...but people want to see a big woofer i guess. :blink:

andywin
09-14-2005, 02:22 PM
instead there are droves of people looking for inferior and outmoded models like tannoy golds, and reds for way too much money...i never even liked them 30 years ago, but they are legendary.

I'm not so sure that the older models are inferior. I've had a number of both early and late models and I have to say that for domestic HiFi use, the older versions are far superior. This is probably due to the "drilled pepperpot" design of the phase plug which was changed on later models due to cost reasons, also the later cones became stiffer to allow greater power handling, affecting the sound again.
IMHO the best of all Tannoys was the 10" IIILZ model. I recently sold a pair to Japan for $2000 and have regretted parting with them.