PDA

View Full Version : Poppin' the dome

ralphs99
08-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Can anyone suggest the best way to remove the dust cap on a 252G?

I think the older drivers used an adhesive that was MEK based and became soft in the presence of the solvent. I tried MEK on the rubber surround of this driver and it didn't seem to do much. It may however be a different glue to that used on the cone assembly. I'm reluctant to get too experimental with solvents on the actual cone.

Any better ideas than simply cutting it out?

Thanks in advance,
Ralph.

Ingvar Ahlberg
08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi
Most glues tend to loosen up with heat, try with a hot-air blower, taking care not to set the cone on fire, also most glues contain stuff You dont want to inhale so work outdoors .

edgewound
08-29-2005, 01:13 PM
252G dust dome is applied with a bead of black cyanoacrylate adhesive. Gonna have an impossible time softening it up...and the fumes from heating it up hot enough to make it move will surely burn your eyes and choke you. Your best bet is to cut the dome at the inside glue edge with a new sharp Exacto #11 and replace it with a new dome...setting it on top of the old glue line...and apply a bead of your favorite dome adhesive....such as Loctite Black Max...or black Bostic or black CP Moyen

ralphs99
08-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the replys guys!

Yeah, I think I'll just go with cutting it out.

Cheers, Ralph.

ralphs99
08-30-2005, 06:46 PM
OK, Dust cap is off, surround is liberated from the frame.

The problem seems to be a sagging spider. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement spider for a 252G? Or failing that, how I can treat the existing spider to get it back in shape?

Thanks,
Ralph.

GordonW
08-31-2005, 10:12 PM
Looks like I got to the discussion here a bit late... but:

There are cyanoacrylate "removers". I've seen them, in the Wood Finishers Supply stores, along with the accelerated superglues.

HOWEVER: One GIGANTIC caveat: the remover I saw, contained NITROMETHANE, among other equally nasty-sounding chemicals. Dunno what the heck that would do to the cone, or other stuff in the speaker cone assembly. Could be a case of the cure being worse than the disease, possibly!

But, it is possible, that such stuff could be used to remove a cyanoacrylate-bonded cap. I haven't tried it out yet... not got the guts to turn that stuff loose, anywhere indoors (even with ventilation!) and it's been too nasty outside lately, to even think about working out there, at least during the times I would have been able to...

Regards,
Gordon.

ralphs99
09-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Thanks for your thoughts Gordon,

I like the sound of that Nitromethane! It may be toxic, but it sure sounds cool!

I learned something once the dust cap was off. I assumed the 252G had a 3" VC. But no, the 3" dome hides a 2" VC. I think there were some other threads that discussed the LSR32 and also made the same assumption.

Cheers, Ralph.

Alex Lancaster
09-01-2005, 09:25 AM
:) Not on speakers, but I have used industrial Acetone to remove CyanoAcrylate, would it work without destroying something else?

Dragsters use about 90% Nitro in their fuel mix, and model airplane motors use Nitro too.

I would use it of course on a well ventilated area.