PDA

View Full Version : Eq recommendations

Jakob
08-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Hi!

I'm looking for a good eq with little noice. I don't have any experinece what so ever, please help me out!

regards: Jakob

Robh3606
08-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Hello Jakob

I use Urie 839's cut only 1/3 octaves. Very quiet. The Whites are also excellent. What kind of EQ you looking for?? Cut only, parametric, how many bands?? 5,10,30?? There are a couple of different types. The 5,10,30 are all fixed filters where you can't adjust the Q/bandwidth or center frequency. A parametric allows you too adjust both bandwidth and center frequency but has less filters. What are you planning on using it for???

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/UREI-530.pdf

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/UREI-546.pdf

The two links are to owners manuals. They are for reference and do a good job of explaining a standard EQ and a Parametric. Might help you decide what you want.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
08-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Equalization is a powerful tool. An excellent equalizer can improve almost any system... unfortunately I would imagine that of the equalizers used in home systems the vast majority have done more harm than good.

A 1/3 octave RTA will help a little, but unfortunately it can't show you many of the real problems (room modes for example) that should be corrected with a narrow band cut here or there. With a 1/3 octave RTA and matching EQ you can make a pretty picture, but it is unlikely that you will be fundamentally improving the system.... when in doubt trust your ears and don't do anything too drastic. Major gains or cuts with wide Q filters like those of 1/3 octave equalizers can really create some negative phase shifts that will really alter the quality of the sound.

With all of that in mind I would recommend a White EQ... they can be difficult to get properly grounded, but they have a very transparent sound. Bo really likes his Klark Teknik DN370.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5086

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
08-22-2005, 11:57 AM
I agree with all that's been said.

A high quality eq can make sufficient gains in the performance of a home hi-fi system "if used properly". Unless you have access to a measurment tool (RTA) don't bother waisting your cash. I have never met anyone who's ear is as accurate as a Pro RTA. If your budget can handle it, I would suggest a Klark Teknik DN370/360, BSS 960/966, White 4400's. If your on a tight budget I always thought Rane GE or ME 60's were decent for the dollar. Other's would argue re the Ranes.

PS: I currently use a BSS 960 and its dead quiet. The Whites are my favorite but can be and were always noisy (GL) on my system. I have one pair left.

Ken

Jakob
08-23-2005, 03:50 AM
Ok, I will try to explain what I'm thinkig about.

It seems to me that how linear Your speakers ever are, when You put them in a room, well, then the room often contribute a lot to the speakers behaviour, and not always for the better. What I'm looking for is mostly a way to control the lower region from maybe 200-150 hz and down. Maybe You can do this in another, better way, without an eq, but rebuilding my livingroom is not an option ;)

I've heard about things called room-integrators, maybe one of those would be a better choice than a full scale eq?

Ian Mackenzie
08-23-2005, 05:03 AM
Jakob,

Hello from underneath..LOl.

It might pay to do some digging around and also look at passive devices such as bass traps and other devices that can be used to help deal with room issues.

They are not cheap nor is a good Eq but the best solution is prevention, not correction for the home. A few simple measures can be taken to assist with room acoustics without hiring a consultant and breaking the bank on acoustic treatment, try a www search.

Ian

Akira
08-25-2005, 10:45 AM
It might pay to do some digging around and also look at passive devices such as bass traps and other devices that can be used to help deal with room issues.
the best solution is prevention, not correction for the home. A few simple measures can be taken to assist with room acoustics without hiring a consultant and breaking the bank on acoustic treatment.

BRAVO! i've said it before many times...THIRD RULE OF SOUND: correct acoustic problems acoustically; correct electronic problems electronically.
you can build baffels and bass traps cheaply and even disguise them as decorative panels. move them around tell you get the best results. this will have a greater impact than EQ and will achieve results you can not attain electronically...THEN EQ YOUR ROOM!

that doesn't answer your question about which equalizer. the pros rule in this market. i would check out the new electronic EQ's. they are superior to the 'old standard 1/3 octaves' (at least in the realm of possibility) and they are even priced better. (analog costs a lot) i can't give you a URL but, DBX has a reasonably priced quality unit out with built in RTA/pink noise and downloadable software. berienger (can't be bothered to learn how to spell it) does all of this but, also has a poor sonic rep. i prefer klarke teknik but, traditionally they are in the stratosphere...Bo could tell you more about their latest stuff...he's a klarke man. :hmm: hey Bo, trade you my desk for your rack!