PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for JBL S109 woofer

Willem van Hoof
07-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Now I have learned from you how to OPEN the loudspeaker, the next question is what kind of woofer to take as a replacement!

Willem.

speakerdave
07-26-2005, 09:29 AM
the next question is what kind of woofer to take as a replacement . . . .

On the other thread you said "broken." Can you give details? Do you mean it makes no sound? Or do you mean the foam surround has deteriorated? The foam surround can be replaced, although whether the FAR will be the same is a question. If it makes no sound, check the connections and also check the resistance of the voice coil if you can. The cone kit for this woofer is still available at $168.

David

Willem van Hoof
07-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks for your remarks David!
It makes a good sound, but when I put the volume louder it starts to 'vibrate' Is this proper english?
Willem

speakerdave
07-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes, the English is good.

How is the surround?

(Be careful with your testing--don't drive this woofer too hard out of the cabinet.)

There is a sound that a woofer makes when the voice coil starts hitting something. It's very distinctive.

David

57BELAIRE
07-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi Willem.....if the speaker sounds clear at a low volume chances are it's ok and just needs a refoam.

If you can save the driver, do so at all costs, or replace it because nothing
short of another LE8 will match.

speakerdave
07-26-2005, 05:29 PM
If you can save the driver, do so at all costs, or replace it because nothing short of another LE8 will match.

It must be an LE8T-2 or 2115, the pro equivalent. These are different from other LE8T's in that they do not have the aquaplassed cone. There is an early LE8 that also has a light cone, but I don't think it is the same as the LE8T-2.

David

GordonW
07-26-2005, 08:04 PM
It must be an LE8T-2 or 2115, the pro equivalent. These are different from other LE8T's in that they do not have the aquaplassed cone. There is an early LE8 that also has a light cone, but I don't think it is the same as the LE8T-2.

David

No, they're not the same.

The very early LE8 has a whizzer cone. IIRC, none of the 2115/LE8T-2 have a whizzer cone...

Regards,
Gordon.