PDA

View Full Version : Question about 2360 Horn

Dieter
08-20-2003, 05:07 AM
Hi,

i have a question about the gasket of paper between the throat 2360 T and the horn.

Is it right, that the slot in the gasket is smaller than the opening at the throat and horn?

Dieter

Earl K
08-20-2003, 07:03 AM
Hi Dieter

- A paper gasket shouldn't be sticking into the horns' throat area. If it is then someone was sloppy with its' placement or the paper cutting machine wasn't sized correctly .

- The right amount of "free-edge" thin paper in the throat area coupled with high nodal pressure will = " Very large KAZOO " generator :bouncy:

regards <> Earl K:)

Dieter
08-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Hi boputnam & Earl K,

look at the PDF. There is a gasket between throat and the horn ( nr.: 60718-01.

At my horn the slot in the paper is smaller than the slot in the throat.

regards Dieter

Earl K
08-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Hi Dieter

I'm ( of course ) in agreement that the gasket should be used - but - just about always , the gaskets' hole size should match that of the horn flare and that of the metal throat piece ( another compression node ) . Making it smaller increasing the velocity at that one node - followed by an abrupt expansion into the horn bells' loading slot. That isn't the way horns are usually designed. That'll cause a cancellation somewhere in the passband of the horn response.

If you're asking; is this a modfication that JBL came up with to address ( ie cancel ) an unwanted horn mode ? - well - someone else will have to answer that question.

Why not make up another gasket of the correct apeture, make some detailed response measurements of the two aperture types , note the differences caused by the two aperture sizes and let us know the results . I'd like to know what you find.

You can purchase the necessary gasket materials from a local automotive supplier.

regards <> Earl K:)