PDA

View Full Version : Record Cleaning Machine

majick47
07-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Recently purchased a used VPI HW19 Mk3 turntable, also purchased 250 70s/80s rock albums from a private party to get me going. Found my old Discwasher kit that I hadn't used in 20+ years. The albums all need a good "bath" since they havn't been played for years and was wondering if any of the forum members that spin albums use a record cleaning machine (VPI/Nitty Gritty etc) and is it worth the expense. Could be mistaken but the albums overall sound smoother/more detailed then the same material on cd.

jblnut
07-07-2005, 06:42 PM
The NittyGritty systems really do get the record amazingly clean, but if we're dealing with older records that have groove damage from years of neglect, nothing is going to make them "new" again. It will make them a lot better than they were though.

I find that the old Discwasher works great when used with pure isopropanol. I've been using it for years with no problems. Just make sure to wait for the alcohol to evaporate from the disc before you begin play.

If you have the money, the NG system can't be beat. I'm saving for one myself...

jblnut

majick47
07-07-2005, 08:14 PM
JBLNUT appreciate the info re the Nitty Gritty, I remember reading one of your posts that when you wanted real enjoyment from your system you broke out the albums. Couldn't agree more and my cd players are no slouches but overall the turntable consistantly sounds better. Read numerous comments of owners of Nitty Gritty and VPI and right now I'm leaning towards the VPI 16.5, would like to find a used one if possible. Right now I'm useing a cleaning fluid with a small precentage of alcahol thats works well with the Discwasher and a final sweep with a carbon fiber brush but owners of the machines say that it gets even better after the album has been vacumed. It's extra work preping/cleaning but I look at it as letting my JBL speakers sound as they were designed to sound (circ 1970s) playing albums.

tomt
07-08-2005, 03:54 PM
majick47- Could be mistaken but the albums overall sound smoother/more detailed then the same material on cd.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
mistaken?

no, you are not!

i have not tried the vpi.

CarlV
07-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Wet vacuming is the way to go. I own a VPI 16.5 and love it. Wet vacuming with it, sometime's even twice is necessary, has made my records that are not damaged play like new ones. Sometimes it is nice to use on new records too. :)

Carl

Alex Lancaster
07-08-2005, 08:38 PM
:) What happened to those DECCA machines?

majick47
07-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Not aware of DECCA cleaning machines, so far it's VPI, Nitty Gritty and Keith Monks from UK. Some of the more recently recorded CD's sound fairly decent but my older CDs just can't match the same material on albums after listening to a large number of my old rock favorites circ 1970s/1980s. Thought it might of been my modified L200b speakers, now the LE85/2405 are smooth as butter, with CD material I had to tone down the L pads, not so when playing albums, now I have the 2405 tweeters wide open and opened up the LE85 a notch or two.

louped garouv
07-09-2005, 08:13 AM
looks promising....

A DIY project...

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

could be MUCH cheaper than a NG machine....... :applaud:

Alex Lancaster
07-09-2005, 10:18 AM
:applaud: Great link; I still have some discwasher fluid left and a couple of brushes; whoever builds one first, pls let us know.

Mr. Widget
07-09-2005, 10:50 AM
looks promising....

A DIY project...

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

could be MUCH cheaper than a NG machine....... :applaud:

Damn! That looks like another project to put in the to do pile.... I have wanted to get a decent cleaner for years, but I keep spending hundreds of dollars on new drivers etc. and never feel like I have the cash for a good cleaner... now I just need to find the time.:banghead:

Widget

CarlV
07-11-2005, 05:35 PM
but I keep spending hundreds of dollars on new drivers etc. and never feel like I have the cash for a good cleaner...

:rotfl:

Carl

louped garouv
09-02-2005, 09:12 AM
:applaud: Great link; I still have some discwasher fluid left and a couple of brushes; whoever builds one first, pls let us know.

anyone build one yet? still gathering parts here..... guess i am cheap :o:

majick47
09-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I purchased a VPI 16.5 that was unused open box for display from a audio retailer. After seeing used 16.5 rcm prices for the most part in the $350 range I ended up paying $425 shipped for mine. Seems they sell in minutes on Audiogon and I figured my time wasn't worth watching around the clock for weeks on end to find a "bargain" used one. Was it worth the money? You bet it is, no way could I get the records this clean with a Discwasher brush, I was just moving the dirt dust etc around the record. The vacume leaves the record virtually spotless. Even some of my less than perfect records that were purchased at a used record/cd store sound noticably better after a couple of cleanings. If a record is really dusty/dirty I first clean it with the Diskwasher brush before I use the VPI brush and then vacume. It'sd a fair amount of change but the results are justified. Look at it as a long term investment in your record collection and the machine should last you many years.

Dingusboy
09-02-2005, 06:51 PM
I consider a vacuum cleaning machine an absolute neccessity. I have a VPI 16.5 and I love it. You will be absolutely stunned at the difference at makes in the sound of vinyl, even vinyl that looks clean.

If given the choice of a $2K cart and no cleaning machine or a Grado black ($30) and the VPI, I'd be using a Grado black!

I use the Disc Doctor fluid but worry about all that after you get your machine.

Could be mistaken but the albums overall sound smoother/more detailed then the same material on cd.

NO MISTAKE...I haven't listened to a CD on my main system in over a month. A $150 vinyl rig will be more detailed and inviting than a $1500 Ceedee player to my ears everytime. Your results may vary but I doubt it.

qcautosports
01-24-2008, 03:24 AM
Let's revive this thread.:applaud: