PDA

View Full Version : Jbl K2 S9500

Niklas Nord
08-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Has anone been listening to these? Any Comments?
The bass drivers in these, are they better than the
2234, 2235 ? What is the value of the s9500 ?

Is this outstanding loudspeakers still?
Maybe beter than the new 9800 ?

Niklas Nord
08-15-2003, 01:28 AM
Does anybody have anything to say?
pleeeaseeee :o

Niklas Nord
08-15-2003, 03:05 PM
hello?
anyone?

Mr. Widget
08-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately, most of us on the forum are in North America where these speakers have never been available. Personally most of us then have had no experience with them.

I have heard the K2 S9800 which is available here. It is a good speaker. I heard it at a trade show so I can't say that I am very familiar with it.

Tom Loizeaux
08-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Yes, I'm curious about them too, but I find that part of the pleasure I get from listening to pro quality audio gear, like my JBL 4343s, is the satisfaction of knowing that they cost me a tiny fraction of what these new high end speakers go for. I suspect that the K2 S9800s sound good, but for me, at least, not THAT much better then my 4343s.

Tom

Niklas Nord
08-16-2003, 02:24 AM
for how mouch would a pair of s9500 cost
in the USA? used pair offcourse?
what do you think?

4313B
08-16-2003, 06:35 AM
Hi Niklas,

I can't find the U.S. MSRP prices for the S7500-K2 or S9500-K2 anywhere but I did locate the owner's manual for them.

4313B
08-16-2003, 06:36 AM
S7500-K2 / S9500-K2

4313B
08-16-2003, 06:45 AM
"The bass drivers in these, are they better than the
2234, 2235 ?"

It's been my observation that the designer seems to prefer the JBL 14 to the JBL 15, but you'd have to do your own A/B to arrive at your own conclusions. Marketing obviously would rather push a 15 than a 14. I personally can't live without either the 14 or 15. They are sufficiently different to warrant keeping both around.

Niklas Nord
08-16-2003, 06:51 AM
Thank you so mouch for answering.
maybe i will get my hands on a pair
of S9500 .-..

THEN i will be happy

Earl K
08-16-2003, 06:57 AM
Hi Giskard

Great montage of photos ! I've been meaning to ask you;
How are you able to stitch together photos and in this case move a pdf file format over to what I see as a gif file format ? :spin:
That's a really useful publishing tool ! :yes:

regards <>Earl K :)

4313B
08-16-2003, 07:07 AM
Hello Earl :)

I use Paint Shop Pro.

It allows one to take snapshots which I think is fun. :nutz:

If I save a snapshot as a gif instead of a jpg the file size usually ends up smaller. I always try both before posting something. It also depends on the source. In general jpg's are the better way to go and yield a smaller file size. If you see I've posted a gif then that's because the jpg turned out to have a larger file size.

4313B
08-16-2003, 07:09 AM
"THEN i will be happy"

Sure ya will... ;)

leif
08-16-2003, 08:19 AM
I am surprised that these speakers are not to be found in north america. How come?
Even in this little town in Norway, they have them in the audio shop. It cost a fortune though. Priced to 249.900 kroner, equal to 30.000 US dollars/25.000 Euros (approximately).
I have not heard them yet, but would like to go one day just for fun. Not that I can afford them.

Leif Arild
Sandefjord (a tiny, sleepy town in Norway)

Earl K
08-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Giskard;
Thanks for that info . Good to know. The Mac system does execute screen snap-shops,, so that part is covered .

Niklas;
Here's a pdf file on this very K2 topic. This was saved from an ancient version of this forum ( Feb. 2002 ) before its' summer melt-down. You'll see among some of the opinions expressed - that the 14" woofer just isn't for everybody. ( Personally, it's a favourite of mine - especially for the apartment dweller )

- If any of the original contributors to the old tread object to their opinions being posted in this contemporary manner then please email me at Earls' Place ([email protected]) and I'll ask Don to remove the pdf file.

regards <. Earl K

4313B
08-16-2003, 09:04 AM
"The Mac system does execute screen snap-shops"

Windows does too with Alt-Print Screen. Then a Ctrl-V to paste into any document or into a Paint program. Paint Shop Pro allows one to actually define an area inside a window to copy.

Anyway - Print Screen takes a snapshot of the entire Windows Desktop which is then captured to the clipboard and Ctrl-V to paste. Alt-Print Screen takes a snapshot of a Window. The clipboard can be accessed with Start -> Run -> clipbrd

I was ecstatic when Borland/Word Perfect/Microsoft/etc switched over from the shift-insert crap and went to the MAC standard equivalent of Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V :)

leif
08-16-2003, 09:05 AM
If you don`t find them in Stockholm, you can just fly from Skavstad with Ryanair to Sandefjord. It is very cheap, and the shop is just about 10 minutes away from the airport. I could of course pick you up. I live 5 minutes away.
The shop has also a Paragon, K2 (the old one), and a pair of Project Everest.

Don McRitchie
08-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Niklas Nord
Has anone been listening to these? Any Comments?
The bass drivers in these, are they better than the
2234, 2235 ? What is the value of the s9500 ?

Is this outstanding loudspeakers still?
Maybe beter than the new 9800 ?

I haven't heard this system, but if you are interested, seek out the M9500 instead of the K2-S9500. The "M" or monitor version has much better bass response than the "S" version according to its designer. A couple of JBL engineers use this as their home system.

Mr. Widget
08-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by leif
If you don`t find them in Stockholm, you can just fly from Skavstad with Ryanair to Sandefjord. It is very cheap, and the shop is just about 10 minutes away from the airport. I could of course pick you up. I live 5 minutes away.
The shop has also a Paragon, K2 (the old one), and a pair of Project Everest.

That is amazing. I think a field trip to Norway is in order.:)

leif
08-16-2003, 10:52 AM
Yes, you had better take a trip over.
Within 20 minutes drive, it is said to be about 10 paragons.

JBL used to sell like hot cakes in Norway years ago. And there is plenty plenty plenty good old stuff in our homes.

The shop I refer to in my town is www.imageaudio.no
check up their page. Much good stuff there. Including a full cinema!

Tom Loizeaux
08-16-2003, 03:17 PM
Why would somone want the 9500 where the compression drive/mid horn are positioned so low? I need the mids and highs to come from up near ear level! The 9800 seems to have solved this problem.
What's up with JBL, are they trying to reinvent things just to be different?
Their 14" drivers remind me of when Altec changed over to 16" drivers...is this really necessary?

Tom

Earl K
08-16-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi Tom

The horn of the S9500 & the M9500 are positioned at ear level when listening from a comfy chair. Here's a pic from the operators manual .

The 14" woofer has been around for about 40 odd years. It has most of the bass response of a well designed 15" and offers some of speed advantages of the 12". All in all a great package for applications of an "iconic" sort (2-way) .

regards <> Earl K :)

Niklas Nord
08-18-2003, 05:04 AM
The 14" driver 1400nd seems to be a great one.
Is there anyone who have been testing this?

scott fitlin
08-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
That is amazing. I think a field trip to Norway is in order.:) When we get to Norway can we drink shots of Aquavit?

Niklas Nord
08-20-2003, 12:24 AM
haha!
:D

Don McRitchie
08-20-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Tom Loizeaux

What's up with JBL, are they trying to reinvent things just to be different?
Their 14" drivers remind me of when Altec changed over to 16" drivers...is this really necessary?

Tom

Here's an interesting anecdote for you. The reason that Altec switched to 16" frames was to get around South American duty restrictions. A number of South American countries had very high import tarrifs for loudspeaker components. However, they only applied up to and including 15" drivers. With the bigger frame, a large portion of Altec's bass drivers were now duty free.

Regarding the 1400nd, this was no giimmick design. The use of a neo magnet and huge underhung coil had real performance advantages. The varsious versions of the JBL 14" driver are a favoritie for home systems since they have a number of beneficial properties. Foremost is their ability to gain good bass extension from relatively small boxes. Second, they are intrisnically resistent to dynamic offset.

ougo
01-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Hello everybody,

I have read with interest the different posts about K2 S9500 and would exchange with you on the different way to use these speakers.

I mooved one year ago from France to Switzerland and discovered that my new living room was not friend with my hifi system (audio note). I decided to sale it and to change of mind. I have to indicate that we have now a baby and hifi usage changed a little bit.

An opportunity on a pair of K2 S5500 decided myself and I used it with pleasure these last months. I matched it with a pair of Spectral DMA 80M (mono) and was quite happy of the result.
Since this week, I have a pair of S9500. I was curious and another opportunity decided myself to upgrade.

Both speakers are very different and the match with the Spectral is not as good than with the smaller 5500.
The link between the 1400nd and 475nd seems to be a little bit more "sensible".

By consequence I would be happy to have any feedbacks about it.

I have seen that some persons use it with 845 SE and I am quite interested.

Thanks for all
Regards
Ugo