PDA

View Full Version : Happy Memories

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Well its just gone 12 months since my holiday to the Ú.S.A where I was lucky enough to meet some of our key members, Bo, The Widget, John Nebel and Robert.

I always wanted to see a bit of the U.S.A and after many emails and phone chats with Bo who was very kind to provide detailed measurements of his JBL 4345's arrangements were made to stay with Bo on the first leg of my journey.

One of the most memorable experience was the plane coming into land at SF Intl airport and thinking hey is this for real?..am I really here and then meeting Bo at the arrivals lounge....I was over whelmed! This guy has the most dry sense of humour you can imagine, but I tell you he is one of the most articulate and generous people I have met.

So I stayed in Ca about a week and it was a real whirlwind.

After a good nights sleep Bo and Suz took me into the city for a tour around town....wow I was blown away. We then met up with the Widget and his wife for lunch and went back to The Widget Works to enjoy some music and later dinner out.

Another memorable moment was my driving lesson with Bo and Suz "The how to" drive on the right side of the road lesson.....that was a hoot! It was scary at first but I got the hang of it and Suz was very helpful in giving me directions for all my day trips....what a lady!

I actually drove all the way up on Hwy 80 to visit my friends at Passlabs. I thought I was going to freak out with the driving over the Bay bridge but it was actually pretty cool. I stayed over in Forest Hill with Kent English (Passlabs Rushmore designer). Kent is a very interesting guy, very reserved and quiet but he does like his hifi! Neslon Pass on the other hand is a bit of a a party animal, he's a kind of unassuming & typically SF casual and I should point out he has a keen nose for a fine Red and he adores hifi. Neslon has been known to hire a limo and go all the way into SF for a night out with his friends...why do things by half's!

From Forest Hill I then went up the Sierra's to Squaw Valley and then over to Lake Tahoe, across to Grass Valley, the Emerald Gold Mine and then back to SF. By the end of that road trip I was a little bit more confident with the driving...!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I then did a few day trips and I recall the 17 mile drive around Carmel as a bit of a highlight.

At one time Clint Eastwood was Mayor of Carmel, anyway I got the impression it was a fairly classy place and has a nice golf course...if you can afford to pay for 9 holes! I also stopped by Montery...nice.

One thing I learnt fairly quickly was on the road maps its all in miles. But when I was estimating my drive time I was thinking I was kilometres so I was late getting back to home base a couple of times.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 05:08 PM
What would a trip to SF be without visiting Alcatraz! It was a bit creepy inside and boy there's some stories to be told about being locked up in there. The views of SF and the Golden Gate bridge are impressive.

When I got back on shore I did the scenic walk up to the Coit Tower. Its a great view up there. Anyone remember the chase scene in The Bullet?

The week went quickly and we I went over to Apple Jacks for a gig Bo had arranged on the weekend....that was funny..I'll leave those pics another time.

So it was good bye to SF ...Thankyou Bo & Suz.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 05:33 PM
From SF it was off to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.

I really liked Las Vegas but a short visit was enough.

Now the plane ride down to the Grand Canyon was interesting. The pilot, a young polish woman kind of warmed to me...it must be that "shirt"...she was cute.

I found something almost spiritual about standing on the edge looking at the views of the Grand Canyon...a must see. There are a number of different tours you can do, even a barbi on the Canyon floor via helecopter!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 06:01 PM
From there I went to Denver, its was about 80 F on my arrival and then there was a cold snap...it snowed two days later. I meet John and Mary I stayed with John a couple of days. John took me on a detailed tour of his ISP offices and we went for a drive up to Esters Park.

I forget the label but we had some rather strong beers while doing listening comparisons with the 4343 & 4435's...I wonder if Don got similar treatment. It will be interesting to hear Don's comments on the 4343 vs 4435? It was the perfect stop over on my route to New England....Thankyou John.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 06:30 PM
From Denver I flew over to Albany and stayed with Claire, a family friend in Schenectady NY for a few days. This picture was taken in the Stockade, an older part of Schenectady and here also is a shot of one of the homes in the GE plot.

From there I went into Boston with Clinton and picked up a hire car and stayed over in Salem. While obviously a tourist destination I found the historical aspects of the region quite interesting...this was the beginning my American natural history lesson. I then drove down around the coast through Lynn to Cape Cod and stayed at Skacket Beach which is about midway up the Cape.

Here is the Cape Cod Lighthouse....It was recently relocated some 30 metre or so back from the cliff edge was a result of erosion.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 06:59 PM
By this time I was moderately confident with the driving so I thought I would drive back up to Boston for a look see.

So I booked in at Buckmaster hotel (West End) over the phone and the hotel reservation guy was kind enough to give me some helpful road directions.

Boston is some ways like my home city Melbourne..conservative. But the span of cultural divserity across the U.S.A was what really got me.

The Duck tour was a great way to see the city (via the river) and the Freedom Trail Tour around the city....more natural history. Here is the city skyline and the Old State House (from memory) and Harvard Law School.

I then stayed over with Clinton in Miton and took a tour of the Adams family home in Miton before catching the Amtrak to NY city.

I missed the train as I keep missing the turn of for West Milton....my only stuff up and so I got into NY about 6.00 pm..peak hour!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 07:38 PM
On arrival at Pen Station I walked over to Long Island railroad and caught the train out to meet Robert. This was New York...busy..It was kind of odd...I was the only white guy in the carriage and I had absolutely know idea where I was going! Anyway the Dude's were quite helpful and let me know what station to get off...

So I finally made it to see Robert....we got to know each other when working on the passive Eq for the 2344 horns. We listened to his system over a few beers till the early hours.

One thing that got me was..everyone would say to me...hey man does that sound right? I mean hello ....how would I know?...What would some aussie from down under know..beats me.

But Robert's system was the bee's knees..he has shares in Crown and his diy 4 way Ti is sweet. I stayed with Robert and his wife Izza over the weekend and we went into NY city for a pub crawl, we looked around Midtown and went up the Empire State Building....its a big place! We also toured around Jones Breach and Fire Island........fantastic place.....we must get Robert to post a picture of his yacht when he' got it in the water.

We both got a touch of sun burn......

I will have to visit NY again...so much to see and do..Thank you Robert.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 08:12 PM
What trip to the U.S.A would be complete without seeing Washington.

Lots of memorials, museums and places of interest.

To me Washington has an aura of power.

On I recall the 3rd day I was there I was taking a picture of the White House and The President flew in and landed on the lawn.....that was a surprise.

Unfortunately there are no tours of the White House after 9/11 but I did manage to tour the Capitol Building..

So that was basically a month, lots of fun, a few laughs with some great friends and an amazing cultural experience.

I'll be back.....:wave:

Ian

Audiobeer
06-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Damn! I'm wish I could retrace your footsteps! Sounds and looks like you had one hell of a memorable vacation! :D

Titanium Dome
06-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Great narrative and pictures. It is a great country to visit, even for those of us who live here.

Just one gripe: where's the picture of Robert's 4-way Ti system? How can you mention it and not show it to me--I mean us? :(

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Well it was only partly planned but all the stuff I did in MS was on the spurr of the moment it all just fell into place.

The culture thing is good though...the folks in CA are more up beat and go getter, in Denver/Boulder more laid back and more conservative over in MS. NY is different again...very down to earth.

I think next time I will hire a pickup truck and drive around Montana!

You guys if you get the chance should come across the Pond for a look see!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 09:21 PM
I don't recall taking a shot of the 4 ways sorry.

But it was all good..when it comes to diy speakers Robert has really got it down pat...that's why I couldn't figure being asked ...."well whata ya think Ian" .

By that stage I'd heard Bo's system, John's wall of sound. But I do like the finesse of that Ti system. Maybe Robert will post a close up of his Babies.

Ian

Titanium Dome
06-04-2005, 09:32 PM
I think next time I will hire a pickup truck and drive around Montana!

You guys if you get the chance should come across the Pond for a look see!

Ian

I remember Montana as vast, beautiful, eternally windy, and quite steamy.

I met my GF in Great Falls, MT in a restaurant/bar where we were both drinking Long Island Iced Teas and she couldn't find her way to the ladies room (or anywhere else, since she was mostly on the floor). The rest of the evening, as they say, is history.

Thank goodness we both lived in SoCal or that might have been it.

I'd love to bring her to Australia and repeat history. Do you guys make Long Islands there? Or what is your inhibition eliminator?

Ian Mackenzie
06-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Oh yeah sure we do.

Ian

Robh3606
06-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey Ian

Missed this thread! Nice pictures and it was a pleasure to have you stay the time you did. Come back when you can! Here's the picture you asked for.

Regards Rob:)

Ian Mackenzie
06-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Oh I am in love with that system.....purr.

Don't worry about the Super Moderator.....Super JBL Diy Guru will do!:applaud:

What do you think Otis?...Yep you got the thumbs up.

Ian

Tom Loizeaux
06-10-2005, 05:24 AM
A very nice travelogue!
I remember your visit to the US a while back through this forum, but I didn't know you made it to the east coast. If I had know in advance, I would have hooked up with you in Baltimore, as Washington DC is just 45 minutes away.

Anyway, it looks like it was a great trip...and it's nice that you were able to meet up with a number of Lansing Forum members.

Tom

Ian Mackenzie
06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi Tom,

What a shame,

I loved Washington.

Dang it ...as they say next time.

I have to say its nice to chat on the forums but a phone call makes the world of difference and meeting a member is a nice way to cement a friendship.

Would love to see more contact reports of member meetings on the forums.

We are a global community...what more can I say but each time I have met a forum member it has made my day and I will have to do it sometime gain real soon.

Ian

Titanium Dome
06-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Hey Ian

Missed this thread! Nice pictures and it was a pleasure to have you stay the time you did. Come back when you can! Here's the picture you asked for.

Regards Rob:)

Rob

Did you post the history of this gem somwhere? If not, how about a little lesson for the terminally curious?

Zilch
06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
HEY! 45 minutes from here you coulda seen Livermore or Milpitas, even.

[Modesto'd be twice that, probably.... :p ]

Ian Mackenzie
06-11-2005, 03:27 AM
Zilchmaster,

How are those PT wave guides going?

B/n those, charge coupling, Blue paint and Blue fabric we should have the bases covered!

Ian

Robh3606
06-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Hello Ian

What a nice looking cat!!! Looks like a mini black leopard

Hello Dome

Those are my XPL 200 clones. What got me seroiusly interested was a single 093TI from ebay for $40 BIN. Had a couple of issues which I worked out and got it working. Dropped it into a JUBAL. Once I heard the driver, which was much better than the LE5-6 I was hooked. About a month latter NOS 093TI and XPL-200A crossover show up on ebay. Once I had the mids and crossover I decided to try to build a pair. Didn't try to copy the cabinet went for "no baffle" using a very narrow one with foam to absorb reflections. Cabinets are just MDF. The pictures are the original version that had 050 Gold tweeters and 122A woofers instead of the stock 046 and 2214. Took over a year for the 046's to show up on Ebay. I run them in biamp mode using the same setup I run my 4344 with just rotate them out every month or so. I really like them and they stand up very well to the bigger systems.

Rob:)

Zilch
06-11-2005, 09:27 AM
How are those PT wave guides going?Just in case you missed it, Mr. Widget and I did some extensive testing on PT Waveguides using various drivers:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6050

We'll be doing some follow-up tests today, actually (tweeterz study day), and some polar response measurements later, probably, though we have no reason to question the JBL specs on that part, as it is a major aspect of the designs.

Other than that, we're waiting for Guido to get his 2431H drivers and complete independent testing of the PT-H waveguides he now has. I'm always a little uneasy about my own results until others have had opportunity to verify them. In the meantime, I'm trying them with different woofer combinations, tweaking their crossovers, building cabinets for them, and just plain enjoying listening to them every day.

They're the bee's knees here for now.... :)

Ian Mackenzie
06-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Zilch,

Pending how the day goes Otis and I will put up a limited edition picture (with the JBL Sound Power shirt you send me) here.....autographs anyone....:rotfl:

Ian

JBLnsince1959
06-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Rob

In post 23, the second picture with the unfinished boxes, what's behind the unfinished box. Looks like an old JBL ( C-35?)

just wondering.......

Titanium Dome
06-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Hello Dome

Those are my XPL 200 clones.
Rob:)

Thanks for the inside info. Looks like a great project. :bouncy:

porschedpm
06-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Ian. You've seen more of America than many Americans. The door's always open for you here.

Ed

Ian Mackenzie
06-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks Ed,

Well America is abig country...a frontier. I flew United all the way and with Ted on some of the internal flights...they were good.

Ah Otis comes up better on camera than I...(very grungy that day...and feeling a bit poorly) so here we are! The cat would not keep still...he gets very excited when the camera comes out.

Ian

Zilch
06-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Ah Otis comes up better on camera than I...(very grungy that day...and feeling a bit poorly) so here we are!Otis sez: "Dude, that shirt's a certified BABE magnet...." :applaud:

["Which band are we with tonight?" :p ]

Ian Mackenzie
06-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Yeah I know...I had it on out last night.....time for brunch on Albert Park Lake.

If I can make it over I will wear it to a Gig.......Bo is planning.

Ian