PDA

View Full Version : Velodyne Subs

louped garouv
06-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I was reading through old posts and noticed this......

Have you guys heard the velodyne subs? are they all powered? All the ones I have noticed on Epay have been 10/12" actives......

just curious.....

Well, I can only speak for the guys here at Universal Music. Jimmy Iovine has in his office, large Tannoys powered by Bryston amps, and in his main conference room it is 6 Dynaudios, 2 Velodyne Subs and one Tannoy center speaker. This is the most incredible system I have yet heard, though probably not what would be considered audiophile.

Fred Durst,

Genelics

Ron Fair, A&M Records President,
Yamaha NS10's powered by Bryston
Dynaudios and Velodyne

Jordan Shur, Geffen Records President,

Office; Tannoys powered by Bryston, Velodyne sub
Private conference room; Dynaudios and Velodyne sub

From what I know, and being a musician myself, Most musicians rarely just sit to listen to music. they are amost always listening to evaluate or learn from what is on the disc. Most are more concerned with the system in their car than the one in their home. Most of them have some sort of home studio as well and in there it is usually nearfield monitors.

Blessings, Terry

Audiobeer
06-01-2005, 09:02 PM
They used to be "the sub". Now the competition is thick. They still are very nice and depending on the money still could be the best dollar for dollar. They sell a crapload of subs in all price ranges. Some for HT and others for audiophiles. I have owned a couple in the past for home theater use and I always liked them.

Mr. Widget
06-03-2005, 12:37 AM
I have a Velodyne HGS 10... the smallest in the HGS series and purportedly the most musical. A couple of years ago the HGS series was their TOTL... they have a couple of more advanced designs now that include a calibrated mic and subwoofer EQ.

For the most part Velodynes are self powered and use a servo loop to keep distortion down. I am amazed that my 11" cube can produce bass as low as 20Hz with great authority... and is flat to 25Hz. It will put out more at 25Hz than a Paragon or most any vintage JBL... truly amazing. That said, I feel they sound like a bass pump. I use mine below 50Hz to minimize this effect, but I prefer my Sub1500 any day of the week... but if you are space limited...

Widget

rgrjit8
06-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Stay away from the ULD series. Velodyne no longer supports them nor will the company answer any of your emails. I finally found a place to refoam my ULD-18 for 200 BUCKS! (It was supposedly a custom job - Yeah, custom ream job!)

If you need a full recone, you're screwed because then the accelerometer circuit is open which in turn disables the amp.

Before I found a place to refoam the surround I toyed with the idea of popping a JBL 2245 into the hole and finding someone who could "trick" the Velodyne amp into continuing to operate without the accelerometer circuit in line. Luckily it didn't come to that.

Other than that, the Velodyne is able to play deeper, and, at all but drunken payday night volumes, is capable of noticeably augmenting my 4355s.
Yeah, I was surprised too.

I'll buy a second one only if it's cheap enough to pay for it's own overhaul.

JuniorJBL
06-06-2005, 04:03 PM
but I prefer my Sub1500 any day of the week...

Widget

I have not found that many subs sound more musical than a JBL driver in the proper box. That said the box is usualy large to say the least. The velodyne does sound pretty good for the size.
My sub1500's in both a 2.2Cu Ft and 3.8 cu ft box are small and can pretty much be the end all sub for me for the size. The 2242 on the other hand in a 10 cu ft box can demo buildings if that is your desire.:D