PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha ns-1000

John W
04-25-2005, 11:30 AM
I purchased a pair of Yamaha ns-1000s speaker from our local thrift shop recently. :applaud: The tweeters and midrange are in great shape, but the woofers are locked up tight. Unfortunately there are no replacements in sight.
Anyone have any experience with mating the top end of this excellent speaker to a JBL woofer?

jblnut
04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
That's an interesting concept for sure ! Those are another speaker on my "need to hear" list - supposedly amazing at certain things (like classical piano reproduction).

You might check with the guys over a audiokarma.org. There are several people with NS Yamahas there and they have a big DIY community as well. If you can find out the specs on the woofer over there, I'm sure one of the JBL experts here can recommend the closest match. It's probably not going to sound "right" but it might just sound "good", maybe "great" even... :)

jblnut

I purchased a pair of Yamaha ns-1000s speaker from our local thrift shop recently. :applaud: The tweeters and midrange are in great shape, but the woofers are locked up tight. Unfortunately there are no replacements in sight.
Anyone have any experience with mating the top end of this excellent speaker to a JBL woofer?

Don McRitchie
04-25-2005, 02:05 PM
If you were to change out the woofer for anything else, then I would consider biamping. That way, you at least don't have to worry about sensitivity mismatches. With that out of the way, tuning the enclosure for a resonable LF response should be doable for a number of JBL woofers.

BTW, the NS-1000 is my all time favourite Japanese bookshelf speaker. The beryllium mids and highs have transient response and transparancy that is more traditionally found in electrostatic speakers.

Robh3606
04-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Food for thought, JBL mates the 2214 with a compression driver in the 4425 and the Titanium domes in the XPL series. It is one quick sounding woofer. After that I would look at the 128h-1. Do you know what the internal volume is??

Rob:)

John W
04-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I checked out AudioKarma.org and found a few interesting threads. It appears that the woofer magnet may be prone to shifting if the cabinets are dropped, locking in the voice coil. This may be the problem with mine.
Otherwise, the only info I have is from the owners manual. The speakers are crossed over at 500hz and 6000hz. I think a bi-amp setup is the way to go. I already have the electronics and could use the bass box for some other projects in the works, like the 1200hz smith horns.
I will have to measure for the internal volume.

johnaec
04-25-2005, 08:56 PM
JBL mates the 2214 with a compression driver in the 4425 and the Titanium domes in the XPL series.Don't forget the 2214H was also used in the L100T/T3 with the 104H-2 midrange and 035TI/TIA.

John

GordonW
04-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I checked out AudioKarma.org and found a few interesting threads. It appears that the woofer magnet may be prone to shifting if the cabinets are dropped, locking in the voice coil. This may be the problem with mine.
Otherwise, the only info I have is from the owners manual. The speakers are crossed over at 500hz and 6000hz. I think a bi-amp setup is the way to go. I already have the electronics and could use the bass box for some other projects in the works, like the 1200hz smith horns.
I will have to measure for the internal volume.

Yep, that's is VERY likely the problem. I am the one, who fixed that problem, for one of the guys over at AudioKarma...

I actually carefully removed the loose magnet assembly, removed the bonded-on metal grille, carefully peeled the surround from the cone, cut out the old spider, unsoldered the leads, pulled out the cone assembly, shimmed and re-glued (epoxy) the magnet back into place, installed a new spider, and re-assembled the whole thing back together. Worked great!

If that's all that is wrong with the NS1000s, I wouldn't hack 'em up. They're worth some serious coin these days... I've seen clean pairs sell from $500 and up...

Like I said, I can probably fix those woofers, probably not more than $60-75 each, to make them play like-new, if it's just a shifted magnet and no other damage. If you like, PM me...

Regards,
Gordon.

John W
04-26-2005, 07:30 AM
Thanks, I was hoping you would reply. These are the ns-1000 in rosewood veneer, and dont have the screens on the drivers. I will send you a PM.

jblnut
04-26-2005, 08:52 AM
BTW, the NS-1000 is my all time favourite Japanese bookshelf speakers. The beryllium mids and highs have transient response and transparancy that is more traditionally found in electrostatic speakers.

Oh great...

Here I am trying to limit the number of speakers in the house and then you go and post something like this. And they're not even JBLs ! You'll be hearing from my wife (and not in a good way)...

:)

jblnut

PS - thanks for confirming what I had read. These really *were* something special...

John W
04-26-2005, 09:10 AM
I was telling my wife about this great site, but noted there didn't seem to be any women posting anything. She just rolled her eyes and said something with the word "obsessive" in it that I didn't quite catch. I guess all the women are on the Bose forum.
Maybe there should be a parallel support site "Wives of Lansing Heritage Forum" with posts like "Decorating around my husbands hobby"

Zilch
04-26-2005, 10:17 AM
That's wrong.

More like posessed, actually.

We are not to blame in this.... :D

Alex Lancaster
04-26-2005, 12:53 PM
:) JBL-Anon maybe?

briang
04-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Maybe there should be a parallel support site "Wives of Lansing Heritage Forum" with posts like "Decorating around my husbands hobby"
:rotfl:
the latter applies to the way my wife sees things.
:D

Figge
05-04-2005, 02:27 AM
my old man and i bought 6 pairs of ns1000M 4 pairs of Tandberg TL-5020 all with Some Xelex mono amps + a pair of JBL 4406 from swedish television, they´r scrapping studios here like crazy!. anyway i just HAD to try a pair together with my JBL:s. i placed them ontop of my 4430:s hooked em up with a own amp. and wow! very sweet! they lacked the bass but had very fine mid/high. worked very fine together with my 4430. so im shure there´s a jbl 12" to use in your ns1000 with good result. are u shure there arent any replacement? i would quess they still have replacements for ns1000M. since its the proffesional version of yours.

oh! running 3pairs of ns1000 stacked. worked like a charm too:)

Figge
05-04-2005, 03:25 AM
Do you know what the internal volume is??

Rob:)

external volume is 80L according to my data sheet, no internal volume printed. ipm:4Ohm, crossover:500/6000Hz. judging by the look of the filter i´d say its a 18db

John W
05-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the info. These are up and running now. I was able to disassemble the Yamaha woofers and re-center the magnet. The voice coils were undamaged.
They play fantastic, especially in the smaller room I have them now. Not real loud, but very detailed and engaging.
I am not sure what to do now. I was originally going to sell them to finance some other projects, but they are quickly growing on me.

paragon
05-04-2005, 08:51 AM
My father has a pair of these Beauties. The workmanship (?) is on top.
The sound of mid and highs are incredible.
Never heared such good sound from a "bookshelf" speaker.
He drives them with Yamaha T-1 Tuner, YP-D8 Turntable, CS-1a Pre and M-4 Poweramp.
:applaud:
Eckhard

tomt
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
:) JBL-Anon maybe?

JBL-Anon.. no!

bose-Anon... h3ll yesse!

ns-1000 made a stirl in england,those with solid state said they sound harsh,
those with tube amps knew they were great

pennylane records in kansas city has a pair,in use, southwest corrner of broadway and archibald st

JBLnsince1959
05-06-2005, 02:24 PM
JBL-Anon.. no!

pennylane records in kansas city has a pair,in use, southwest corrner of broadway and archibald st

hmmm..... :hmm: I live in the KC area, maybe I'll go by

tomt
05-06-2005, 03:12 PM
hmmm..... :hmm: I live in the KC area, maybe I'll go by

i have not been in there for quite some time

however they been in there for at least 15 years

most likley still are

did you see these?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/69534289.html

tomt
05-06-2005, 08:23 PM
and yet another(L26)