PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a can of RAID handy?

4313B
04-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Spiders!

pmakres1
04-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Yes what's up with this??

4313B
04-10-2005, 05:41 PM
This is what is going on:

pmakres1
04-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Black Flag works pretty good too...:nutz: :nutz:

boputnam
04-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Yes what's up with this?? The price - or cost - of success... :help:

Robh3606
04-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Well what's the deal?? Is it normal to see that much activity on a site from them bugs??

Rob:)

4313B
04-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Basically what it has done is opened up our whole forum to the WWW. It will be interesting to see what happens. We have a lot of information and discussions that I don't feel need to be searchable by just anyone through Google.

pmakres1
04-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Basically what it has done is opened up our whole forum to the WWW. It will be interesting to see what happens. We have a lot of information and discussions that I don't feel need to be searchable by just anyone through Google.

I agree...it seems like it happened overnight. It was obvious it had something to do with the google search engine, but the "spider" thing was what I wondered about. Anything Don can do to kill the spiders? :die: :die:

Peter

duaneage
04-10-2005, 08:04 PM
How ddi they get past the sign in requirement automatically? If not, can the account be killed to prevent entry?

Many software companies block google looks for a number of reasons, most of them legal.

Don C
04-10-2005, 08:21 PM
I think that the spiders could be prevented from indexing the site with a robots.txt file, but I don't see any harm coming from Lansing Heritage being found in Google.

Don McRitchie
04-10-2005, 08:38 PM
The spiders can read posts just like any guest that visits the forum and does not log in. If they try to get to areas restricted to registered members (user CP, private forums, PM's) they will be blocked by vBulletin. You can see this indicated by a little stop sign icon beside the bot entry on the "who's online" page whenever it reaches one of these links.

These spiders are nothing new. They have been visiting and indexing every page of our site and every forum since the day we opened. If it wasn't for them, we would never have grown beyond a small niche site with maybe a few hundred members. My guess is that more new members find out about our site through Google hits on forum posts than any other means. This is because if you type in the most common search terms (JBL or Altec Lansing) you will find us buried pages deep in the search results. It's only with a specific search like "biased and bypassed" that you are taken to our forum.

The only reason they seem to have shown up out of nowhere is that I recently set a switch on vBulletin to translate IP addresses for spiders into the specific search engine name such as "Google Spider". They were always there before, just never explicitly identified.

boputnam
04-10-2005, 09:02 PM
The price - or cost - of success... :help: It will broaden our membership and overall, our depth.

There will always be some newbies lusting after their newfound / newly refurbished L100's, but we will convert them, over time... :argue:
:duel:
:idea:

:coolness:

:applaud:

Titanium Dome
04-10-2005, 10:03 PM
It will broaden our membership and overall, our depth.

There will always be some newbies lusting after their newfound / newly refurbished L100's, but we will convert them, over time... :argue:
:duel:
:idea:

:coolness:

:applaud:

Well, you can try anyway. Some of us just don't want to be saved. :no: :nanana:

We're dancin' at the L100 Disco right outside of Hell. :banana: :dj-party: :dancin:

(And no, I don't mean the one in Michigan.)

pmakres1
04-10-2005, 10:39 PM
If it wasn't for them, we would never have grown beyond a small niche site with maybe a few hundred members. My guess is that more new members find out about our site through Google hits on forum posts than any other means.

....if it's okay with Don, it must be okay! And like Bo says-

It will broaden our membership and overall, our depth.

And as for the L100's:

Well, you can try anyway. Some of us just don't want to be saved.:no: :nanana:

I don't know what it is, but I sold my L100's 23 years ago to buy my L220's, and while there is absolutely no doubt that the L220 is the superior speaker, to this day I still miss my L100's! I don't know what it is about the L100...:dont-know :confused:

So come on in newbies, and bring your L100's with you!

Best to all,

Peter

jandregg
04-11-2005, 08:21 AM
I have to agree. I sold my centry 100s 30 years ago and built a better speaker

but I still miss the 100s.

Regis
04-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Now that my bud owns a pair of L-150's, he's thinking of relegating the L-100's to the 'future game room' aka the garage. He say's it just isn't the same listening to them anymore. They're kind of 'in your face' vs. the L-150's smoothness, but who am I to judge?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/blink.gif

Titanium Dome
04-11-2005, 11:32 PM
\ They're kind of 'in your face'
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/blink.gif

I think they're supposed to be in your face. :bouncy:

Like I was at 18, in the Man's face, ready to tell it like it was, hair halfway to my ass, hitchin' to D.C. from Michigan State to evict Tricky Dickie from the White House, ready to change the world, lettin' Robert and Roger and Grace and Janice and Jimi and Lou and Iggy get in my face in a 8x10 dorm room through the magic of L100s.

:band: For those about to rock: L100s please. :rockon1:

L150s and L220s are so middle-class, middle-age... :blah:

Just kiddin' ya, guys. Love your Big Ass speakers. :wave: :moon: Ha!

LE15-Thumper
04-12-2005, 12:51 AM
A bit more info on these spiders : http://www.searchenginepromotionhelp.com/m/articles/search-engine-optimization/googles-new-spider.php