PDA

View Full Version : Slicing the BS....

jblnut
03-23-2005, 12:49 PM
If you've been into hi-fi for a long time - and a lot of us here have - you've no doubt noticed the sharp increase in what I would call "peripheral" audio product sales. Starting with speaker wire, this market has spiraled out of control to the point where we now have $2500 AC power cords and little miniature stands to keep wires from coming into contact with the floor. I'm a huge skeptic myself and I find it troubling that more people aren't speaking out about this insanity.

I just stumbled across this article which you might find interesting. Some folks in the audio community actually conducted a fairly scientific listening test of botique AC power cords. The results...you'll have to read for yourself...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

jblnut

PS - just trying to help you all save money for the really important things - more JBL's !

Steve Gonzales
03-23-2005, 01:09 PM
That article is not going to go over very well with the world's TWEEK SNOBS but I'm glad that somebody had the BALLS to at least attempt to de-bunk that nonsense. While there is no doubt that a good solid pair(s) of RCA cables are going to perform better than the $1 box of yardsale red/white/yellow patch cords, that MEGA buck SH*T is a rip-off and how correct you are Sir for pointing this out!. The average GoodGuys salesperson will, by design, try to sell you about 20% over the cost of your HT in cabling and that is the BOTTOM of the ripoff pyramid. There are some well known thieves out there that will have the f*cking NERVE to try and sell a 1 meter pair of RCA cables for $10,000 !!!!!. Boy, what could I do with 10k?!. Anyways, as you can see, this is a sore spot for me and always has been. Thank you for the "heads-up", Steve G

jblnut
03-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Here's an excellent diatribe written by Mr John Dunlavy (sound familiar?) concerning his distaste with the cable industry:

http://www.verber.com/mark/cables.html

jblnut

Ken Pachkowsky
03-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Hmmm. What could I get for those 4500.00 Westlake speaker cables out in the garage?

Thanks Steve.

PS: Do you need some battery cables?

Ken

pmakres1
03-23-2005, 03:44 PM
....and I agree with Steve 1000 percent. Just think what could be sitting behind that JBL emblem for 10 grand!!! I'll reiterate what Steve said, you need some decent cables in a decent system, but $10,000 for a pair of interconnects? Really now! And the same goes for the $6,000 speaker cables I've seen. All of my system's primary signal path is connected with Audioquest Diamondbacks (about $100 for a 1 meter pair) and that's good enough for me...I'm sure some would say I'm crazy to spend that much, and some others would spend more...but hey, to each his own. But, enough is enough! My main speaker cables are Tributaries OFS/OFC (about $5/ft) and the cable to my B460 sub is Audioquest crystal that I bought used from a dealer for I think about $70. I haven't ever gotten into the fancy power cord thing...well that's my two cent's worth, now I'll have to read the article!

Peter M.

Steve Gonzales
03-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Look here for the MOST ridiculous list of cable/price. Scroll down to the bottom to see where my anger stems from...

http://www.fatwyre.com/speaker7_03.html :banghead: :blah: :bs:

Are these pieces of SH%T worth more than 6 pairs of TAD 4003's or 15 pairs of mint 375's or ( insert your DREAM here)????

pmakres1
03-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Gimme a break! and of course, you need more than one (maybe quite a few more than one) to complete your system....

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

Steve Gonzales
03-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Anyone have some to share? :blink:

johnaec
03-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Don't forget to order your "Quantum Purifier" there.

Quote: "A Quantum Purifier is a device that creates a barrier and sizes, cleans, aligns, and stabilizes individual electrons and "throws out" the bad/irregular electrons."

Huh... :confused:

John

Steve Gonzales
03-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Holy line of Bullsh*t, Batman! :barf:

pmakres1
03-23-2005, 04:35 PM
I forget who made them but some years back there was a cable that surrounded the conductor sleeves with a liquid...for big $$$ of course. Somebody coined the term "fish cable" cuz you could maybe put your goldfish in them...:barf:

Titanium Dome
03-23-2005, 04:50 PM
"throws out" the bad/irregular electrons."

John

Grr-r-r-r-r-r! I have ALWAYS hated bad/irregular electrons.

:die: bad electrons
:die: irregular electrons
:die: bad AND irregular electrons

Die, you farging bastiches.

For this much electronic "magic" to work, I guess I should pay $50 to get my ears cleaned out first.

Steve Gonzales
03-23-2005, 04:52 PM
LOL !!!!

Titanium Dome
03-23-2005, 04:59 PM
a cable that surrounded the conductor sleeves with a liquid...for big $$$ of course.

I think those were filled with dog p!$$. Not just any dog, mind you, but special dogs that had a totally liquid diet that was high in electrolytes that could be bound to inert ingredients pumped directly into their stomaches. They urinated into special catheters that connected direct to the cable casings in question.

It was kind of like those Civet cats that sh!t coffee beans for the true coffee aficionado. :barf: MM-m-m-mm, tastes great!

Steve Gonzales
03-23-2005, 05:03 PM
you are ripe for a guest apperance on the Tonight Show :applaud:

Robh3606
03-23-2005, 05:14 PM
'I think those were filled with dog p!$$."

I live in New York and will give you a special deal on the Brooklyn Bridge. Exclusive I promise;)

Ian and I went into the Stereophille show when he visited. Actually had more fun in the bars getting there!! It was a hoot! Where else can you audition a mid priced set-up with over $10,000 in cables. 6K for the speaker cables and 4k for the rest in a simple CD/Pre/Power stereo set-up. Actually got to hear some set-ups where the speaker cables were priced higher than the speakers!!! It just amazes the hell out of me. Think those speaker cables cost more than what I have invested in all my set-ups combined!!!

Rob:)

hector.murray
03-23-2005, 06:02 PM
Jeez! What a discovery! A queer electron filter! Now I know how to protect that $50 VCR that keeps hickupping! Just get the queer electron filter and voila all my worries are over! No more queer electrons running around gumming up the works!
Just need to get it on the AC side.

hector.murray
03-23-2005, 06:37 PM
according to the filter designers

pmakres1
03-23-2005, 06:47 PM
I think those were filled with dog p!$$. Not just any dog, mind you, but special dogs that had a totally liquid diet that was high in electrolytes that could be bound to inert ingredients pumped directly into their stomaches. They urinated into special catheters that connected direct to the cable casings in question.

It was kind of like those Civet cats that sh!t coffee beans for the true coffee aficionado. :barf: MM-m-m-mm, tastes great!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
:barf: :barf: :barf: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: