PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Amp Question

lpd
07-25-2003, 11:04 PM
Ok..so I've made a new discovery this weekend. It seems my 2420 drivers are fine, (they measure at 7.1 and 6.1 ohms), but I discovered why the one driver is intermittent occasionally. The bi-amp switch inside has blades which swipe overtop a disc. Some of these blades don't contact very well. I tried to gently pry them tighter, but I'm not sure if I fixed anything. Any idea on how to fix this? Can I purchase a new one?

Last question is it ok to have a difference between the drivers testing 7.1 and 6.1 ohms?

Thanks guys

Peter

lpd
07-26-2003, 09:56 AM
Hardwire??? :banghead: hehe looks like I have some work ahead of me. I assumed the drivers were ok and the seals are untouched. No sense crackin em' if not needed. I guess I should follow this forum a little more, as I missed the post on the bi-wire switch. Sorry for a repeat.

Tom Loizeaux
07-26-2003, 03:49 PM
I cleaned the rotary switches in my 4333s with good results. Use a quality contact cleaner, gently rub the disc contact areas to remove the gunk. Clean as much of the contact points on the rotary disc as you can. Repeated gentle cleaning can be effective. If you feel the contacts have spread, carefully try to push/pinch them back together.
After some extensive exchange I've located a replacement rotary switch from Electroswitch. I gave this info. to JBL pro, but I don't know if they've coordinated this kind of stuff. If you need replacements and can't get JBL to admit they know where and what to get, contact me. You will, if you replace these, have to pull the foilcal sticker to get the new switches in correctly.
I recently cleaned the same type switches, ending with a treatment of Pro Gold when I rehabbed my 4343s and they are working fine!

Tom