PDA

View Full Version : Pls listen to this

Alex Lancaster
02-26-2005, 07:56 PM
:) My 20 yr son is making a record with His group, pls log on to www.mantralp.com (http://www.mantralp.com), access, go to "lp", "status", and the 2 songs that have a blue tone kind of burst are the ones that work; I would really like to have Your opinion.

Thanks, Alex.

Steve Gonzales
02-28-2005, 02:01 AM
I always ask myself, "Can I picture this song playing on the radio?". Well, I can. Very talented group, very easy to listen to. You should be proud of your son and his band.

Alex Lancaster
02-28-2005, 06:00 AM
:) Thanks Steve; The rest of the guys: come on We need suggestions and opinions!

Earl K
02-28-2005, 06:34 AM
Hmmmm, I've tried Alex - but I don't get anything to listen to .

- That ancient "Mayan/Aztec/Olmec ? stone" just keeps spinning while the "Recording" sign keeps flashing .

- The playlist behind the "Access" button never fills in . Nothing is listed .

4313B
02-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I think I'd have to hear them on something a bit better than my computer sound system (ubiquitous Creative stuff). The instrumentals sound good. How is the lead singer in person? Richer, fuller voice?

Alex Lancaster
02-28-2005, 10:33 AM
:) Earl: Pls try again, it happened to me too, maybe a glitch?

Giskard: That is it for the singer; I have heard the CD's, they are still working on the project, IŽll talk to my son this evening about how to get more sound quality.

Thanks for the response.

Earl K
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
- I made some changes to my settings - this time it worked . :cheers:
- I'll add my critique within a day or two .

:rockon2:

Mr. Widget
02-28-2005, 12:35 PM
I wonder about a band that has a song titled Angles Exist and Love Me like a Bitch on the same album, but what the hell. :)

Those two songs sound great. I am with Giskard, I'd like to hear them for real to really get a feel for them. My only computer audio access is through a cheapo USB headset.

Widget

Titanium Dome
02-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Alex

I'm going to be honest, because you asked for opinions. If you want only praise, then read no further. Just to qualify my opinions a bit, I was music director, then station manager of college station WSAE-FM in the late 60s early 70s. I auditioned A LOT of music. I also played in several bands, most of which were forgettable, though a couple did grind out some passable rock'n'roll. I also did the weekend DJ thing on a couple of stations in the midwest.

Now, on to the music in question:
1) Others have sidled up to this, but I'll say it straight. The vocals are the weakest part. Either the group needs another vocalist, or the vocals need to be re-recorded, or the melody needs to be rewritten. The vocalist's voice is interesting, but it (or the melody or the recording) becomes tiresome and detracts from the overall sound. Since the vocal is front and center, it makes or breaks the song. In this case, it breaks it in my opinion.

2) The keyboards need to be cleaned up and the keyboarding style needs more musicality. On the first song ("...Yellow...") the plodding keyboard work is a real distraction. It's better on the second song, but there seem to be (perhaps intentionally?) some misplayed notes and slightly late attacks.

3) The heart of the band (guitat, bass, drums) is pretty darn good here. If I could get rid of the vocalist and the keyboards, I'd enjoy listening to these guys as a power trio.

So, there's the down and dirty. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but I do mean to provide you with honest feedback.

Now, don't yell at me. :die:

Alan Fletcher
03-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Tried with both Internet Explorer AND Firefox. No Go. The orange box just sits there and says "building..." whatever that means.

Alex Lancaster
03-03-2005, 08:14 AM
:) IŽll recheck with my son, thanks for trying.

Alex Lancaster
03-03-2005, 09:31 AM
:) I rechecked, and it works with Explorer:

www.mantralp.com (http://www.mantralp.com/)
click on "access"
" " LP Status

Only the 2 songs with a blue tone burst work.

pls let me know.

Bo Putnam, I am waiting for Yr response:dancin:.

Alan Fletcher
03-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey... not bad. Lots of potential here. When is it coming out on vinyl?

:applaud:

boputnam
03-03-2005, 12:31 PM
I would really like to have your opinion. I finally got around to this - been stuck on web-simulcasts for three days...

Yellow Tree: Nice. Interesting construction, and instrumentation - keys/cello intro to solid kick, keys and acoustic. Bridge has nice feeling; chorus brings it home in good style.

Production (JMO):
- Pan the keys and guitar opposing hemispheres, about 30° off-center
- keep the keys and guitar in a consistent position (the movement on the soundstage is annoying and distracting). Even with the overtracking, this should be maintained.
- pan the cans (toms) wide R/L, at-least 55°
- snare sounds planar - needs some FX
- pan the cymbals (crash and ride) wide R/L - wide I say.
- one of the crash's sounds really cheap - like a rubbish tin lid. Get some good ones - it matters A GREAT DEAL.
- the female needs some pitch support. Most evident on chorus (second phrase each time, and each chorus ending), and particularly on the final, ending chorus where she's quite passionate - it is driving her off pitch - but I like the passion in her voice! :yes: ). I'd fatten her up with a higher ratio on the comp/limiting.
- I don't like the changing panning of vocals at the end, but that's just me.

Angels Exist: Equally good. Intro -> v1 transition needs something else (see below). The nearly acapella bridge bit is cool. The chorus is really good - it's got hooks.

Production:
- I'd add some light cymbals texture background to the keys intro, and a chimes sweep into intro end.
- transition to first verse is not confident - that tempo change (intro is 8/4, verse is 4/4...?) is a potential disaster. Get it sorted out so she knows the que's and its seamless. The change is so extreme, you may need a longer pause between intro and the 4/4 part. I'd give it to the Kit - maybe a subtle Kit fill, toms roll to snare+hat establishing the 4/4 cadence before she sings...
- ibid on the pitch support
- ibid on snare
- panning is better, but not enough.
- female is not big enough on the chorus; swimming through the intruments. Get her on top, where she belongs.
- wa-wa guitar too dominant; knock it back 3dB
- guitar lead is to me the wrong patch (but it is your style) - to me it's a bit too searing, too caustic. But I understand and feel the energy build you've got going.
- ending bit - try a subtle B3 (using chording inversions, slow Leslie) against her vocal arpeggio. The pizzacato piano is fighting her note-by-note articulation - except it does bring it back to the intro bit (outro). Maybe back her vocals with B3, then go to the piano solo for the outro...? That would be full circle since the intro is sans vocals.
- outro tempo switch (back to 8/4) is again, a bit of a struggle, but better than the intro.

Otherwise this track is similarly constructed to Yellow Tree. Need to show your diversity more, and get outa your own ruts.

Overall, it'd have a bit more drive if the bassman tags it more frequently with the kick - when the kick is double-kicked bassman should do likewise. Together. Lots of room for this in the chorus, doods. Drummer is often doing a double kick on beat three of many measures of the chorus - try and join him. Powerful stuff...

BUT, after a half-dozen listens I better understand what you are shooting for on this track, and like it, a lot. Maybe Titanium Dome has a point on that guitar patch - since we only have two cuts from the album, it may be we haven't heard your diversity, yet... :hmm:

Show us more...

And, apologies... As any FOH engineer will tell you, we are cursed. We do production real-time and listen intensely to the product because we can (and do...) try and fix it real time so the audience hears the artists best they can, in spatial position relative to the staging of the band. As such, we get hardened to the nuances and get the knobs right, fast. I have suggested what I would do FOH, although there are much greater subtleties that can be sought for recordings. Oldmics - you out there...?

(ps: Alex - I just noticed you asking me - flattered. I had this on the to-do list anyway, just been buried. Sorry it too so long to get at.)

-------------------

Modified / added to my comments after a listen in my studio.

Mr. Widget
03-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Otherwise this track is too similarly constructed to Yellow Tree. Need to show your diversity more, and get outa your own ruts.

That would be my biggest criticism as well. Especially the cool acoustic intro cutting to powered rock... it is being done here well above average, but please not on every song.

Others have criticized the singer for being too wimpy... on my wimpy USB headset... who knows?

By and large a significant effort and well done. When there is more do let us know.

Widget

Alex Lancaster
03-03-2005, 03:00 PM
:) :) :) BIG Thanks, keep them comming, You can imagine how happy my son & group are, they need Your Help.

Titanium Dome
03-03-2005, 03:04 PM
belongs.
- guitar lead is to me the wrong patch (but it is your style) - to me it's too searing, too caustic. Maybe stay on the acoustic, keep the energy suggestive rather than in-our-face? Dunno...

Just as a counterpoint, I reveled in its searing causticity (if there is such a word). Otherwise, excellent points. :)

boputnam
03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Just as a counterpoint, I reveled in its searing causticity (if there is such a word).
"Inverted Dome Metalhead"

Got it. :applaud:

boputnam
03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Alex...

I had to go through this at home, in the studio and do it proper. I also recorded the cuts so I could parse through them more deliberately. My Studio System is far superior to my Bose Noise Cancelling Headcans at work, and helped my understanding the composition.

I've modified and added to my observations. The muscians effort was worthy of a great deal more attention than I could delegate at work.

I'd go see them in a heartbeat. :thmbsup:

I'd even more love to do sound for them... :p

Son Of Alex
03-04-2005, 05:48 AM
First off, I'd like to thank everyone who's taken the time to read this thread, ho through the quite unorthodox webpage, listened to the music and given feedback.
We've been working on this record, or record-to-be rather, for about eight months. It's quite a stressful process, specially since we are neither made musicias nor audio engineers.
This is why your comments and feedback are so important for us. The threaded was started just over a week ago and I have already started applying some of the tips you've posted.
On behalf of the entire group I'd like to thank Good ol' Dad, Steve Gonzales, Earl K, Giskard, Mr. Widget, Titanium Dome, Alan Fletcher, and specially BoPutnam.
Please keep the feedback comming, don't be shy, be like Titanium Dome, we have our friends to give us thumbs up, but that's nearly useless.

Once again,
Thanks!
:applaud:

johnaec
03-04-2005, 10:12 AM
On behalf of the entire group I'd like to thank Good ol' Dad, Steve Gonzales, Earl K, Giskard, Mr. Widget, Titanium Dome, Alan Fletcher, and specially BoPutnam.Careful, or you'll have to start giving these guys "producers" credits! :p

John

boputnam
06-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Hey, Alex...

I keep checking back in, and am anxious for some new stuff!! The website is quite overhauled, but there are no mp3's anymore... :(

So, what's the lad doing? Looks like they are gigging, and maybe not in the studio.

Please let us know when they've got some more tracks to share! :yes:

Alex Lancaster
06-16-2005, 07:07 AM
:) Bo: Thanks a lot for Yr interest, IŽll check with my son today, HeŽs been real busy organizing small gigs.

Son Of Alex
08-03-2005, 07:32 AM
It's been a long time since I read anything from this forum. Mainly because of the intrinsic difficulties posed by correcting, or rather applying modifications in technical apects in recording, performing and songwriting which had to be done in order to create a higher-quality product, one that would meet the standars of both the common and trained ears.
Once again (again) I would like to thank you for your previous comments on our recordigs.
As time does, we are moving on and finally the time has come to return to the studio -a different one, of course- after 5 months. We will be recording another pair of songs. These are very distant from the first two, a bit edgier and using newer sounds and equipment.
As many of you are aware, there is an entire universe held in the theory and practice of creating new sounds for digital instruments. I realize no one cares about that, but I just felt like saying it.
---- END OF BS ------:wtf:

As soon as I get the new songs out of post production, they'll go mp3(PRO) and get posted here expecting your critiques.

:band:

Son Of Alex
08-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi!
We finally finished with the post-production of "Set Me Free" and "Wake Up in the Sunshine", the first being the single to be released in a couple of months.
This time we took quite some more time in the studio than the first songs some of you were kind enough to listen to and criticize. The studio operator was very involved in the tailoring of the songs.
To our ears it sounds quite well, but I'm guessing some of you have much more sensitive hearing than our own.

The songs are currently at www.myspace.com/arrivaljetz
Hopefully we'll have our website online soon and make the songs downloadable.

Please tell me what you think. As before, don't hold back :bomb:

Titanium Dome
08-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey, I tried to access your site and a log in screen came up. I didn't know what to put in.

Did you put a block on the site if I came back? :p

Okay, I'm kidding. I don't think you're mad, but still I couldn't get in.

Son Of Alex
08-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Dome!

Our site is down, but you can listen to the songs in www.myspace.com/arrivaljetz

And no, I'm not mad... haha

:thnkfast:

boputnam
08-10-2005, 06:29 PM
The studio operator was very involved in the tailoring of the songs.Yea, that can happen - but in the case of a "Tom Dowd" the results were far superior with his input! :yes:

Vast production improvement over the earlier stuff - CONGRATULATIONS!! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

The kit sounds really good on both tracks - although the use of the soundstage in "Wake up in the sunshine" is best. Are those acoustic or electric drums? Very tight (if gated, I'd even relax on the release time, just a bit. :p )

The "chic singer" sounds better than ever. The arrangement on WUITS is really interesting. It works for me, man.

I'm gonna listen some more - OK? - but right now I've got a few live shows to parse down track-wise.

Thanks so much for the update - and again, congrats on the success to your hard efforts.