PDA

View Full Version : L20t3 matching subwoofer

Kim L
02-26-2005, 09:43 AM
I freed a pair of L20t3's and want to match them with a "musical" subwoofer. Anyone done this? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Earl K
02-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Yes, I'd buy new parts from JBL ( Harman ) from their "Performance Series".

To start-off, I'd buy a pair of le14h-3 ( 14" ) woofers with the knowledge that I'd eventually want to go 4 way and add a 8" ( of some sort ) in between the present midbass you've got in that L20t3 . Also, I'd eventually retire the 115h-1 and get a dedicated midrange ( one or the other; 4" from the PT800 or the 6" from the PC600 ).

Here's are prices ( some current/ some last fall ) and some pictures of the stuff that I'd buy .

Pictures are courtesy of "Titanium Dome" .

:cheers:

Earl K
02-26-2005, 01:06 PM
More "Performance Series" parts - with prices .

As you can see ; I'm recommending buying the subwoofer part first .

If you find that you wish to upgrade to some of JBLs' latest components ( roughly comparable to an upgrade path from your current 115h-1 midbass driver ) then buy the 8" ( 908ti ) and the 4" ( 904ti ) to replace your current single driver in your L20t3. Keep the tweeter you have . Of course this will require a new cabinet along with a new crossover. ( The PT800 crossover parts values are available if you prefer to build your own newtworks ) .

Earl K
02-26-2005, 01:17 PM
If you want to remain 3 way forever then consider the le120h ( 12" ) woofer from the L7 and L90 ( Europeon only ) speakers .

- This is a well made driver and everyone who has it likes it. Just remember , a 12" doesn't move as much air as a 14" . Ts parameters are not available for it - but the word from Giskard is to use those from the 128h-1 / 12" . Makes sense .

Here are pictures of the le120h ( this time courtesy of "Paragon" ) along with some current prices from Harman .

At a new unit price ( with a warranty ) that is sub $ 200. - I don't know why anyone would bother with eBay ( and its' regular offering of flotsam that always need refoaming -( at the very least ) / or at worst, expensive reconing ) .

Kim L
02-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Option #2, forever 3-way, is best for me given my low skill level, space consideration, price, performance goal, etc. Thanks, this will be a good project for me. I'll try building just one first and see how successful it is. I need a small cabinet size.

I have not decided how I will power the L20t3's yet, wanted to decide on a subwoofer setup first. This system will be in a small family room, 14x18x8=2016, and would not be played very loudly. Going with the 12" subs, le120h, do you think 55w per channel would be enough power? (Otherwise, I will have to invest in amplification and the project cost over-run could trigger the mandatory F666 form with approval by She-who-must-be-obeyed.)

Oh, I noticed that the JBL site shows the L20t3 at 6 ohm, but 8 ohm is printed on the speaker. Should I pull the drivers to verify the models, or does it matter for your recommendation?

Thanks again!

Earl K
02-26-2005, 04:00 PM
14x18x8=2016, and would not be played very loudly. Going with the 12" subs, le120h, do you think 55w per channel would be enough power? (Otherwise, I will have to invest in amplification and the project cost over-run could trigger the mandatory F666 form with approval by She-who-must-be-obeyed.)

- You know Kim, I'm a long time SR ( sound reinforcement ) guy - maybe I'm just too "jaded" to honestly answer your question about power needs . My biamped system is in a like sized room and yet I use about 1300 watts all the while never listening above 95 db ("A" weighted ). I guess I do like some headroom.

- Personally, I'd triple or quadruple the watts that your power amp can supply to this setup . Bass just sucks up watts. Your best bet will likely be to purchase a separate plate amp ( for each woofer ) from "Parts Express" . These are amps that also have a builtin crossover ( which you are going to need ) .

Use the "search" engine of this site to find out more info on "plate amps" .

Use : plateamps , or ; plate-amps or plate amps ( along with PE or Parts Express ) in the "info window" of the search engine. Add "Robh3606" into the other window for authors - check-off "posts made by" as your delimiter .

Oh, I noticed that the JBL site shows the L20t3 at 6 ohm, but 8 ohm is printed on the speaker. Should I pull the drivers to verify the models, or does it matter for your recommendation?

- No at this tme it doesn't matter. Don't go pulling the L20t3 apart - it won't tell you any meaningful information.

EDIT ( sometime later ) Re; the power wattage question .

- If you purchase a pair of le120h woofs / enclose them / build passive crossovers to go between them and the L20t3 top boxes / ,,,,well, you've essentially just constructed a hybrid "2-box" version of the L100T speaker. So,,,, to answer your question about power needs - take a pair of your existing L100T speakers ( along with your 55wpc amp ) into the room where this will all be setup and determine for yourself if that specific amps wattage is enough to power the speakers in that room . It's really that simple .

( Once you've obtained these le120h speakers - ask for some crossover recommendations , as well as enclosure/tuning recommendations ) .

4313B
02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Speaking of LE120H's...

The old Citation 5.4 used the LE120H-1S as does the new Synthesis 3 sub.

Heavy Duty 12" Driver
Specially designed 12" driver is more articulate than larger sizes, yet moves more air than smaller sizes. All driver components are mounted in a cast frame basket.

High Efficiency
Higher efficiency provides better performance reproduction from any amplifier.

High Power Handling Capability
Ability to handle high power loads in combination with high efficiency enables the 5.4 to deliver superb performance without sacrificing deep bass.

THX Certified
The Citation 5.4 subwoofer meets or exceeds THX standards for sonic performance and is compatible with other THX certified components.

5.4 Specifications

General Description
Front-firing Subwoofer, THX Certified.

Frequency Response
28Hz - 100Hz ±3dB

Driver Complement
12" Woofer with Cast Frame Basket

Nominal Impedance
8 Ohms

Sensitivity
90dB SPL / 1 watt @ 1 meter

Power Handling Capability
200 watts

Dimensions (HxWxD)
19 x 22 x 17-1/2" (not including feet)

Weight
70 lbs / 31.8 kilos

Titanium Dome
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM
The LE120H is the driver used in the Fosgate Audionics CSS200 THX subwoofer system. I have two of these bad boys.

A CSS200 recently went unsold at $49 starting bid with no reserve on ebay. I should have noted it here at the time, since the sub went through two bid cycles without a single bid. I'd have bought it myself, but it was on the east coast and shipping was around $80. These mothers are really heavy.

It may come up again.

tonyharg
12-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi Earl, could you give me the harman link you quoted , as i have a pair of L90's and we dont have parts available here in New Zealand.
Thanks, Tony.

Earl K
12-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Hi Tony

Here's the link to Harman ( JBL Home ) Audio Service (http://www.jbl.com/home/product_support/default.aspx?Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA) .

- I've included a .gif that shows the Le120H isn't available right now .
- Since you are an international customer you'll need to click the button that directs you to Harmans' email contact info.
- If in your shoes, I would place an order for the woofer even if it's not in stock . Typically, they build up a certain critical mass of orders and then run off another batch ( so says the rumour mill :p ) .

regards

eyedoc
01-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi Kim.

Question for you. Are you looking to use the orriginal cabinets for your project, or building your own? if you are building your own, I would be happy to adopt your orriginal boxes. I am looking for a pair of boxes for a project of my own. Let me know either way.

Thanks in advance,
eyedoc.

duaneage
01-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Option #2, forever 3-way, is best for me given my low skill level, space consideration, price, performance goal, etc. Thanks, this will be a good project for me. I'll try building just one first and see how successful it is. I need a small cabinet size.

I have not decided how I will power the L20t3's yet, wanted to decide on a subwoofer setup first. This system will be in a small family room, 14x18x8=2016, and would not be played very loudly. Going with the 12" subs, le120h, do you think 55w per channel would be enough power? (Otherwise, I will have to invest in amplification and the project cost over-run could trigger the mandatory F666 form with approval by She-who-must-be-obeyed.)

Thanks again!

You could apply 200 uf capacitors to the L20T3 speakers to roll them off, increasing your power handling on them and reducing the amplifier requirements.

The Le120 new is a great idea unless they are not available. Post an add in the MARKETPLACE area here and see if you can get a 128H, 2214H, or something comparable. Those woofers work in 1.7 - 2.5 cu ft and are excellent performers.