PDA

View Full Version : Who's got Yuri's Amp??

Robh3606
02-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Just want to find out where it is and who want's it next.

Rob:)

4313B
02-13-2005, 12:40 PM
I have it. The next person in line no longer wants it so where do I send it now?

scott fitlin
02-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Since the PSS 1200 was " Given " to me, I donated it to Project May!

Giskard had it last I spoke with him via PM,s!

Ken Pachkowsky
02-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I wanted to give it a try.

Ken

scott fitlin
02-13-2005, 12:51 PM
PM Giskard, im sure you can get it for a spin!

Robh3606
02-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Well lets see I think Ken's been asking if there are no longer any other east of the Mississippi.

jblnut
02-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Well lets see I think Ken's been asking if there are no longer any other east of the Mississippi.

I'd like to give it a spin if it's still in the East. I'd like to compare it to my Yamaha Pro amp just to see if what I think about these ebay bargains is true.

Any chance of getting it to Boston ?

jblnut

4313B
02-14-2005, 09:50 AM
YES! PM me with your address and it's out the door to you. :)

jblnut
02-14-2005, 10:34 AM
YES! PM me with your address and it's out the door to you. :)

Can't Wait !!!

jblnut

Ken Pachkowsky
02-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Like I said, when you guys out east are done, please forward it out west.

Ken

louped garouv
02-14-2005, 11:36 AM
I would like to be on the list as well......

4313B
02-14-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm not in charge of any list.

Right now it is headed to jblnut.

John
02-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Is that amp on a USA only tour or can us guys in the "Great White North" get a listen??? Also what are the specs on that BAD BOY???

Mr. Widget
02-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately with no set "Tour Schedule" there has been quite a bit of confusion. Apparently Giskard has shipped the amp to JBLNut. After he has had his fill it seems that Ken Pach-alphabet is quite eager to give it a whirl. This is turning into a bit of a messy zig-zag across a very large country.

I would suggest that all interested in auditioning the amp put their names on a list and include their geographical location. Once a list is made up perhaps a logical tour can be made up.

As far as heading above the border... it will ultimately reside with Don as part of Project May. I would suggest it do a north of the border tour then as crossing the border still has duty issues.

Widget

John
02-14-2005, 01:17 PM
That sounds good to me. I will give Don a call and figure something out at this end. When the last person in the USA is done if they can let me know and I could bring it in to the country,sample it and deliver to Don.http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

4313B
02-14-2005, 01:20 PM
I found it - here was the last attempt to start a list.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4413&highlight=amp

jblnut
02-25-2005, 06:39 PM
I have the amp now...and was unhappy to find only XLR and speakon I/O on the back. This is bad news for those on the list who might have wanted to audition it in a home setting.
I'm on the PE website now ordering some XLR adaptors but I'm new to speakon and am not sure exactly what to order.
I just want something I can connect regular speaker wire to, but there appear to be several kinds of speakon connectors.

Any input guys ?

jblnut

scott fitlin
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
You gotta use speakon connectors, you get them, and set em up, they come with instructions, and then plug the speakons into the amp! Theres no other way!

scott fitlin
02-25-2005, 06:53 PM
These are the ones to get!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=092-050&DID=7

:)

jblnut
02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
You gotta use speakon connectors, you get them, and set em up, they come with instructions, and then plug the speakons into the amp! Theres no other way!

Thank you, master of the obvious :banghead: :) . Now, which ends should I buy to plug into the amp and what is the difference ? I'm guessing 2 pole but I'd like to be reassured that's the way to go.

2 pole:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=092-058

4 pole:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=092-190

8 pole:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=092-051

Thanks,

jblnut

scott fitlin
02-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Sorry i grabbed the first pics i found! The 2 poles are the ones!

Robh3606
02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
You have a music store close by?? Any of then will cary them.

jblnut
02-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Sorry i grabbed the first pics i found! The 2 poles are the ones!

Thanks Scott - I placed the order with PE - should be be able to audition the amp for real next weekend....

jblnut

scott fitlin
02-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Let us know what you think when you hear it!

jblnut
02-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Let us know what you think when you hear it!

Absolutely !

I was all set for a testing day tomorrow - had the wife and kids all setup to be out of the house but that's blown now.
Oh well, I'll get the PX-2 setup instead so that next week I can compare vinyl and digital with the PSS.

Should be fun...

jblnut

PSS AUDIO
02-26-2005, 01:22 AM
I have the amp now...and was unhappy to find only XLR and speakon I/O on the back. This is bad news for those on the list who might have wanted to audition it in a home setting.

I just want something I can connect regular speaker wire to, but there appear to be several kinds of speakon connectors.

jblnut

Unbelievable!

You have in your hands a real professional amplifier, not something looking just nice made in China with shiny knobs and plugs!

When you are in the studio recording area, only balanced XLR plugs are used with Speakon connectors.

As we are an international company, we also do have a web site where you will find all what you need, English written:

How to wire a Speakon plug: http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39

How to wire an XLR plug: http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38

Where can I get technical information: http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40

What about contacting the creator of the amp?

Just unbelievable…

Nota Bene: Please use high quality cords, not a junky adaptor converting an RCA jack to an unbalanced XLR as you will loose almost all the information carried in the input wires.

PSS plays music, not making noise as almost power amps down here.

One of the latest review of a star:

2004, MUSIC MART
Review of a PSS 2400 (9D) amplifier
http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/MUSICMART_2400_2004.zip
Size (zip): 510 Ko

mikebake
02-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Unbelievable!What about contacting the creator of the amp? Just unbelievable….
Earth to Yuri, come in Yuri; come down off the mountain and believe it.:hyp:

jblnut
02-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey..umm...you could maybe wait until *after* I review the amp to tell me what you really think ? I don't believe I criticized the amp at any given point, and if I have already some how offended you I hope that you will be able to forgive me. Let me start over...

I am hoping to test this amp in a home environment, not a studio. It is of course my fault for not asking about connectivity before I signed up to test. But, things being what they are now I would still like to at least hear it before I have to pay to ship it to someone else.

On the issue of cables, I would put the burden of proper connectivity on the amp's creator and owner. If you're saying (and you may be, I'm not clear on that) that you would prefer the amp not to be used in a home/RCA environment because you feel too much info will be somehow "lost" in the connection from XLR/RCA, then I'll respect your wishes and keep my opinions to myself.

I am, however going to wait for my $5 PE connectors and hook your amp up and at least hear it before it leaves.

And by the way smart ass - when I post a picture of this delicate (and shiny) little piece on top of the Yamaha you can tell me which one looks "something looking just nice made in China with shiny knobs and plugs!".

Let's play nice please until I've at least had a chance to audition the amp, ok ?

jblnut

Unbelievable!

You have in your hands a real professional amplifier, not something looking just nice made in China with shiny knobs and plugs!

When you are in the studio recording area, only balanced XLR plugs are used with Speakon connectors.

As we are an international company, we also do have a web site where you will find all what you need, English written:

How to wire a Speakon plug: http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39

How to wire an XLR plug: http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38

Where can I get technical information: http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40

What about contacting the creator of the amp?

Just unbelievable…

Nota Bene: Please use high quality cords, not a junky adaptor converting an RCA jack to an unbalanced XLR as you will loose almost all the information carried in the input wires.

PSS plays music, not making noise as almost power amps down here.

One of the latest review of a star:

2004, MUSIC MART
Review of a PSS 2400 (9D) amplifier
http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/MUSICMART_2400_2004.zip
Size (zip): 510 Ko

4313B
02-26-2005, 12:11 PM
I have the amp now...and was unhappy to find only XLR and speakon I/O on the back. This is bad news for those on the list who might have wanted to audition it in a home setting.I didn't bother to hunt down all the adapters I would have needed to give the amp a try. You get an A in my book for bothering. :thmbsup:

PSS AUDIO
02-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey..umm...you could maybe wait until *after* I review the amp to tell me what you really think ? ...
I am hoping to test this amp in a home environment, not a studio. ...

If you're saying (and you may be, I'm not clear on that) that you would prefer the amp not to be used in a home/RCA environment because you feel too much info will be somehow "lost" in the connection from XLR/RCA, then I'll respect your wishes and keep my opinions to myself.

jblnut

You are totally and completely misunderstood!

Last July, when I sent the amp to the states, I opened a thread and posted everything about the amplifier and pictures of it.

One can see that there are neither binding posts nor RCA plugs!

That is why I do not understand your surprise discovering how the amplifier looks like! There is a fan on this amp and it may hurt you for a home use too …

That is why I wrote unbelievable!

I know that you are in a home configuration and you only have bananas and RCA jacks.

Instead asking, either the creator (my self) or browsing our web site how the amp must be connected, you just ask here about it while nobody knows unless the two who tried out the amp!

This is also quite unbelievable for me. Why asking the saints when god can answer you?

Please do not use any adaptor, as the result will be dramatically bad. Use a ready made cable, at one end an RCA jack and at the other end an XLR plug!

This is just an advice.

About Yamaha, as all Far East amplifier makers, they cannot understand, as they have not the same culture as ours (as we cannot understand their standards), what kind of sound we are looking for. That is why all those amplifiers sound very clinical, with no soul.

Those are just shiny (China) amps with nice looking knobs and sockets!

PSS AUDIO
02-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I didn't bother to hunt down all the adapters I would have needed to give the amp a try.

By the way, have you tried the amp?

Ian Mackenzie
02-26-2005, 01:48 PM
By the way, have you tried the amp?

Yuri,

I sympathise with your remarks, unbelievable.

Who ever invented "Blinkers" made a fortune.

A search in these forums (and indeed the www) shows a number of well documented threads on connections (Speakon-which are now a CE standard) and balanced connectivity. That's one of the reasons why we save this information so everyone has access to useful information....mind you most are experts at refoaming a 2235 woofer....

Ian:deal:

4313B
02-26-2005, 02:33 PM
No, I didn't try the amp Yuri.

Something tells me Ian that if I felt like looking anything up or obtaining the proper adapters I would have. I obviously wasn't inclined to do so. It's a real non-issue for me.

PSS AUDIO
02-26-2005, 03:26 PM

Something tells me Ian that if I felt like looking anything up or obtaining the proper adapters I would have. I obviously wasn't inclined to do so. It's a real non-issue for me.

Great! Fantastic! Gorgeous!

I have no words...

Do not change your habits, you may get lost!

If it does not meet your standards, you just push it away, as a waste of time…

I think I will soon do the same, just pushing you away...

If you do not go to the mountain, the mountain will never come to you!

Ian Mackenzie
02-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Wondeful:applaud: .

Almost by convention all Pro amp manufacturers use Speakon connectors and XL balanced input. They would'nt be able to export otherwise. (basically to stop ignorant people potentially getting killed)

By way of explanation perhaps most or some forumites here use domestic hifi or own vintage pro audio equipment.

It only takes a few bucks in parts and about 20 minutes to wire up connectors so anyone can use them. I am surprise that was not resolved earlier and a connector kit shipped around with the amp. (I have such a kit so I can mix my pro aidio and domestic quickly and without fuss) .

No doubt this suggestion would assist other serious contenders of the PSS1200 amp.

Ian

Robh3606
02-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Took me a 5 minute trip to my local music store. I already had the balanced cables for my M552/M553's. Those speakons are great!!!! Wish they came on consumer gear. What a nice no fuss no muss way to connect up to an amp. I can see why they are the standard on PRO gear. Leaps and bounds better than the 5 ways on my old Crowns.

4313B
02-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Great! Fantastic! Gorgeous!

I have no words...

Do not change your habits, you may get lost!

If it does not meet your standards, you just push it away, as a waste of time…

I think I will soon do the same, just pushing you away...

If you do not go to the mountain, the mountain will never come to you!I'm perplexed as to why there is more text after the "I have no words..." statement. You've gone on to dramatize the simple fact that -
1. I received an amp.
2. The amp did not integrate into my current environment.
3. I decided to send the amp on to the next person after who that next person was had been established.

mikebake
02-26-2005, 06:06 PM
About Yamaha, as all Far East amplifier makers, they cannot understand, as they have not the same culture as ours (as we cannot understand their standards), what kind of sound we are looking for. That is why all those amplifiers sound very clinical, with no soul.
Amazing what comes out of your mouth here. You other guys gonna give this a pass?
Yes, certainly, those Far Easterners cannot "understand", and thus they design things with no musical soul. That is probably why they are such rabid JBL fans in Japan; because they like music reproduction without soul. Such tripe, Yuri. Some difference in certain preferences musically, perhaps. No soul? Bullshit. (see the little guy with the flag?):bs:

As for asking God the creator and not the saints, saints are apparently intercessory, so we lay people may not have to witness the power and glory ourselves. Nowadays, however, we are allowed to have a direct relationship with God, which leads me to believe that if He actually designed an amp, it would have both balanced Speakon and unbalanced RCA inputs, as God loves both the pro audio world and the unwashed Bose lovers.
And I have to think that the signal pathways in Gods own amp would, of course, be paved with real gold and He would not tolerate discount Circuit City pricing.
(Hmmm, what WOULD God's own speaker system be? Certainly not a Hartsfield replica with TAD components! Blasphemous! I'll bet His system has some totally kick-ass bass performance, no doubt. Hmmm....oh well, that needs to be in its own thread)
Speaking of going to the mountain, the mountain called humility is not coming to you, Yuri, you need to go visit it yourself.
I still can't get over that Far East thingie..........whew. Amazing. Imagine if someone had said such a thing about those enviable Europeans.:hmm:

Zilch
02-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Why asking the saints when god can answer you?
[I think I'm gettin' this now....] :yes:

mikebake
02-26-2005, 06:12 PM
[I think I'm gettin' this now....] :yes:
You most assuredly are.

(Cool, now I can PM God and ask him why all the hot chicks in high school go out with the jocks..........always wondered about that one)

PSS AUDIO
02-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Amazing what comes out of your mouth here. You other guys gonna give this a pass?

Yes, certainly, those Far Easterners cannot "understand", and thus they design things with no musical soul. That is probably why they are such rabid JBL fans in Japan;

As for asking God the creator and not the saints

Speaking of going to the mountain, the mountain called humility is not coming to you, Yuri, you need to go visit it yourself. ...

Please read first before answering and writing nonsense’s!

I spoke about Amp manufacturers, not about some great and enthusiast Japanese audiophiles!

I will be very honest and I will hurt you, as you deserve it:

JBL speakers sounds very bad with today’s amplifiers, no bass, no low mids, just mids and shiny high (just what Asiatic music sounds like; that is why Asian are found of such speakers). Have you ever wondered why TAD (Pionner) sounds so bad (no bass and no low mids)?

All “big” US amplifier makers, Crown the very first just manufacture garbage.

The only amp they designed and that worked very well was the DC300. Since that they never built any other sounding amp, and since they are under the Harman banner it is worst!

Same for Crest, Carver, BGW, QSC and others: they just make noise, they do not play music. When they demo their “amps” why do they play so loud? Just to impress you like the dog next-door shouting after you!

Because they are scared! Scared of the lack of quality, so they yell and the one who yells louder is the best … noisemaker!

To play good and powerful music you do not need thousand of watts! 10 Watts are enough to give you the kick all of you are looking for and never had!

More than several, down here, do not understand why JBL do not manufacture studio speakers as they did in the 70’?

Why? Just because the market is dead and no one wills to pay for it, you the very first.

Same for amps, the only thing you are looking for are second hand amps sold in Ebay for a bunch of coins! Who bought in the past 5 years a new amp and spend some money, real money (about 2 000$)?

Not much as reading your posts spending 500$ is too expensive!

About God (me) you are completely misunderstood!

How many amp manufacturers have you spoken with? If one needs an advice or any help out of what he (god) is manufacturing, juts ask him (god) and not the saints (ignorant of such a specific gear)!

About the mountain, once again you did not get the clue: if the gear you asked for does not match your wishes, you could move your ass just to try it and not keep it by your door!

If you were not asked to send it to some one else, the amp would still lay somewhere in your place!

That is why, if you are not happy, stay where you are and do not ask for something you do not understand.

If you were really involved and interested, you should know how the amp is made and what are his characteristics as it was posted months ago.

That is why, stay as a rock (mountain) and do not change your habits! No one will go to you (the mountain)…

Rock .. Mountain, you got it now?

Shiny … china, you got it too?

mikebake
02-26-2005, 07:05 PM
:screwy: "I spoke about Amp manufacturers, not about some great and enthusiast Japanese audiophiles!"

I stand by my assertion; they understand soul.

"I will be very honest and I will hurt you, as you deserve it:"

I like pain as much as the next guy, but I'm not hurt. Really. I'm not.

"JBL speakers sounds very bad with today’s amplifiers, no bass, no low mids, just mids and shiny high (just what Asiatic music sounds like; that is why Asian are found of such speakers)."

Merely an opinion, and not a good one in my book, Yuri. I have heard them sound absolutely great with todays amplifiers, and I am just as qualified to make that judgment as you are.
"Who's got Yuri's amp?" The thread that lived in infamy. It would be a good title for a play, like "Waiting for Godot".

" Have you ever wondered why TAD (Pionner) sounds so bad (no bass and no low mids)?"

No. Honest to God (not you, Yuri), I never heard TAD but once, and it was okay.

"All “big” US amplifier makers, Crown the very first just manufacture garbage."
:blah:

More opinion, but hey, okay.

"Same for Crest, Carver, BGW, QSC and others: they just make noise, they do not play music."

I suppose only yours "makes music": more tripe, Yuri.
It comes down to this, I know WTF I hear. I've heard amps that woulda/coulda/shoulda put yours to shame. You know what? They are no big deal either. Nice, yes.

"Because they are scared! Scared of the lack of quality, so they yell and the one who yells louder is the best … noisemaker!"

You are lowering yourself here, Yuri.
Yes, yes, I am sure that is it, they are scared as hell. I see them now, the trembling, scared amp designers. And you are sounding more delusional as the day goes on.

"To play good and powerful music you do not need thousand of watts! 10 Watts are enough to give you the kick all of you are looking for and never had!"

Oh, dang it, another cherised maxim shot to hell.

"More than several, down here, do not understand why JBL do not manufacture studio speakers as they did in the 70’?"

We've been through this, use the search button.

"Why? Just because the market is dead and no one wills to pay for it, you the very first."

Yes, me the very first, and the dead market.

"Same for amps, the only thing you are looking for are second hand amps sold in Ebay for a bunch of coins!"
My kingdom for a cheap, ebay amp!

" Who bought in the past 5 years a new amp and spend some money, real money (about 2 000$)?"

Lots of people, apparently.

"Not much as reading your posts spending 500$ is too expensive!"

I somehow missed that one. Huh?

"About God (me) you are completely misunderstood!"

Correct! I am God, not you. See new avatar.

"How many amp manufacturers have you spoken with?"

The whole company, or just the sales rep? Mmmm, maybe 10-15.

" If one needs an advice or any help out of what he (god) is manufacturing, juts ask him (god) and not the saints (ignorant of such a specific gear)!"

Yeah, yeah, I got that part.

"About the mountain, once again you did not get the clue: if the gear you asked for does not match your wishes, you could move your ass just to try it and not keep it by your door!"

Hmmm, I think you've got the wrong guy here. But that's okay, as I know you are a stickler for detail.

"If you were not asked to send it to some one else, the amp would still lay somewhere in your place!"

See above.

"That is why, if you are not happy, stay where you are and do not ask for something you do not understand."

Sounds like my wife!!!!!

"If you were really involved and interested, you should know how the amp is made and what are his characteristics as it was posted months ago."

The amp is a male!!!!!! Yikes! I don't verk wit da males well!!!

"That is why, stay as a rock (mountain) and do not change your habits! No one will go to you (the mountain)…

Rock .. Mountain, you got it now?"

Viagra??

"Shiny … china, you got it too?"

Clean plate??
I think I got it now. BTW, did you ever see the movie "Being There"? Loved that one. Thanks Yuri, been fun. Thread over. BZZZZZZZTT

Alex Lancaster
02-26-2005, 07:51 PM
:) Yuri: I am not a native English speaker (or writer), but Yours is worse than mine, IMO pls do not be so didactive, there are others on this forums that really know.

I Specially have a problem with "Creator", and the rest of the:bs: , pls try to be understanding and polite.

4313B
02-26-2005, 08:11 PM
If you were not asked to send it to some one else, the amp would still lay somewhere in your place!That is SO not true! :p
I was going to eBay it but Scott informed me that he had donated it to Don for his Project May thingie! :banghead:

mikebake
02-26-2005, 09:38 PM
:) Yuri: I am not a native English speaker (or writer), but Yours is worse than mine, IMO pls do not be so didactive, there are others on this forums that really know.

I Specially have a problem with "Creator", and the rest of the:bs: , pls try to be understanding and polite.

Alex, you are a true gent, but it is not his English that needs work, it is his sensibilities.

boputnam
02-27-2005, 02:47 AM
I will be very honest and I will hurt you, as you deserve it: Dood, you are way outa line. Knock it off.

You have come back here with an ugly attitude, and your attempt at vengence will only do bad in attempting to promote your amp technology.

Get some respect into your posts. Or simply shut up. Period. :biting:

Ian Mackenzie
02-27-2005, 06:19 AM

I'm perplexed as to why there is more text after the "I have no words..." statement. You've gone on to dramatize the simple fact that -
1. I received an amp.
2. The amp did not integrate into my current environment.
3. I decided to send the amp on to the next person after who that next person was had been established.

I have no idea why you feel so guilty.

But to make you feel better I'm going to do exactly what you did when the P1200 arrived.

First I'll pick up the box and give it a shake to see if it rattles..apparently it rattled or did it? Then I'll have a quick peak inside to see what's in there and close the lid.

Of course I have every intention of connecting up the amp and plugging it into my JBL's to play music.

Ian :uhmmmm:

4313B
02-27-2005, 06:33 AM
I have no idea why you feel so guilty.That's because you have no idea. Who said I felt guilty? Why would I?
First I'll pick up the box and give it a shake to see if it rattles..apparently it rattled or did it?Did Rob tell you that? Yeah, it appears he changed out some parts. It was probably solder rattling around.

Feel free to continue harassing me Ian... http://www.austinserver.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/sml_akimbo.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:emoticon(':akimbo:'))

Ian Mackenzie
02-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Dood, you are way outa line. Knock it off.

You have come back here with an ugly attitude, and your attempt at vengence will only do bad in attempting to promote your amp technology.

Get some respect into your posts. Or simply shut up. Period. :biting:

The delivery may not appease but the intent is there.

I think Yuri's frustrated with his expectations of you guys.

He's a specialist and is used to dealing with technical people in specific markets where his product is well understood, not mass market consumers.

Perhaps a but more empathy and a bit less apathy would help both causes.

As a rule pro touring amps are not as musical as studio amps according at least to my auditioning at Manny's Pro Audio last week. Yuri's amps are studio amps and the better end of that crop according to my sources. The

Asian hifi stuff is totally different and they all have a very distinctive house sound.

jblnut
02-27-2005, 09:08 AM
T

As a rule pro touring amps are not as musical as studio amps according at least to my auditioning at Manny's Pro Audio last week. Yuri's amps are studio amps and the better end of that crop according to my sources. The

Asian hifi stuff is totally different and they all have a very distinctive house sound.

With that in mind, what I will be comparing next week will be
a Yamaha Pro amp (which I purchased from a studio in Detroit) and Yuri's amp. I would think this to be a fair comparison, the connectivity issue notwithstanding. All I really want to know is, am I fooling myself thinking I got a really killer amp on ebay for $200 ? If Yuri's amp is "all that", then the differernce should be immediately obvious and I will be sure to give gredit where it is due.

So, to round one then - a quick comparison of looks, size and switchgear. I will say up front that I am a little underwhelmed with the action of the switchgear on the PSS amp. The pots are extremely light in their action and - to be honesy - feel a bit fragile. Granted this likely has zero effect on the sound quality but I felt it was worth mentioning given this amp's professional intentions.

A quick picture then of the PSS and my...how was it phrased... " something looking just nice made in China with shiny knobs and plugs!"

In the interest of international peace I will stop there and not directly address some of the more insulting parts of Yuri's diatribe against JBL, asians and who knows what else. God only knows what I did to set this off but I'll keep to the facts from here on out.

All listening test comparisons will be directed to the other thread we have going about the sound of the amp, not it's location.

jblnut

4313B
02-27-2005, 09:27 AM
I think Yuri's frustrated with his expectations of you guys.

He's a specialist and is used to dealing with technical people in specific markets where his product is well understood, not mass market consumers.:rolleyes: Whatever...

If this was that important he would have taken care of the whole process from start to finish. I don't think it was Scott's responsibility to create a list and ramrod the endeavor. Here's an example of a list:

scott fitlin - NY
Robh3606 - NY
Giskard - OH
mikebake - OH
jblnut - NY
louped garouv - CO
Ken Pachowsky - CA
Mr. Widget - CA
boputnam - CA
John - Manitoba
I know ordered lists are real tough for technical people in specific markets to handle but maybe this example will help. Several people right from the get-go asked to be put on a list. The fact that he isn't used to dealing with mass market consumers is his http://www.austinserver.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_censored.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:emoticon(':censored:')) problem.

4313B
02-27-2005, 09:45 AM
With that in mind, what I will be comparing next week will be
a Yamaha Pro amp (which I purchased from a studio in Detroit) and Yuri's amp. I would think this to be a fair comparison, the connectivity issue notwithstanding. All I really want to know is, am I fooling myself thinking I got a really killer amp on ebay for $200 ?What hook ups does the Yamaha Pro amp allow for?
My Citation 22's were originally set up for bare wire only so I converted them to the same binding posts as found on the 250Ti's.

jblnut
02-27-2005, 10:11 AM
What hook ups does the Yamaha Pro amp allow for?
My Citation 22's were originally set up for bare wire only so I converted them to the same binding posts as found on the 250Ti's.

It has 2 1/4" ins per channel as well as both male and female XLR. The speaker outs are binding posts. I'll send some pics if I can get a decent shot of the back...

jblnut

Robh3606
02-27-2005, 10:21 AM
That's one nice looking Yamaha amp. Always liked that big black industrial no nonsense look. What's that weigh in at??? Those were the days no fans reminds me of my old Dynaco ST-400. Lots of heat sink.

boputnam
02-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Here's an example of a list:

scott fitlin - NY
Robh3606 - NY
Giskard - OH
mikebake - OH
jblnut - NY
louped garouv - CO
Ken Pachowsky - CA
Mr. Widget - CA
boputnam - CA
John - Manitoba
Thanks, Giskard. Fits my memory, too.

However, after the recent unending spate of hateful diatribe from Yuri, I will not be trialing the amp. Please remove me from the list.

I cannot imagine such behavior over the simple unwillingness of people to modify their setups. IMO, much of that unwillingness stems from - and continues to grow out of - this recurring behavior from Yuri. His frustration is NOT warranted, Ian, nor is his reponse. He bears responsibility for the reactions he is engendering.

Me? I'm going back to my (apparently) non-musical, very pricy pro amps with all sorta builtin wizbang connectivity, and not look back. I'm dancing... :dancin:

Mr. Widget
02-27-2005, 12:36 PM
I will take this dance with Bo. Please delete Mr. Widget too.

Ian Mackenzie
02-27-2005, 02:42 PM
I just got an email confirming Yuri's permanent departure so this that's the end of that. Now where are my Speakon connectors.......!

Ian

Alex Lancaster
02-27-2005, 02:57 PM
:applaud: Some weeks ago Yuri demanded to "cancel His account"; He never had credit or credibility anyway, but who knows, He might be back like Jack Nicholson (REDRUM).

jblnut
02-27-2005, 03:32 PM
That's one nice looking Yamaha amp. Always liked that big black industrial no nonsense look. What's that weigh in at??? Those were the days no fans reminds me of my old Dynaco ST-400. Lots of heat sink.

Yeah, it's a beast :) . It's just shy of 60 lbs and it's one of the smaller members of the PC family. The 5002 is about 120 lbs. Nothing fancy - just an enormous transformer, two huge main output caps and about 40lbs of cast aluminum heat sinks. For such a rugged industrial-looking amp, the sonics are staggering. I imagine it's similar to the older Dynacos, Crowns or HK Citations in that regard. Built to last....

Not unlike the Yamaha PX-2 turntable I just got back from the shop yesterday. Another 40lb hunk of aluminum that looks like it should have DeWalt written on it, not Yamaha.
I'll post some pics soon, but I'm having too much fun rediscovering my record collection right now;) .

jblnut

boputnam
02-27-2005, 03:48 PM
I just got an email confirming Yuri's permanent departure so this that's the end of that. Adios. A difficult business model to say the least.:dont-know

Now where are my Speakon connectors.......!Ian, I've got all sorta adapters from everything to everything. Being a quasi- roaddog (a fledgling Oldmics), I have to be ready for whatever presents itself at the show - no hiccups allowed If you really are in-need, lemme know if I can help.

Ian Mackenzie
02-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Bo Thanks for the kind offer but they are probably buried under a dozen uncompleted projects

Speaking of Gigs at the moment I amtending to sunburn after 10 hours of Rock and Roll at our Tsunami Benefit Concert yesterday. I am sure there were plenty of Speakon connectors on hand here at the Bowl, the crowd about 60,000 at dusk.

Featured were, Daddy Cool (remember Eagle Rock) Billy Thorpe (who resided in the USA for 25 years) and the Sunbury Aztecs, Richard Clapton and Jimmy Barnes (Cold Chisel) and many others.

Not a bad line up for a 35 year re union. There might be DVD produced, I will keep a look out for that.

On a brighter note here are some images, maybe someone can pick the array? I could not get close enough to see what it was, but it sounded stunning.

Perhaps this is a fitting tribute to Yuri, touring sound approaches Hi Fidelity.

If your gunna go, you may as well go out with a Bang!

From top to bottom Diesel, Ross Wilson (Daddy Cool), and Billy Thorpe.

Ian

boputnam
02-27-2005, 04:36 PM
...maybe someone can pick the array? It's not VerTec. I've seen that in one of my recent trade rags. Fairly new (or at least still getting noticed). Lemme go digging...

Earl K
02-27-2005, 04:56 PM
My Guess ;

NEXO ( Alpha maybe ? ) - need binocs

Oh, the irony :D

Mr. Widget
02-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Ian,

Where are you? I was looking for a shot of our favorite shirt. :applaud:

Widget

jblnut
02-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Featured were, Daddy Cool (remember Eagle Rock) Billy Thorpe (who resided in the USA for 25 years) and the Sunbury Aztecs, Richard Clapton and Jimmy Barnes (Cold Chisel) and many others.

Ian

Billy Thorpe - as in "Children of the Sun" Billy Thorpe ? Cool ! How does he sound after all these years ?

jblnut

boputnam
02-27-2005, 06:19 PM
NEXO ( Alpha maybe ? ) Oh, the irony :D :rotfl: That's for sure...

Don't think it's NEXO, but good guess. Those open-faced 10's (?) are diagnostic. I think I already trashed the trade rag I'm searching for... :(

Ian Mackenzie
02-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Billy Thorpe - as in "Children of the Sun" Billy Thorpe ? Cool ! How does he sound after all these years ?

jblnut

Billy is as good as ever, Sunbury was a bit before my time (like Woodstock) but I still play More Arse than Class album he sound tops, not past it by any means.

Billy is planning a follow up gig end March with Ross Wilson.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
02-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Ian,

Where are you? I was looking for a shot of our favorite shirt. :applaud:

Widget

Nar, I had my Passlabs T shirt on yesterday, the rear states parental guidance recommended. But that was not required...I felt more Iike dad amongst the younger siblings roaming scant on the lawn.

It was a great Day Out and for a great cause.:applaud:

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
02-27-2005, 07:52 PM
My Guess ;

NEXO ( Alpha maybe ? ) - need binocs

Oh, the irony :D

Yeah,

An odd looking bit of gear but very transparent. And those bass bins ready go.

The whole lawn area just shook at times but it was never that loud that my ears compressed.Nice.:)

Ian

PSS AUDIO
04-01-2005, 03:47 PM
:rolleyes: Whatever...

If this was that important he would have taken care of the whole process from start to finish. I don't think it was Scott's responsibility to create a list and ramrod the endeavor. Here's an example of a list:

scott fitlin - NY
Robh3606 - NY
Giskard - OH
mikebake - OH
jblnut - NY
louped garouv - CO
Ken Pachowsky - CA
Mr. Widget - CA
boputnam - CA
John - Manitoba
I know ordered lists are real tough for technical people in specific markets to handle but maybe this example will help. Several people right from the get-go asked to be put on a list. The fact that he isn't used to dealing with mass market consumers is his http://www.austinserver.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_censored.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:emoticon(':censored:')) problem.

Hi Yuri,

I am done with your amp. Who/where would you like it to go from here? I am near Boston so I'd like to ship it to someone as near me as possible (it is heavy as you know).

Thanks,

Craig

Craig,

Why not on Ebay as several intended to ...

mikebake
04-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Craig,

Is this like the third time you are back after saying you were gone?

louped garouv
04-01-2005, 05:25 PM
he sure don't come across as the best PR person!

Alex Lancaster
04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
:bs: :bs: :bs:

PSS AUDIO
04-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi Yuri,

I don't understand - are you asking me to sell it on ebay for you ?

Please clarify...

Craig

Hi Yuri,

I am done with your amp. Who/where would you like it to go from here? I am near Boston so I'd like to ship it to someone as near me as possible (it is heavy as you know).

Thanks,

Craig

Craig,

As no one is interested testing anymore the amp, do whatever you want with it!

Keep it, throw it away, make Bush a present, send it back to Scott (he may then pay me the money he owes me since months) ...

Ship it to Lancaster he is so jealous not being on the list reviewing the amp, he may then keep quiet.

In 2 words: F... O..!

4313B
04-02-2005, 02:56 PM
I believe the amp is eventually supposed to go to Don McRitchie but I could be wrong.

jblnut
04-02-2005, 03:42 PM
You sir, are a lunatic in dire need of medication...

I ask you where the amp should go next (in a PM), you then take that PM, post it to everyone and tell me to FO ???

WTF ?????:blink: :blink:

Well folks, I'm officially done being nice to this man. I would sell the amp on ebay just to spite him, but if others here have some kind of rightful claim to this thing, speak up and be convincing. I'm less than motivated to play nice at this point...

jblnut

As no one is interested testing anymore the amp, do whatever you want with it!

Keep it, throw it away, make Bush a present, send it back to Scott (he may then pay me the money he owes me since months) ...

Ship it to Lancaster he is so jealous not being on the list reviewing the amp, he may then keep quiet.

In 2 words: F... O..!

4313B
04-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Scott? Should we eBay it and get Yuri the money he says is owed him? I'd be curious to see how much it would go for. What do you have into it?

Did you try it on your new 250Ti's jblnut?

jblnut
04-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Scott? Should we eBay it and get Yuri the money he says is owed him? I'd be curious to see how much it would go for. What do you have into it?

Did you try it on your new 250Ti's jblnut?

I have not tried it on the 250ti's since the new xovers came in. However, it spent a week at a good friend's house. His system is analog nirvana - LP12/Sumiko Blue Point Special, Conrad/Johnson tube pre, Hot-rodded Dynaco ST-70 tube amp. Speakers are Klipsch Forte's but don't hold that against him :) . He wanted to try the amp to see what big transistor power would do. In short, he liked the power but not much else. It wasn't as clear, the micro-details were lost, the imaging wasn't as good and there was surprisingly less bass. Overall he didn't hate it (his brother did tho) but didn't love it. I did some listening over there and he's right on all counts - it's no where near his Dynaco for serious listening.

I'll get off my ass and get a post together about the 250ti's soon (with pictures). My wife and I had a few hours today without kids in the house and I couldn't resist finishing the project (adding the batteries and bi-wiring with the second big Yamaha).

She was stunned and I can't get the grin off my face. I saw the clipping lights on my PC2002M (running the LE14's) for the first time *ever*. It just kept sounding better the louder it went. It never got harsh and we both wanted to keep listening....

Giskard...you rock !

jblnut

scott fitlin
04-02-2005, 04:42 PM

Did you try it on your new 250Ti's jblnut?Yuri was paid for the second amp he sent me. It went to where he said, and it got lost because he gave the wrong bank account info! I have been to my bank several times on this matter and the money HAS NOT BEEN FOUND! NOR has it been returned to me!

I am just going to send Yuri BACK the second amp, I WILL NOT pay twice, for something I DID in fact pay for in the first place!

As for the amp thats in circulation right now, IF Don decides he doesnt want it, thats fine, Ebay it and donate the funds to the forum! or better yet, send it to Yuri, maybe that will help!

Yuri talks down to everyone and anyone who doesnt agree with him, and doesnt admit his own screw ups! I am no thief, I am no cheat, but I am not paying twice for the second amplifier, PERIOD!

DO NOT SEND the PSS1200 back to me, IT WILL NEVER be in my rack for all to see, REGARDLESS of how it sounds!

Mr. Gutstatz, you shall recieve the PSS300/600 you made for me, via international shipping! I have not been refunded the original funds I wire transferred to the bank account you specified, and I have no idea where it is, who has it, or if you got it and dont know that either! However, I dont want you to feel screwed either!

I can say for sure, I am EXTREMELY glad I did NOT get into the venture you had proposed to me, to import, distribute, and sell, and represent PSS Audio here in the U.S.!

Yuri, you make a decent sounding amp, but your demeanor is :bs: .

Any other questions, my dear forumites?

boputnam
04-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Yuri talks down to everyone and anyone ... PERIOD!

Any other questions, my dear forumites? Nope. You nailed it.

jblnut - thanks for the informative descriptive post. Would LOVE to see some pics of Giskard's design / handiwork! :yes:

Ian Mackenzie
04-02-2005, 05:34 PM
JBL Nut,

I would like to ear more about the Sumiko Blue Point special, I was thinking about the Shelter 501 as a result of a great review, better than the budget 301 and im some ways better than the 901$0000.

I think vinyl is the true test on any system and your 250TI's should sound superb.

The ST 70 has been around a long time basically because its good and has a cult following. But to compare a PA SS amp with a tube hot rod would be night and day no matter what you compared against.

About the list, isn't Subwoofer near you, up near NY state..Fingerlakes?

Ian

Alex Lancaster
04-02-2005, 06:13 PM
:) And I thought We were done with the whole BS; Alas, poor Yuri.

jblnut
04-18-2005, 11:56 AM
OK Folks...

I'm done with this amp and would like to send it on its way. Please PM me if you want to audition it. I'll send it to the closest person that responds from the US (I'm near Boston). I will pay to ship it to you, you pay to send it on to the next person.

Some useful info:

1) This is a PA amp - it has a loud fan, XLR ins and Speakon outs.

2) I will include some Parts Express Speakon adapters so that you can use regular speaker wire. The XLR-1/4 adapters I'm keeping but you can order some yourself from PE.

3) The amp is heavy (40lbs or so) so you will spend at least $30 when it's your turn to ship it on...

4) Yuri may be a good amp designer but he's also unstable when the meds run out. PM him if you need help or have questions, but be prepared for anything in response....

Step right up, don't be shy....

jblnut

jblnut
04-24-2005, 06:10 PM
The amp is on the way back across the US to the Rockies. Mr Louped Garouv will be giving it the next workout. We eagerly await his analysis (and whatever Yuri has to add...).

jblnut

Mr. Widget
04-24-2005, 07:25 PM
....(and whatever Yuri has to add...).

:rotfl:

louped garouv
04-25-2005, 07:45 AM
I can't wait....

jblnut
05-09-2005, 01:33 PM
For those that are keeping track of this saga, UPS seems to have lost the amp between Boston and Denver. A claim has been opened...we'll see what happens....

I'll fess up now - I didn't purchase any extra insurance because I'm a dumb-ass :o: . I've never had UPS lose anything before....live and learn.

Hopefully they will find it...otherwise the meager funds recovered from UPS will be donated to the site. My sincerest apologies to all - especially Yuri - for this latest turn of events in this saga.

jblnut

Mr. Widget
05-09-2005, 01:35 PM
:homer: D'oh!

Widget

louped garouv
05-09-2005, 01:51 PM
and also never had any issues with UPS deliveries......

I've had all kinds of gear left on my porch with no incident over the last three years....

All I can say is that this REALLY SUCKS :banghead:; Makes me want to :barf:

I will keep an eye out at the local pawnshops, pro-audio shops, etc. to see if a PSS amp shows up; they can't be very common in Denver (or the US for that matter)...

Ken Pachkowsky
05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
You could make a movie on this friggin saga.

Unbelievable!

I doubt we will ever see another manufacturer do what Uri did as a result of this. Don’t get me wrong. The language barrier (I believe) played a major roll in the misunderstandings related to this thread but it does not change the fact that Uri did a very nice thing by making it available to test. Try calling Harman and ask them to do that.

Although misunderstood and somewhat abrasive, he should be applauded for his effort and generosity.

Ken

4313B
05-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Try calling Harman and ask them to do that.We did call them and they sent us something like $8,000 worth of drivers without batting an eye. ;)

Anyway... I know what you mean... It figures UPS would lose it...

My mistake -

2,100,000.00 JPY Japan Yen = 19,879.94 USD United States Dollars

scott fitlin
05-09-2005, 02:14 PM
You could make a movie on this friggin saga.

Unbelievable!

I doubt we will ever see another manufacturer do what Uri did as a result of this. Don’t get me wrong. The language barrier (I believe) played a major roll in the misunderstandings related to this thread but it does not change the fact that Uri did a very nice thing by making it available to test. Try calling Harman and ask them to do that.

Although misunderstood and somewhat abrasive, he should be applauded for his effort and generosity.

KenAllen and Heath, a very good manufacturer of mixers from Great Britain has sent me their top of the line V6 mixer to use, and evaluate! They sent it to me from the UK for 1 month.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-09-2005, 02:18 PM
We did call them and they sent us $8,000 worth of drivers without batting an eye.

Anyway... I know what you mean... It figures UPS would lose it...

Well, I see your point but Project May can hardly be used as an example. It's simply on a different scale. If it were not for this site and Don's efforts I doubt they would have. You know it.

Anyway, I just feel bad for the guy. I think he was seriously misunderstood. What he meant was, why go to a subordinate when the creator is at your beck and call. To imply he thought he was God is ridiculous. He should have chosen his words better but he simply does not have a good command of English.

Personally, I am ashamed of how he was treated. Also, I could have defended him earlier, but did not want to get involved with a negative scenario so I am just as guilty as anyone else. But, seeing the amp dissapear is just the final straw. Its an damned shame.

Have a great day bud.

Ken

Zilch
05-09-2005, 02:20 PM
In 25 years of routine shipping with UPS, they only lost one item.

It showed up 6 months later.

They had paid off $100 on a $1500 item.

[And didn't ask for it back... :p ]

Ken Pachkowsky
05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Allen and Heath, a very good manufacturer of mixers from Great Britain has sent me their top of the line V6 mixer to use, and evaluate! They sent it to me from the UK for 1 month.

Scott

Well, there ya go. Maybe I will start doing that. Asking manufacturers for loaner's.:bouncy:

I knew I would get blasted for this.:banghead: So be it, does not change the facts IMHO.

Nice to hear from you Scott, I read your post about trying other eq's rather than the Whites. Your hard core anolog bud and stubborn, just like me.

Ken

4313B
05-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Well, I see your point but Project May can hardly be used as an example. It's simply on a different scale. If it were not for this site and Don's efforts I doubt they would have. You know it.No, I really don't know it. I figure this site had quite alot to do with Yuri making the decision to ship an amp over here.

What was the final deal Scott? Did you pay him for that amp? Who decided it was to be donated to Project May?

scott fitlin
05-09-2005, 03:31 PM
No, I really don't know it. I figure this site had quite alot to do with Yuri making the decision to ship an amp over here.

What was the final deal Scott? Did you pay him for that amp? Who decided it was to be donated to Project May?The PSS 1200 was mine to do with as I please. It was my amp.

I have Yuris amp packed, ready to go, and I have to take it to UPS, because shipping overseas cant be done from a local pick up! Thats what UPS told me! When the A & H V6 got here, they called me, FedEx, to get my federal tax ID number! Otherwise, they couldnt deliver! I recieved a fax sheet from FedEx and it had Homeland security stamped on it! Made me feel kind of weird!

Ill get Yuris amp back to him this week. Incidentally, i had been to my bank about this about 4 weeks ago, and they still cannot find the money, and when i asked for a full refund, they say they first have to find the money, I walked out pissed off, Im just over it!

4313B
05-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the clarification. :)

Titanium Dome
05-09-2005, 04:10 PM
I have Yuris amp packed, ready to go, and I have to take it to UPS, because shipping overseas cant be done from a local pick up! Thats what UPS told me! When the A & H V6 got here, they called me, FedEx, to get my federal tax ID number! Otherwise, they couldnt deliver! I recieved a fax sheet from FedEx and it had Homeland security stamped on it! Made me feel kind of weird!

Ill get Yuris amp back to him this week. Incidentally, i had been to my bank about this about 4 weeks ago, and they still cannot find the money, and when i asked for a full refund, they say they first have to find the money, I walked out pissed off, Im just over it!

This kind of sh!t just gets weirder and weirder in this country. Important institutions (like banks) screwing up and feeling just fine about sticking it to us. Or government agencies like TSA and Homeland Security (who came up with that f***ing name, anyway, Hitler's nephew?) that do all kinds of "make work" annoying sh!t to hassle citizens so we think they must be doing something, when all they're doing is flushing our money down the toilet by overspending, spreading misinformation, exporting jobs, exporting militarism, driving up prices, and shoving it up our butts, all the while pretending to care about us while questioning our patriotism.

All that said, the package delivery service in this country works pretty well.

JBLnsince1959
05-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Where is the last place the tracking number shows?

jblnut
05-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Where is the last place the tracking number shows?

Perhaps I should have been more clear - UPS delivered it to Louped Garouv's porch, or so says their web site. It simply says "Porch" when you track it. He says it wasn't there when he got home and none of his neighbors grabbed it for him.

Here is the tracking # for all to see: 1z5ar1520300092407

jblnut

4313B
05-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Ah!

That pretty much takes care of that then.

I'd do a perimeter check and see where UPS might have hid it. They put stuff all around my house - under bushes, in the garage if it's unlocked, behind the fence, underneath 55 gal cans, yada, yada, yada. Of course May 2nd was awhile ago...

Oh, and they've also delivered stuff to old addresses. If you've moved in the last five years I'd check all your previous addresses too. No, I'm not kidding. I've found stuff at two different previous addresses, the people where kind enough to hang on to the stuff for me.

Mr. Widget
05-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Or government agencies like TSA and Homeland Security (who came up with that f***ing name, anyway, Hitler's nephew?)

No, no, no... not Hitler's nephew... Goebbels' ace student, Carl Rove.

I'd do a perimeter check and see where UPS might have hid it. They put stuff all around my house - under bushes, in the garage if it's unlocked, behind the fence, underneath 55 gal cans, yada, yada, yada. Of course May 2nd was awhile ago...

Seriously, Bo has a similar story where a mixing console was hidden in some bushes.:biting:

Widget

louped garouv
05-10-2005, 04:52 AM
but I will check my condominium front porch (about three miles away) and check with the neighbors there as well..... (hadn't thought to look at another address!)

4313B
05-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Yeah, call them and see exactly which porch it was delivered to.

4313B
05-10-2005, 07:41 AM
Homeland Security (who came up with that f***ing name, anyway, Hitler's nephew?):rotfl:

No, no, no... not Hitler's nephew... Goebbels' ace student, Carl Rove.Well, whomever... :p Notice the PC? No "Motherland" or "Fatherland", but "Homeland". Can you say gay?
I'd call it the NSA, but evidently that's just me.

questioning our patriotism.Wasn't that something? :biting: FA's...

louped garouv
05-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Ah!

That pretty much takes care of that then.

I'd do a perimeter check and see where UPS might have hid it.

Oh, and they've also delivered stuff to old addresses. If you've moved in the last five years I'd check all your previous addresses too. No, I'm not kidding. I've found stuff at two different previous addresses, the people where kind enough to hang on to the stuff for me.

They normally leave packages between my house and a medium sized juniper bush, and it wasn't there -- a few days later I did get an electronic crossover (Rane AX 30) from another delivery service.....

I just shot them (corporate UPS) an email asking to confirm the delivery address, also will swing by the condominium unit (and the apartment previous to that) to see if it may have been left on that porch or with those neighbors...

I feel so bad (mad????) about this happening...

4313B
05-10-2005, 08:04 AM
I feel so bad (mad????) about this happening...Well... the three fates are laughing I'm sure...

louped garouv
05-10-2005, 08:12 AM
Well... the three fates are laughing I'm sure...

you mean the moerae? (I had to look it up)

"Three daughters of Nyx who decided the fates of men and gods alike. Clotho spun the web of life. Lachesis measured its length, and Atropos cut it. Together, they were known as the moerae."

not only do we get to learn about audio here, we also learn about life, art, mythology.......

johnaec
05-10-2005, 09:43 AM
They normally leave packages between my house and a medium sized juniper bush, and it wasn't there...If someone found it there, I'd bet it's someone local, like the neighborhood teenagers. How visible would it have been?

John

louped garouv
05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
how big the box was/is....
And I am not sure how big it was/is....

I know that when I had a UREI 1620 delivered, the box was quite large (as it had been double boxed). the UREI is 3R high about 6"/10" deep -- Due to the double boxing it was visible from the street

and FWIW this is what I think probably happened as well....
I have already asked one of my neighbors (one of the neighborhood watchers -- AKA busybodies) about the package and have given her details of what was in the box -- I hope she can get the word out to the other gossips in the 'hood, maybe it will show up through that route.....

Wardsweb
05-10-2005, 02:39 PM
This is more of a FYI post than anything else. There are a few things you should know when shipping UPS. You can specify adult signature only and they won't leave it anywhere without someone you can track signing for it. Also, anything insured for $1000 (0.35 per $100) or more, the driver must sign for. It goes in a special section of the truck and is handled by a special team at the distrubution center. Shipping is truely a case of caveat emptor. You must know their rules and play by them. Like law, ignorance is not a defense.

I bought a set of Shanling SP-80 mono amps and UPS dropped one really hard. Each was insured for $1500. It took a couple of months to clear but they did pay for a new amp and I got to keep the old one.

louped garouv
09-22-2005, 10:43 PM
look what i found locally in a used gear shop.... I got it for just over $200 including tax...

I think it is still working very well, except that one of the blue leds isn't working.

I have been using it for about a month... will post a more in-depth review when I get some time..... (hopefully in a week or so) overall I like it alot (esp. for what I paid), very nice sounding amp... I like it better than my EV 7300a, which i consider the same type of amp... fan noise / @300W a CH/ 'pro-type' amp

in teh meantime;

I have taken in some La. refugees who decided to take the drive to denver this time....

we'll see how long the decide to stay here....

Who would like to hear it next? anyone in Denver maybe?

louped garouv
09-23-2005, 07:04 AM
more pics -- and BTW got a PM for Yuri -- he has offered to send upgrade instructions to get the unit up to latest company specs -- so I am considering the upgrade job -- anyone from Denver want to participate?

here are some inside pics...

Earl K
09-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Okay , I'm confused here ( maybe that's obvious ). :p

- Is this the same amp that went missing in transit ?

- Do the serial numbers match ?

- ( or is this the only one of these in the US ? )

- Up here ( TO ) , pawn brokers are supposed to track serial numbers as well as take ID from sellers of used goods . I once had a thief tracked down this way when I found my missing gear at a second hand store - guy was busted , probation with court-ordered restitution :blah: :blah: :blah: )

- Anyways, glad to see some resolution on this matter .

ps ; glad to see you are helping out the good folks of LA . :)

Mrs Lansing
09-23-2005, 08:11 AM
No need to be confused Earl.....everything will right itself in the flux of Time...it always does.

The event is in stasis for the moment as I understand it..but I do believe the situation needs to be equalised...eventually.

Oh Louped Garouv (cute name!) the only member "we" (that is my other 1/2 The New Doctor) might recommend in the region the site sponsor..although he is a tad upmarket.

The Doctor has asked me to mind the shop (we share the same ISP) while he vacates with Neslon building a power Jfet amp over on diyaudio.com...can't wait to see smoke from my kitchen table...naughty boy.

I suggest you to get some proper tools before attempting to update that two layer pcb...could be messy.

Back to my dishes.

Mrs Lansing

louped garouv
09-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Okay , I'm confused here ( maybe that's obvious ). :p

- Is this the same amp that went missing in transit ?

- Do the serial numbers match ?

- ( or is this the only one of these in the US ? )

- Up here ( TO ) , pawn brokers are supposed to track serial numbers as well as take ID from sellers of used goods . I once had a thief tracked down this way when I found my missing gear at a second hand store - guy was busted , probation with court-ordered restitution :blah: :blah: :blah: )

- Anyways, glad to see some resolution on this matter .

ps ; glad to see you are helping out the good folks of LA . :)

I think it is the same amp, I am assuming there are not too many of these in the US, yet alone Denver... but do not have any identifying information to substantiate it.... does anyone have that info?

The unit was purchased from an small audio repair shop on the east side of town, guy said it was an unclaimed item... I paid the $200 and left -- quickly; and happily at the time I might add too... didn't really ask too many questions... I figure this will be my good karma contribution (to continue making up for all the devious things I did as a kid) for the day/week/etc....

and Ms. Lansing:
Thanks for the words of caution -- maybe we can talk later....

John
09-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi Mrs Lansing Could you please increase the height of your avatar:bouncy:

scott fitlin
09-23-2005, 12:12 PM
After all this time, that amp finally turns up! I wonder how it wound up in the wrong hands? UPS must have dropped it in the wrong place, and the person there decided to " borrow " it for a while?

Unbelievable!

louped garouv
09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
exactly what I thought as I was browsing/digging through the shop and saw it...

glad to have it back in LH circulation though. it's really a nice amp FWIW... really heavy for its size.

Mr. Widget
09-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I would appreciate it if you could help UPS investigate this mystery. We now know where it was going and where it ended up. It should be possible to sort out the journey in between.

It seems the least we could do for PSS Audio...

Widget

John
09-23-2005, 01:38 PM
So Is that still heading for Don,s place assuming this is the same amp???:blink:

louped garouv
09-23-2005, 01:42 PM
yes... I am thinking that would be the right thing to do with it as well...

scott fitlin
09-23-2005, 01:56 PM
yes... I am thinking that would be the right thing to do with it as well...Originally that amp was given to me by Yuri, as well as it being an amp to lend out to others to demo the PSS amplifiers.

I donated it to project may after it had made its rounds through peoples systems! It got lost.

Being that you laid out $200.00 for it, I dont know what to tell you on what you should do with it, as I dont want it back, as they never found my money I sent to Yuri via bank transfer! That is till floating around Europe somewhere as we speak!

It would be nice to see that amp go where I had intended for it to be! And then again, I would like to see you reimbursed for your $200 as well!

Unless you just want to send it on to Don?

You are aware this amp has a cloud hanging over it!

John
09-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Well If that is the same amp??? Maybe but if it is did UPS pay any money out on a claim or??? I can not recall the whole story on this amp other than it never showed up at your place. This shop that sold it should have some record of where they got it from or??? What Earl said goes for most major cities in Canada what about Denver??

John
09-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Also before it went missing I told Don If someone sends it to my U.S. mailing address I will bring it into canada and take care of customs and get it to him,at least after I take a listen on some of my speakers.:bouncy:

jblnut
09-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I was the sender of that fateful journey...

UPS settled with me and I will be reimbursing Mr Groove the full cost that he paid to get the amp back on its world tour.

I'm just glad that it showed up...

jblnut

Originally that amp was given to me by Yuri, as well as it being an amp to lend out to others to demo the PSS amplifiers.

I donated it to project may after it had made its rounds through peoples systems! It got lost.

Being that you laid out $200.00 for it, I dont know what to tell you on what you should do with it, as I dont want it back, as they never found my money I sent to Yuri via bank transfer! That is till floating around Europe somewhere as we speak!

It would be nice to see that amp go where I had intended for it to be! And then again, I would like to see you reimbursed for your $200 as well!

Unless you just want to send it on to Don?

You are aware this amp has a cloud hanging over it!

John
09-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Well it sounds like every thing turned out well then. When the last person in the U.S. is ready to ship the amp up to Canada Have that person Send me a PM and I will give you my U.S. shipping address and I will bring it into the Great White North:D

louped garouv
09-23-2005, 02:31 PM
I know about the cloud --

Truthfully, I figured for $200 it would be worth having it for a month or so, before sending it on its way -- especially given the amount of help/learning that goes on around here out of the goodness of ppls hearts... god knows that reading here has saved me a fair amount of cash in getting ppls opinions, etc PRIOR to buying gear that I wouldn't like...

I also sold those L100s to a forum member and; recently sold another piece of gear on another forum...

It is a nice amp, I am glad I had a month with it, but I really don't want to keep it around forever... for me the $200 could almost be considered a 'technicians or consultants fee' for all the stupid questions I have... both now and in the future --
(it is b/c of you guys I went directly to buy the 802G Altecs instead of buying a more MI specific driver and testing them all out to see which is best for me, I have done research on various amps, etc here as well other typical gear whore research)

I also flaked out on buying the L100 raffle tickets due to another (obviously needed -- OK maybe it was an impulse buy) purchase... Chalk it up as a contribution to LHS...

I am alright for sending it on its way... to Don or whomever would like to hear the amp next.

scott fitlin
09-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Then its settled! I am glad it was found, and whoever wants to, should get to hear it, and then it can make its way to Don, where he can enjoy it!

All in all, it is a good sounding amp!