PDA

View Full Version : That's not fair!

4313B
01-26-2005, 05:26 AM
"A health company called Weyco Inc. in the US state of Michigan fired four employees who did not want to take a smoking test.

Apparently, the firm announced on January 1st that anyone who smokes, even outside of the company after work hours, will be terminated.

The founder of Weyco, Howard Weyers, said the decision was made because they didn't want to pay extra health care expenses related to smoking.

18-20 of the 200 employees at the company smoke cigarettes. 14 quit smoking following the decision and one employee quit before the new policy was implemented. Weyco says it is helping its employees who want to quit smoking."

What about all the employees that are subjected to second-hand smoke? Shouldn't they get fired too?

Robh3606
01-26-2005, 05:51 AM
:bs:I hope they take them to court. Same as a drug user with no rehab. What's next???

Better watch those donuts!!

Rob:)

4313B
01-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Oh No! Not the donuts! :banghead:

LE15-Thumper
01-26-2005, 06:41 AM
Well, you what they say about smokers : " They are a dying breed, soon to be extinct." :rolleyes: Ya, I know, nothin' worse than a reformed smoker. Clean lungs for 4 years now. No I don't drink either and I am not over weight, so don't try those on me ! And my wife loves stereo equipment. Ok, I went too far there..:slink: That policy is still :bs: . Smoker or not.

Maron Horonzakz
01-26-2005, 06:44 AM
I,de fire any body in my company who have Boze.:p

4313B
01-26-2005, 06:57 AM
That policy is still :bs: . Smoker or not.Yeah, what's next?

"they didn't want to pay extra health care expenses related to pregnancy"

I,de fire any body in my company who have Boze.:p:rotfl:

LE15-Thumper
01-26-2005, 07:07 AM
I,de fire any body in my company who have Boze.:p

Ya, I don't like Boze either. They sound terrible :blink:

Oldmics
01-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Yes gentlemen-they will take our civil liberties away.

I hear that employers are soon to require only Bose systems be listened to and if you have a JBL system TERMINATION will be immedient!!!!!!

Banks ,insurance companys and health care-All in collusion to keep the little people just that.

Yeah,I got a problem with it.

Oldmics

Maron Horonzakz
01-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Yes but look at the bright side. More jobs as the companys hire,s more tattle tale spies.

Robh3606
01-26-2005, 08:24 AM
They should have at least been given the option to pay out of pocket for the increased insurance premium. Stop or pay the difference is a lot better than See Yah! Unemployment sucks!!

Rob:)

paragon
01-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Don`t drink, don`t smoke, don`t eat (junk food), don`t ....
Yust work and die early !! That`s live !
Where is the fun ? (exept JBL)

Eckhard

porschedpm
01-26-2005, 08:55 AM
It is my understanding that West Marine, the marine supply company, also has a 24/7 no smoking policy. The difference is that they've had it since the start of the company and any applicants/new hires are told that it is a condition of employment.

You would think that the Weyco Co. would have done it's legal homework beforehand. But to implement a no smoking policy, without offering current employees a smoking cessation program, doesn't sound like it would stand up in court. And if it does stand up in court, that scares the hell out of me because as Giskard and Robb say "what's next?": Without exaggerating at all, you could see an employer saying: No overweight employees. No alchohol, even off the job. No one with high blood pressure or high cholestrol. No one who doesn't exercise.

I'm going to go excercise my civil liberties by having a cigarette, a Starbucks and a Krispy Kreme.

4313B
01-26-2005, 08:59 AM
I hear that employers are soon to require only Bose systems be listened to and if you have a JBL system TERMINATION will be immedient!!!!!!That reminds me of a place I used to work. They had real offices with real walls instead of cubicles and we could bring pretty much anything into work with us. One of my co-workers brought these in and they were allowed to stay.

4313B
01-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Without exaggerating at all, you could see an employer saying: No overweight employees. No alchohol, even off the job. No one with high blood pressure or high cholestrol. No one who doesn't exercise.Oh I don't think it's a stretch to imagine insurance companies getting to the point where they dictate pretty much every facet of life. They'll put the screws to everything.

Maron Horonzakz
01-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Yeh but the boss hooked his BOSE radio to the Klipsch Bells.:p

Alex Lancaster
01-26-2005, 09:06 AM
:) Not that I like Michael Moore, but I enjoyed having him put the screws on an Insurance Co.

johnaec
01-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Pretty soon insurance companies will only insure fully healthy customers who don't need insurance - 'think insurance rates will go down...? :dont-know

John

paragon
01-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Yes, have fun !!:applaud:

But what`s next ? Maximum power in your room at 90 db (your ears)?
TV channels res... (your eyes) ?
What did you say about your new presi...( what you talk about) ?

Eckhard

Mr. Widget
01-26-2005, 10:53 AM
There is no way that a company policy like that would hold up in court. However fighting crap like that in court is too big for the individual, I would expect the ACLU would defend the rights of the smokers.

Personally I am sooo happy that people are no longer allowed to smoke in public places here in California. When traveling outside of the state I am reminded of how it used to be. To come home from a restaurant or bar and have my clothes and hair smell like an ash tray. A very close friend is fighting for her life due to lung cancer. She never smoked a day in her life but her father did while she was growing up and while working in an office in the 80's and 90's she was again subjected to second hand smoke. She is only 42 and is very sick. That said the direction we are headed is to eventually make cigarettes illegal. That would be as stupid as prohibition or the current drug policies.

As to the idea that "smokers are dying off"... well Darwin, it takes millennia for evolutionary change.

paragon
01-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh, men, let the people do what they want. Yes, I´m smoking (and drinking beer) and most of my friends are doing and when we are together we all smoking in the JBL Room.
What`s the problem ??
And when we want to have a longer meeting in a restaurant and smoking is not allowed there whe won´t eat there.(And they don`t get money !!)
S...

Eckhard

Mr. Widget
01-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey Eckhard,

I want you to have the right to smoke. I also want you to go to a different restaurant than I do. :) So I will give the restaurant the money that you won't. :D

Widget

paragon
01-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Yes,
Widgy, i have no problem to eat in a Restaurant, where smoking is not allowed with you and some other JBL-Freaks when i`m in USA next time.:applaud:
But you are laying under the table, because...
(Don`t drink):D Haahaha !!

Eckhard

paragon
01-26-2005, 12:22 PM
My wife is non smoking. And she don`t like im smoking in living room an others.
It`s ok. I only smoke in my 4530 room.:D
And when I`m at friends home , i don`t smoke in their rooms.
Where is the problem ?

Eckhard

paragon
01-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Keine Antworten mehr ??
No answers ?
Time is running out today (for me).

Eckhard

Mr. Widget
01-26-2005, 12:36 PM
My wife is non smoking. And she don`t like im smoking in living room an others.
It`s ok. I only smoke in my 4530 room.:D
And when I`m at friends home , i don`t smoke in their rooms.
Where is the problem ?

Eckhard

No problem at all! Well... there is the issue of your own personal health, but that is your decision and it should only be made by you.

Widget

paragon
01-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Hope to see you anytime when i´m in USA at once.
With or without smoke :D !

Eckhard (think i`m not alone in USA) with or without smoke !

DavidF
01-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Don’t know all the facts or if the facts are all known, but I’m not so sure there is not a case to be made by this company above. I am bias against smoking but would have to think twice about such an "intrusive" policy in any workplace in which I participate. This type of intrusion is what rankles many when you first hear about it. But I face behavioral restrictions all the time (citing relevance: I have a common wall with my neighbors in my abode in which I regularly listen to JBL speaker products)

A smoking ban on employees is a behavioral restriction, not a suspension of any right. One has the right to do anything they want...not. If the employer can convince the court that the ban effecting the few is for the benefit of the group, there may be a case there. Many municipalities have restrictions on public-place smoking and here in California many cities continue to ratchet-up those restrictions. So is this company on the same path with public institutions around the country motivated by the public good, just ahead of the curve?

Well, you what they say about smokers : " They are a dying breed, soon to be extinct."

I think this includes Johnny Carson.

DavidF

scott fitlin
01-26-2005, 03:46 PM
NO SMOKING in the workplace is one thing, but an employee of a company should not have to lose their job because they smoke at home, on their own time!

:banghead:

Audiobeer
01-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Oh I don't think it's a stretch to imagine insurance companies getting to the point where they dictate pretty much every facet of life. They'll put the screws to everything.

I work for an Insurance company Giskard. All I got to say you are exactly right! These guys get away with murder and I see it everyday. They screw the customers as well as the employees. I ranted and raved on another topic how I thought corporate America ran this country and a lot of folks said bull. Every month I get a letter from my company wanting to know who I know in politics so as to help influence good relations. Suck my Tweeter. I want my Van down by the river now!

Alex Lancaster
01-26-2005, 04:51 PM
:) And then, the big shots smoke illegal Cohiba's, etc.

jandregg
01-27-2005, 06:33 AM
And now San Francisco has banned outdoor smoking. Pretty soon there will be a tax on breathing.

John

Mr. Widget
01-27-2005, 10:57 AM
And now San Francisco has banned outdoor smoking.

No it hasn't!

They have proposed that smoking not be permitted in a few specified public outdoor places. I doubt it will go through, but even if it does there will still be great numbers of people smoking in the doorways to their offices on sidewalks all over town.

Zilch
01-27-2005, 01:03 PM
And we're also considering charging 17¢ each (paper OR plastic) for grocery bags.

Reviling this as a "regressive" tax proposal, dog owners are irate. :mad:

Here in the East Bay, we are hoarding them for resale later at 10¢ apiece in the Safeway parking lot and public parks.

"Ken I bum a baggie?"

All for a worthy cause, of course.... :D

scott fitlin
01-27-2005, 01:55 PM
There is no way that a company policy like that would hold up in court. However fighting crap like that in court is too big for the individual, I would expect the ACLU would defend the rights of the smokers.

Personally I am sooo happy that people are no longer allowed to smoke in public places here in California. When traveling outside of the state I am reminded of how it used to be. To come home from a restaurant or bar and have my clothes and hair smell like an ash tray. A very close friend is fighting for her life due to lung cancer. She never smoked a day in her life but her father did while she was growing up and while working in an office in the 80's and 90's she was again subjected to second hand smoke. She is only 42 and is very sick. That said the direction we are headed is to eventually make cigarettes illegal. That would be as stupid as prohibition or the current drug policies.

As to the idea that "smokers are dying off"... well Darwin, it takes millennia for evolutionary change.You know that IF they ever did make cigarettes ILLEGAL, that would make the organized crime so happy! Prohibition all over again! Prohibition never stopped anybody from selling, buying or drinking booze!

Look at illegal drugs! People know the chances they take selling, buying and using illegal drugs! If anything, I think the recreational drug market is bigger because they are illegal. The profit margin is certainly extremely high, so high that many are willing to risk their freedom and their lives to earn this type of money!

Then, what about all the hundreds of millions of dollars the U.S. Govt absolutely wastes on a war on drugs that I wonder if it really exists, as it doesnt seem like their is any shortage of illicit drug supply. What is the govt actually stopping?

And the insurance companies will not stop anyone who really wants to smoke tobacco from smoking tobacco! The people that lose their jobs, will get other jobs, and keep smoking!

As for smoking in public places, and restaurants, well, people that wish do have a right to have dinner and drink in smoke free enviroments! Youll just never stop all smoking in every place!

But, to me, there is a far more sinister evil lurking behind things like companies firing people who smoke outside the job! Seems more like preconditioning for things to come, like Big Brother! Our Govt, our democracy, is taking over, and taking all control, and stepping into our personal lives!

By the way, if they want to eradicate smoking tobacco products, or make smoking illegal, why arent they engaging in making the growing and production, and sale of tobacco products illegal! We shouldnt smoke it, but Phillip Morris can make it and advertise it, and sell it?

Mr. Widget
01-27-2005, 02:57 PM
On a separate side note. A few years ago we worked for a company that was developing a smokeless cigarette for Philip Morris. It was actually a specially developed cigarette that can only be used in a handheld burner. The cigarette does not stay lit and is only ignited as long as the cigarette is being drawn on.

After we had made a few of these prototypes, I was at a meeting held in a typical conference room, and several executives were smoking using these devices. I was amazed at how effective they were. I HATE the smell of burning cigarettes. In the conference room the only odor was like the smell of toasted bread. There was no visible smoke in the air. They produced a number of these units and test marketed them. Since we haven't heard any more about them I guess the test market failed.

It is too bad, because it did effectively deal with the secondhand smoke issues. The smokers will still get lung cancer or emphysema at the same rate, but that is their decision and at least they would only be affecting their own health.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
01-27-2005, 03:16 PM
I have never smoked a cigerret in my life. & I believe Im older than every one on this site BUT my mother, father, grandfather, aunt, cousen. all died from ciggeret related disease,s....Like I said I never smoked a ciggeret but I did smoke a few puffs on a cigar strange the smell of a fresh cigar smells sweet . but the taste is all together different. I assume a ciggeret is the same. I like the tast of SCOTCH but have naver tasted any other wiskey. Im not a prude just prefer a good wine. Does second hand smoke smell/taste like a ciggeret?

OFD
01-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, the governments will do high priced anti-smoking campaigns, while holding their nicotine laced breath, in the hope that no one will really listen because of the monstrous loss in tax revenue generated by smokers.

The rest of you non-smokers will have to pick up the bill when it really happens. I have done my bit to limit my smoking to designated areas, and don't smoke in my own home (Febreze costs too much).

Just a thought. Why not put all the cigarette tax revenue towards treatment of all proven cigarette related illness?

Oldmics
01-27-2005, 09:29 PM
"Just a thought. Why not put all the cigarette tax revenue towards treatment of all proven cigarette related illness?"

Because,like every other tax-It ends up lineing the fat cats pocket rather than going towards its original intended destination.

Oldmics