PDA

View Full Version : Ess Presidents Day Deal

Robh3606
02-20-2023, 10:59 AM
Anyone else see this? A great DIY deal!

Rob :)

https://essspeakers.store/collections/heil-amt/products/president-s-day-super-pack?_kx=OhZoMO1XGZsmDP2fbVuK0tK5y3fwKCAKkqYPw1WSD U4%3D.TmfZ4c

macaroonie
02-20-2023, 03:06 PM
There's a bargain. I always found ESS Heil drivers hugely transparent. Good handshake with JBL bass and mid drivers esp in diy builds.

Mr. Widget
02-20-2023, 03:07 PM
No I hadn't... interesting. They seem to be winding down their business. They haven't had any speakers available for a while.

I have a pair of their tweeters that I will probably never use. If anyone would like them as tweeters or to stack on their existing AMTs to get greater output and a broader vertical pattern, let me know.

Widget

speakerdave
02-20-2023, 03:35 PM
I was at a Hi Fi show in San Francisco when Dr. Heil presented his idea for bass: two woofers stacked and joined with carbon fiber rods, and as I recall, its own amp.I traded at one point some antique hi fi for a pair of Heil tweeters. Many years later they went on eBay.The only place I ever heard the ESS AMT-1's was Tower Records on Columbus in San Francisco. The Heil name always made me a little uneasy. It would have been a worthwhile gesture, I think, to call them Oskar tweeters instead. That would have been emphatically on the right side of history.

toddalin
02-21-2023, 11:51 AM
No I hadn't... interesting. They seem to be winding down their business. They haven't had any speakers available for a while.I have a pair of their tweeters that I will probably never use. If anyone would like them as tweeters or to stack on their existing AMTs to get greater output and a broader vertical pattern, let me know.WidgetYou really owe it to yourself to try them out. (I cross them over at 3kHz, but they really shine from ~5 kHz on up.) They don't go quite as high as a 2405, but they are smoother along the way. If you really want to dispose of them, I'll take them.

macsic
02-22-2023, 05:32 AM
My friends who have listened to these AMTs at home have bought them in turn. Even if they can be used up to 800Hz this is not where they are at their best, I have the same opinion as Todalin on this point. Another advantage in some configurations they are isodynamic. On one of my kit I like it very much as a tweeter and not for the mids.

grumpy
05-19-2023, 12:57 PM
Sale on again ... if interested (no association):

https://essspeakers.store/collections/heil-amt/products/cinco-de-mayo-heil-amt-mounting-kit-bundle

AMT pair and mounting kit $250, presumably +tax etc...

1audiohack
05-20-2023, 03:25 PM
I’m in this time.

Mine are on the way.

Thanks Grumpy! And thank you Rob for suggesting I give these a go.
Barry.

Wayner
05-22-2023, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the post. I got in this time too. Want to try a pair per side on Klipschorn bottoms.

badman
05-22-2023, 08:53 AM
You can waveguide these to great effect- basically you just want to make the magnet laminates extend out further in a flat plane, and terminate the edge with as much roundness as possible. https://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/1211/heil_amt1_horn.htm

toddalin
05-22-2023, 02:25 PM
You can waveguide these to great effect- basically you just want to make the magnet laminates extend out further in a flat plane, and terminate the edge with as much roundness as possible. https://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/1211/heil_amt1_horn.htmI've already done this and generated the file but the site will not let me display the flairs. I see no way to post photos here anymore and you can't simply put in the URL. The curve begins right at the "flat." I actually have two sets. One is with the flair/curve and the other simply extends the existing 45 degree angle out with a point at the terminus. I had a friend make them on his 3D printer.https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1333/80-dsc_0012_ee938775827336ccc79e15175a71cbe9427980f0. jpghttps://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1333/80-dsc_0011_d17ff33bb093c1aa25ff1d870e1a8e6c964e1537. jpg

BMWCCA
05-22-2023, 09:11 PM
Let's see:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2302/4035/files/[email protected]?v=1683309532

toddalin
05-23-2023, 10:31 AM
Are you people running Windows7 Pro and Chrome? For me, this site no longer has the icons for any insertion or link of any type. And if I try to put in the URL, it errors. I've found that what I need to do is put in my own opening brackets with the appropriate code, copy in the picture, then put in my own closing brackets/code to make it work.

hjames
05-23-2023, 10:55 AM
Are you people running Windows7 Pro and Chrome? For me, this site no longer has the icons for any insertion or link of any type. And if I try to put in the URL, it errors. I've found that what I need to do is put in my own opening brackets with the appropriate code, copy in the picture, then put in my own closing brackets/code to make it work.
Of course not - I'm using Safari on a mac Mini

Earl had posted a while back about changing your settings in your User Profile to match what is shown in this image - ...

toddalin
05-23-2023, 11:02 AM
Of course not - I'm using Safari on a mac MiniEarl had posted a while back about changing your settings in your User Profile to match what is shown in this image - ...Thanks. I'll look into it.

hjames
05-23-2023, 12:40 PM
Thanks. I'll look into it.

Its also helpful keeping chunks of input
from becoming just big blobs of unformatted text,
with no carriage returns, etc.
Honestly, you have shared so much good info on the Heil drivers and other stuff,
its the least I can do in return to help!

Riley Casey
05-24-2023, 07:46 AM
For some reason the image uploading option isn't offered on my settings page in Safari

Of course not - I'm using Safari on a mac Mini

Earl had posted a while back about changing your settings in your User Profile to match what is shown in this image - ...

toddalin
05-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Of course not - I'm using Safari on a mac MiniEarl had posted a while back about changing your settings in your User Profile to match what is shown in this image - ...Neither of the latter two settings are even offered to me under misc settings.

1audiohack
05-25-2023, 04:27 PM
I got mine and at a better deal that I thought. Apparently the price is for a pair, so, now I have four.

What a dope am I. Oh well. :)

Barry.

Mr. Widget
05-25-2023, 07:14 PM
I got mine and at a better deal that I thought. Apparently the price is for a pair, so, now I have four.

What a dope am I. Oh well. :)When you get around to trying them out, I have a pair I'll lend you if you want to get some all thread and try a stack three high.
It might be interesting.

Widget

RMC
05-25-2023, 11:59 PM
Usually when stacking conventional drivers vertically (horns, cones) you get increased efficiency, but also a
narrower vertical dispersion pattern. Does this same rule apply to the ESS AMT in view of its different operating
principle and shape? I'm curious since i never owned/used the AMT.

hjames
05-26-2023, 10:48 AM
@toddalin - I was reading other posts and just came across this post with all the details for fixing the editor and image posting issues on Lansing Forum

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?43110-Forum-image-upload-error&p=442784&viewfull=1#post442784

toddalin
05-26-2023, 10:51 AM
@toddalin - I was reading other posts and just came across this post with all the details for fixing the editor and image posting issues on Lansing Forumhttps://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?43110-Forum-image-upload-error&p=442784&viewfull=1#post442784As I said, the "Enhanced Attachment Uploading" doesn't even appear in my Profile settings.

alskinner
05-26-2023, 01:00 PM
toddalin

I'm using windows 10. At the top of the main screen there is notifications, my profile , settings and log out. If I select settings on the left hand side it lists My Messages then My Subscriptions and then My Settings. In My settings scroll to general settings scroll to the bottom of the page and there are the miscellaneous options.

I apologize if you have already tried this. Just trying to help

Regards
AL

speakerdave
05-26-2023, 01:29 PM
I got mine and at a better deal that I thought. Apparently the price is for a pair, so, now I have four. What a dope am I. Oh well. :) Barry.My reading of the site was the same as yours.

toddalin
05-26-2023, 03:32 PM
As I said, I don't have the option under Misc Options.

1audiohack
05-26-2023, 05:07 PM
When you get around to trying them out, I have a pair I'll lend you if you want to get some all thread and try a stack three high.
It might be interesting.
Widget

Hey then I could at long last have a line array. With that kind of vertical directivity maybe I could cut paper!

Should be fun. :)

Barry.

Robh3606
09-21-2023, 07:06 AM
Here we go again!!!!!! A pair for $250 if I didn't already I would.

https://essspeakers.store/collections/heil-amt/products/pair-of-heil-amts-mounting-kits?_kx=OhZoMO1XGZsmDP2fbVuK0tK5y3fwKCAKkqYPw1WSD U4%3D.TmfZ4c

Ian Mackenzie
09-23-2023, 03:35 AM
Are they going broke?

Robh3606
09-23-2023, 08:09 AM
Are they going broke?

Got me, look what else is available. The schematics are posted so with these you can DIY a nice project. Choice of 10's or 12's !!!

https://essspeakers.store/collections/parts/products/speaker-update-bundle

toddalin
09-30-2023, 05:30 PM
If anyone picks up a pair, I'll show you how to bring out detail you never dreamed of. And, now I've even figured out how to get rid of the "edge."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZGLOB6ixyY

mefisto
10-01-2023, 11:31 AM
Hi toddalin,

If anyone picks up a pair, I'll show you how to bring out detail you never dreamed of. And, now I've even figured out how to get rid of the "edge."

Would it be applicable even to the older model?

Also, as this is a JBL related forum, should we take it to P.M.?

Kindest regards,

M

toddalin
10-01-2023, 01:05 PM
Hi toddalin,

Would it be applicable even to the older model?

Also, as this is a JBL related forum, should we take it to P.M.?

Kindest regards,

M

I do it on the 1D model, but the architecture is similar, though not identical, and it may still work though maybe not as well. Certainly it would work to some extent. The crossover point (~3kHz) may be too high for your woofer though. For a couple bucks, isn't it worth a try though? Perhaps your flares would mitigate some of the roll-off.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/im-fixing-a-hole-heil.1025205/

At this time, I'm not using the felt, and have added foams to the front to remove the "edge." See the link.

mefisto
10-01-2023, 02:52 PM
Hi toddalin,

thank you for the link.

Kindest regards,

M

Robh3606
01-11-2024, 10:27 AM
They are back on sale!

https://essspeakers.store/collections/heil-amt/products/pair-of-heil-amts-mounting-kits?_kx=OhZoMO1XGZsmDP2fbVuK0tK5y3fwKCAKkqYPw1WSD U4%3D.TmfZ4c

BMWCCA
01-11-2024, 10:37 AM
Do we have stories here of successful implementation?

As I recall, heather bagged the ideal after a trial.

Just curious. I think I'm good on tweeters right now, but thanks for the heads-up!

Robh3606
01-11-2024, 11:26 AM
Do we have stories here of successful implementation?

As I recall, heather bagged the ideal after a trial.

Just curious. I think I'm good on tweeters right now, but thanks for the heads-up!

That's a good question. I still have mine but blocked off the backside so it was no longer radiating on the backside. Both sides didn't work in my room. Lost image focus compared to horns or direct radiators.

Toddalin's are heavily modified, blocked off rear and then some. Your right, have there been any straight up users??

hjames
01-11-2024, 12:33 PM
They are back on sale!

Urk! That kills my ad selling my pair at AK for $300 with the Toddalin smoked plexi bases ...
Ah well, they're in safe storage for now.

Robh3606
01-11-2024, 07:47 PM
Hello Heather

Just wait a month and yours will be a bargain again!

Ian Mackenzie
01-11-2024, 10:47 PM
That's a good question. I still have mine but blocked off the backside so it was no longer radiating on the backside. Both sides didn't work in my room. Lost image focus compared to horns or direct radiators.

Toddalin's are heavily modified, blocked off rear and then some. Your right, have there been any straight up users??

The challenges are not exclusive to the ESS AMT.

hjames
01-17-2024, 07:55 AM
Hello Heather

Just wait a month and yours will be a bargain again!

Can't complain, agreed on a price of $350 shipped to Knoxville for mine;
with the Toddalin Plexi bases, foam wedges, and the little wooden LPad boxes.
Gotta work at constant downsize in retirement ... lest things accumulate. ;)

Besides, the 2405 slots play easier with the other JBL drivers in the classic combo ...

toddalin
01-17-2024, 11:48 AM
Can't complain, agreed on a price of $350 shipped to Knoxville for mine;
with the Toddalin Plexi bases, foam wedges, and the little wooden LPad boxes.
Gotta work at constant downsize in retirement ... lest things accumulate. ;)

Besides, the 2405 slots play easier with the other JBL drivers in the classic combo ...

I got a request for a set this week, but no longer have access to the equipment and materials got to be outrageous and I would have to buy a full sheet to get any kind of price at all.

I told him I would sell him my original set, in clear acrylic, for $110. You know that if push came to shove, you could put your set on the other site and eventually, they would go.

hjames
01-17-2024, 01:25 PM
I got a request for a set this week, but no longer have access to the equipment and materials got to be outrageous and I would have to buy a full sheet to get any kind of price at all.

I told him I would sell him my original set, in clear acrylic, for $110. You know that if push came to shove, you could put your set on the other site and eventually, they would go.

Well, your bases were a nice accessory.
My Great Heils are sold, shipped, and being delivered even as we speak ;)
(with a pair of smoked bases, L-Pad boxes, and foam wedges to cut as needed).
Only issue was the Heils are a bit Heavy - a 33lb box!

Ian Mackenzie
01-17-2024, 11:31 PM
Gotta work at constant downsize in retirement ... lest things accumulate.

I know that feeling. The garage is always chock a block. No room for much diy. The question is what chuck out first…Lol.

BMWCCA
01-18-2024, 07:38 AM
My new, huge, unfinished basement makes it too easy to accumulate . . . stuff!

Currently I have six motorcycles in there, two of which are currently road-ready, three batteries on chargers, my disassembled L150A project with eight drivers done and waiting on cabinets, a dozen JBL pairs total, as well as multiple amp and pre-amp backups on shelves. I have two dual-seat restoration project for BMW R100RS Last Edition models which means three seats and their appropriate special-paint cowls for the one bike I own of the 250 ever made, as well as three seats for an R100R Mystic of which only 254 bikes were made. Then there's the model car collection just stored on one shelf unit holding maybe 500 models of bikes and cars. Then my wife's raw material for future projects, and my table saw, chop saw, compound miter saw, and drill press. And a couple of extra Ikea Poang leather chairs so I can sit and listen occasionally.

The sad part is I have three other motorcycles in the upstairs garage along with a disassembled BMW 1600 Cabriolet, and a 530i Sport/Premium stick-shift I've driven less than 10,000 miles in the eight-years I've owned it. And I still have dozens more amps in my old house along with L1, L3, L5, L7, 4412A, L96, L20T, 250Ti, and a complete Kyocera system still at the old house. And one small BMW 700 convertible in the old garage, as well as another 1600 Cabriolet and three Isettas under the old car port.

To add insult to injury, a friend who has stored my C35 cabinets for my old 030 system at his house for maybe 20-years, has probably close to 100 motorcycles and he'd like to bring at least three to add to my basement collection. And, oh yeah, he has one of my L80T systems in his billiard room.

I just have to stay healthy long enough to realize completion of half those projects! ;)

Mr. Widget
01-18-2024, 08:56 AM
I just have to stay healthy long enough to realize completion of half those projects! ;)Good luck on all of those projects... sounds like fun to me.

Widget