PDA

View Full Version : Audio Heritage / Lansing Heritage now under the Audiokarma umbrella

Wardsweb
02-13-2023, 01:31 PM
As the notice says, we are now part of the Audiokarma family of sites. Like you, I don't want to see things change here and as an early member (#39) I get it. Post any questions or concerns and I will do my best to answer.

JuniorJBL
02-13-2023, 04:51 PM
Thank you for the update!! :)

BMWCCA
02-13-2023, 05:30 PM
Upon logging in this evening I was met with this:

Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here

With no explanation. I tried another link and got to this point and I seem to be recognized. Did I do something wrong or will everyone get this message now?

Thanks

Mr. Widget
02-13-2023, 08:11 PM
Upon logging in this evening I was met with this:

With no explanation. I tried another link and got to this point and I seem to be recognized. Did I do something wrong or will everyone get this message now?

ThanksAmong other things we have been adjusting settings to filter out bots. I imagine that is what you ran into. Hopefully this won't become a recurring thing.

Widget

Chris Brown
02-13-2023, 08:36 PM
Is this forum going to be merged into the "The Lansing Legacy" sub-forum on AudioKarma? Or is it going to remain more separate than that? For those of us who have accounts on both forums (same username on both in my case), are the accounts going to be merged somehow? I think that this is a fantastic idea personally, just curious about the details.

DerekTheGreat
02-14-2023, 04:30 AM
Yeah, I was pretty close to making an account on Audiokarma, would be neat if I wouldn't have to now.

Wardsweb
02-14-2023, 11:14 AM
Upon logging in this evening I was met with this: With no explanation. I tried another link and got to this point and I seem to be recognized. Did I do something wrong or will everyone get this message now?ThanksSorry about that. As Widget said, we made some changes that we had to reverse. I got the same message. Should be fixed now.

Wardsweb
02-14-2023, 11:20 AM
Is this forum going to be merged into the "The Lansing Legacy" sub-forum on AudioKarma? Or is it going to remain more separate than that? For those of us who have accounts on both forums (same username on both in my case), are the accounts going to be merged somehow? I think that this is a fantastic idea personally, just curious about the details.Audiokarma and Lansing Heritage will continue to be their own stand alone forums. There are no plans to merge them. Think of AK as a parent company and Lansing stays its own. AK support helps with behind the scenes stuff like server upgrades and maintenance, software fixes and upgrades. For now working to get things stable, and take care of some long needed maintenance.

Don C
02-14-2023, 05:30 PM
Will we be seeing advertising?

hjames
02-14-2023, 08:20 PM
Will we be seeing advertising?
You have to ask that of the Grumpys - I have no idea.
But I suspect donations would be appreciated to help pay for the bandwidth ...

Mr. Widget
02-14-2023, 09:31 PM
You have to ask that of the Grumpys - I have no idea.
But I suspect donations would be appreciated to help pay for the bandwidth ...Agreed. Once things are back up and running, hopefully with a few donations from the committed (or those who should be committed) will hopefully stave off the need to add all of that visual noise.

I believe the current plan is to keep the look and feel of the site as close to the way it has been as possible.

Widget

JuniorJBL
02-15-2023, 11:12 AM
You have to ask that of the Grumpys - I have no idea.But I suspect donations would be appreciated to help pay for the bandwidth ...
Agreed. Once things are back up and running, hopefully with a few donations from the committed (or those who should be committed) will hopefully stave off the need to add all of that visual noise.I believe the current plan is to keep the look and feel of the site as close to the way it has been as possible.WidgetWould either of you mind updating us as to the best way to donate, either here or AK? I'm a subscriber on AK as well if that helps. I would be happy to help this cause.Thanks for all of your efforts here and there!!

Wardsweb
02-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Would either of you mind updating us as to the best way to donate, either here or AK? I'm a subscriber on AK as well if that helps. I would be happy to help this cause.Thanks for all of your efforts here and there!!I will ask what they best course of action is and let everyone know.

Mr. Widget
05-07-2023, 10:44 AM
Hi AK Team— Checking in.

Has there been any progress on trying to repair this semi-broken forum? I do not believe any new members have been allowed to join since last year and a number of the features are still not working.

Widget

rdgrimes
06-20-2023, 03:56 PM
Still not allowing anyone to register as a new member.

hjames
06-21-2023, 05:34 AM
Ak "just" complete a software update to XenForo to repair the broken search engine and other issues that occured during the last update.
I believe that update is still being tested, and finalized before they are ready to embark on sorting out the Lansing site,
which I believe was moved to a new server farm in anticipation of migrating from the somewhat broken vBulletin to XenForo.
I have no idea when that massive update is scheduled to occur.

Still not allowing anyone to register as a new member.

Uncle Paul
06-21-2023, 06:28 AM
All change comes with good and bad. This site has always been a labor of love by the folks that run and manage it, so I always feared that as we all got older the steam would run out and it would go the way of so many others. I think the main thing we will get, in addition to technical aspects, is continuity.

I hope that this does not become a situation where it needs to make certain revenue goals or it's off to the chopping block in a few years. I'm a subscriber at AK and would also gladly to the same here to keep this going.

I will miss the look and feel when we migrate to newer software, but mostly for the nostalgia. I think that's only changed slightly since I joined almost 20 years ago (making me still a relative newbie). That basic look and feel always reminds me of the nature of the site and it's purpose. That's certain to go, and I'll miss it, but that's just nostalgia at work. Hoping the look and feel of how the site runs never changes; there are few left with that particular vibe.

Something like this was inevitable, and if we had to go under someone's umbrella, AK is probably the best case scenario. I expect it will result at some point of a surge in membership that might get interesting before it settles down, but all in all I expect the positives will outweigh the negatives.

hjames
06-21-2023, 07:45 AM
There is that issue with the Heritage "founding folks" who are getting older and may have other concerns on a daily basis.
I know I got a LOT of value from the people on this site since I joined not quite 20 years ago, and want to give something back
and help it continue on even after those who built the site are not able to be as involved as they have been..
What is important to me is the folks who built and managed this website, and maintaining the accumulated knowledge here.
I'm sure paid membership will be helpful to cover the costs of maintaining this site going forward.

All change comes with good and bad. This site has always been a labor of love by the folks that run and manage it, so I always feared that as we all got older the steam would run out and it would go the way of so many others. I think the main thing we will get, in addition to technical aspects, is continuity.

I hope that this does not become a situation where it needs to make certain revenue goals or it's off to the chopping block in a few years. I'm a subscriber at AK and would also gladly to the same here to keep this going.

I will miss the look and feel when we migrate to newer software, but mostly for the nostalgia. I think that's only changed slightly since I joined almost 20 years ago (making me still a relative newbie). That basic look and feel always reminds me of the nature of the site and it's purpose. That's certain to go, and I'll miss it, but that's just nostalgia at work. Hoping the look and feel of how the site runs never changes; there are few left with that particular vibe.

Something like this was inevitable, and if we had to go under someone's umbrella, AK is probably the best case scenario. I expect it will result at some point of a surge in membership that might get interesting before it settles down, but all in all I expect the positives will outweigh the negatives.

Uncle Paul
06-21-2023, 08:37 AM
There is that issue with the Heritage "founding folks" who are getting older and may have other concerns on a daily basis.
I know I got a LOT of value from the people on this site since I joined not quite 20 years ago, and want to give something back
and help it continue on even after those who built the site are not able to be as involved as they have been..
What is important to me is the folks who built and managed this website, and maintaining the accumulated knowledge here.
I'm sure paid membership will be helpful to cover the costs of maintaining this site going forward.

Very well stated, especially about the founders and admins, many of who wither had direct connections to JBL or were a part of the speakers and other equipment we love so much. It's a BIG part of what makes this site so special.