PDA

View Full Version : Original L100 Century coming back to life

BMWCCA
11-29-2022, 06:33 PM
About six-years ago I got these early L100s from the original owner who has been a friend since high-school and college. These were the first L100s I ever heard. He bought them because he was fascinated by my 030 system in the C37 cabinets. They are the early in-line-driver version. Serial numbers are 34314 and 34.316

I've been quite active with them recently, attempting to repair the damage and abuse these suffered from his daze (sic) in the ZBT frat house at UVA in the '70s, later from his kids who poked in dust domes and destroyed the tweeters, and from the many moves these went through, including bad packing by the last moving company in whose packaging I received them.

So today I completed the repair of the first grille frame which came to me with broken particle board and cracked and missing walnut strips, but with a good set of unpainted (dark grey/black) Quadrex replacements I had talked my friend into back when I first joined this group. The Quadrex required some repair and cleaning themselves but they are mostly done. Along the way I've found that the walnut strips on the early systems were at least 1mm slimmer than the later versions. I ordered a set from Steve at Huntley and that's when I found they matched a pair of free grilles from the later versions but were thicker than what was left of the strips on "my" original in-line-driver. They are fitted and the first two applications of Watco Natural has been soaking into the walnut.

So this has brought up several questions in my mind which had me spending much of the day searching and reading the archives here, to no avail. It was fun re-reading Giskard, Zilch, and T-dome's comments on the L100 and the newbie owners who pop in here with the same basic questions. But even I couldn't seem to find satisfactory answers to some:

1. What is the serial number range for the L100? I saw a post making mention of some earlier than these, but is the range actually known? Is there a correlation to the serial number and date of manufacture?

2. What is that extra hole in the grille frame for? I now know that either the early or the late frame will fit the in-line versions and the cutouts seem to be intended to accommodate either version. But what's with that extra hole the same size as the four for the pegs? And this pair have wooden pegs. Was that common on the in-line version?

3. Did anyone ever come up with a readily available substitute for the favored Krylon Semi-Flat Black #1613? I've read everything I could find on this and other sites (Mustang, Corvette) and there's nowhere around here to buy it from an industrial supplier and Granger wants almost as much to ship a case as it costs to buy a case. I shot the first post-repair coat with one of my old cans of #1613 and then, after replacing the walnut strips, used the new Krylon "Satin" #7513 to paint the bottom of the walnut strips and the "gap" where the particle-board shows and the sheen and blending is nowhere as good as #1613. In fact, many hours later, it's still not dry to the touch! I have other Krylon "satin" to try still, but the old 1613 was my favorite even before I tried painting old JBLs.

4. I have plenty of JBL grille badges (none came with the L100s from my friend) but were they originally Velcro-ed in-place so they could be rotated depending on speaker orientation? Or were they attached in some other fashion?

5. I did several test samples of finishes for the walnut strips using scraps after mitering them. The best results seem to come from just straight Watco Danish Oil finish in "natural". But my old can of it was starting to turn to a gel, so I looked into replacing it. Lowe's didn't carry the "natural" and I was unable to find it on the website of Watco's new owner Rust-Oleum. So, on my day off, I went to my favorite hardware store where I'd bought the last can and they had three cans of the "natural". I asked them if they could tell from their price sticker on my old can when I might have bought that to compare current pricing. They said likely 2008. That price tag showed $8.99. Today's purchase was $14.99, but well worth it just to have a new can, but also to help keep alive one of the last "real" hardware stores around here.

I know you guys love visuals, so here's a selection of shots taken along the way, mostly to shame the original owner who told me they were in perfect condition when he sold them to me in the moving boxes. And then refunded most of that cost back to me once I sent him pictures!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49594462236_a814110a92_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49594462301_4808d3d556_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52514474554_709974c8ec_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52514200386_19ebc98916_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49594462371_4418c66565_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52532613201_79f9156c9f_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52533153663_511639be21_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52532613171_83bcdfd678_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52532142137_4e09ccb517_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52533153633_90b1002389_k.jpg

Mr. Widget
11-29-2022, 07:41 PM
Looking good!

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the L100 badges originally had a pin which was pushed into a small hole in the foam.

Keep it up and you’ll have a very nice pair.

Widget

hjames
11-29-2022, 08:09 PM
Looking VERY good Mr Phil!
The pair of L100s I bought used had the pin-style JBL badge. (As did the L36 Decades I bought new in 1976).
Bart at Indycraft (a now-gone vendor that made foam grills) told me to use a drop of Silicon RTV to affix the badge into the foam.
But you can't spin the badge for Horizontal use once you fix them that way.

Looking good!

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the L100 badges originally had a pin which was pushed into a small hole in the foam.

Keep it up and you’ll have a very nice pair.

Widget

BMWCCA
11-29-2022, 09:12 PM
Looking VERY good Mr Phil!
The pair of L100s I bought used had the pin-style JBL badge. (As did the L36 Decades I bought new in 1976).
Bart at Indycraft (a now-gone vendor that made foam grills) told me to use a drop of Silicon RTV to affix the badge into the foam.
But you can't spin the badge for Horizontal use once you fix them that way.I believe these were from Indycraft. I'd asked him if my friend could just buy them unpainted, and that's what he got. Never trimmed the cube for the badge though.

hjames
11-30-2022, 09:05 AM
I believe these were from Indycraft. I'd asked him if my friend could just buy them unpainted, and that's what he got. Never trimmed the cube for the badge though.
Exactly. I got the same unpainted dark grey foams from Indycraft for the L100s I refurbed years back ...

BMWCCA
11-30-2022, 05:48 PM
Exactly. I got the same unpainted dark grey foams from Indycraft for the L100s I refurbed years back ...

Looks like the only difference would be that my black leather Poang chairs have black frames. My red ones have the natural frames though!

BMWCCA
12-04-2022, 10:49 AM
Looking good!

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the L100 badges originally had a pin which was pushed into a small hole in the foam.Grilles now complete with the exception of sizing the peg holes after so much paint. Quadrex is glued in-place with spray adhesive and some original badges from my collection pushed through after snipping the cube to fit. Used the pin height on the badges to determine how much cube to cut, and took one deep breath. Had the spring washer for the badge pegs but cut some plastic spacers the size of the badges to go on the back of the foam. I have no idea how they were held on originally but seemed it needed a little something other than just the split/spring washer. Playing the S38 while working on these. Should make for a good comparison when done. (Quadrex grilles are the same color, one in sun and one in shade.)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52542534859_0c34a5fcfc_k.jpg

BMWCCA
12-04-2022, 12:36 PM
After waiting four-days for the Krylon Satin Black to dry, I broke down and ordered six cans of Krylon 1613 Semi-Flat Black from SkyGeeks online, a Krylon Industrial seller. Once you see how much better 1613 is, the money is really no longer an issue. Six cans including shipping and state tax was about $92. Nothing is cheap these days. There are very few things that really work anymore, either!

1audiohack
12-04-2022, 01:24 PM
I just love those. Well done.

One day I will figure out the geometry of the foam on those grills and make them for everything I own. :)

Barry.

Mr. Widget
12-04-2022, 06:53 PM
Excellent work!

Widget

BMWCCA
12-04-2022, 07:13 PM
Excellent work!Widget
Within the past two months I've salvaged an abused pair of Gen-1 L100 and an abused pair of DCM TimeFrame 600. I can't call them restored, but they are now working as they should and are mostly presentable. I feel like the local SPCA no-kill shelter: Just doing what I can because . . . what else should be done with these??

BMWCCA
12-14-2022, 12:40 PM
Here's the "beauty shot" I sent to the original owner:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52563910644_354c5eb602_k.jpg

That's about as far as I'm going to take them. Not looking for aesthetic perfection or resale value!

rusty jefferson
12-14-2022, 01:32 PM
Those look pretty good. Pretty, pretty, pretty good!

BMWCCA
12-14-2022, 02:55 PM
Those look pretty good. Pretty, pretty, pretty good!

Certainly better than what I started with!

They were originally used with a JBL SA660, which my friend had already sold when I got the speakers from him.
Too bad I didn't get that, too!

DerekTheGreat
12-15-2022, 06:17 AM
What rusty said! Real nice job. Love the vertical arrangement of all the drivers too, wonder why JBL phased that out? Non-mirror imaged cabinets make my OCD itch.
Also, weren't the woofers on later L100's not flush with the cabinet like yours?

BMWCCA
12-15-2022, 07:18 AM
I believe the 4310 and 4311 had the woofers surface-mounted but all of the consumer versions were recessed into the baffle. My understanding of the later driver alignment was to cluster all the sources closer together for near-field monitor use. But it really wasn't that much of a difference and the true studio monitors were already in a tighter cluster. (???)

What I've not seen before—but have no reason to doubt the authenticity of—are the wooden grille pegs (split dowels, actually) on mine.

???

Mr. Widget
12-15-2022, 10:02 AM
Nice results... well done.

Do you have a place for these or will they remain in the collection?

Widget

BMWCCA
12-15-2022, 05:23 PM
Nice results... well done.

Do you have a place for these or will they remain in the collection?Same question the original owner asked! ;>)

Same answer: They will join some dozen other JBL variants in a room yet to be finished in the upstairs above the master suite.

It's a nice space with double windows in the West-facing shed dormer and the North wall overlooking the mountains, and an irregular ceiling due to the gables. Fully insulated and air-conditioned with plenty of power. Right now it just has code-required fire-retardant paper over sprayed foam insulation on walls and ceiling but I hope to have time to finish (drywall, carpet) once I'm no longer working 50-hours-per-week. Here's the view from that dormer during construction nearly five-years ago:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52566487375_f222d5b741_k.jpg

For now, they are in an array in the basement (similar finished state but with rock-wool and Tyvek with cement floor) joining L1, S38, LSR305P, Pro-III Plus, and DCM TF500 and TF600 with a mobile tool cabinet holding a Crown Studio Reference-II, Power Line Three, Soundcraftsmen Pro Control Four, TEAC CD with iPod dock, and a Sony SACD player. There are also a pair of L150A waiting their turn, and my original JBL 030 system (new to my Dad 65+years ago) in unmatched boxes waiting to become 3-way with the addition of acquired Le175DLH and N1200 and "new" C35 cabinets I bought decades ago for the project but they are still stored in friend's basement. The intention was to tri-amp them with Crown VFX2A crossovers purchased from Steve Higgins here maybe 15-years ago, with D45, D75A, and either D150A-II or DC300A-II, just for fun! Oh, and I forgot about the pair of S70 Alpha-I down there, too. Given to me by their original owner. Ho-hum.

So you see, they're not going anywhere—at least not while I'm still living.

BMWCCA
12-21-2022, 05:25 PM
I've been playing these L100s for a while now—and enjoying them. I'll occasionally switch back to others in the room just to do a bit of pallet-cleansing of my ears. I still think the DCM TF600 blows them away!

As much as I never appreciated this very pair of L100s back 50-years ago, I still think they deserve to be preserved as they were. I'm not interested in any network changes, Zilch-plugging the port, or updating anything. In fact as crappy as the speaker connectors are, they are still working (well, as well as hey ever did) so I ordered some of these to make connection easier since everything else has bananas and I just know one day the spring buttons will simply come apart. I got these off Amazon for $14 the pair. I've had something like this in mind for years but never really found ready-made female jacks that worked well enough. So I paid someone who had the same idea but was obviously better suited to the realization of the item!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52577901237_9f87191a28_k.jpg

BMWCCA
01-02-2023, 07:42 PM
They gave me today off since I worked every day last week (end of the year). So, after a brief stop at work to make sure they hadn't f'd up something, I decided it was a good time to rub some more Watco into the L100 grille frame walnut strips. And, or course, I had to play them. Those female banana jack pigtails really make it much easier to swap the leads out so I ended up playing the L100s, L7, S38, and then the DCM TimeFrame 600s. They all sounded nice. The L7 is just superb and makes a comparison with the others really unfair though.

So then I had the TF600 playing aimed to the "craft" area in the basement an hooked up another JBL pair to the Crown Studio Reference-II jacks in the "speaker" area, and went to another area to install a headlight lens in a BMW motorcycle fairing. The bike is one of 200 sold in the USA (R100RS Motorsport) but it came to me recently with an odd-looking lens fitment. After studying what it was about the lens that bugged me and realizing that it had a later lens but installed in the correct year "tunnel", I discovered it was only on the very earliest of any of the R100RS models that had the correct lens for this Motorsport. And I'd purchased my first R100RS, a '78, in November of 1977 so I knew it looked wrong. So I ordered one from a used-parts store in the Netherlands which arrived last week. Figured I'd just put it in while listening to the David Crosby "Lighthouse" album produced by that Snarky Puppy guy, Michael League.

When I went back over to the speaker section of the basement I sat for a moment in one of the Poang chairs and thought how nice the tone balance of the L100s was on this album, and how smooth the transition from the fairly deep bass was to the vocals. And then I realized I was actually listening to one of my JBL Pro-III Plus sets that I'd recently replaced surrounds on after paying twenty-bucks for the set including sub off Craig's List.

I mention this at all because I was never a true believer in the L100, even from Day One. But I thought they actually sounded pretty good—until I realized I was playing a $20 JBL setup with tiny monitors and a single passive sub with only an 8-inch driver!!! The mystique of the L100 was lost on me and I ended up listening to the album again from the beginning on the little Pro-III Plus system. I never have realized why I'm so pleased with these and they never get any mention. (shrug)

hjames
01-03-2023, 07:10 AM
Exactly why I sold my grey L100s after getting them cleaned and fixed up.
The mystique did not match what I actually heard from them - they did not "wow" me.
And I was quite willing to accept crazy money and shipping charges to FLA for mine ...
There is always another pair of great JBLs to enjoy!

They gave me today off since I worked every day last week (end of the year). So, after a brief stop at work to make sure they hadn't f'd up something, I decided it was a good time to rub some more Watco into the L100 grille frame walnut strips. And, or course, I had to play them. Those female banana jack pigtails really make it much easier to swap the leads out so I ended up playing the L100s, L7, S38, and then the DCM TimeFrame 600s. They all sounded nice. The L7 is just superb and makes a comparison with the others really unfair though.

So then I had the TF600 playing aimed to the "craft" area in the basement an hooked up another JBL pair to the Crown Studio Reference-II jacks in the "speaker" area, and went to another area to install a headlight lens in a BMW motorcycle fairing. The bike is one of 200 sold in the USA (R100RS Motorsport) but it came to me recently with an odd-looking lens fitment. After studying what it was about the lens that bugged me and realizing that it had a later lens but installed in the correct year "tunnel", I discovered it was only on the very earliest of any of the R100RS models that had the correct lens for this Motorsport. And I'd purchased my first R100RS, a '78, in November of 1977 so I knew it looked wrong. So I ordered one from a used-parts store in the Netherlands which arrived last week. Figured I'd just put it in while listening to the David Crosby "Lighthouse" album produced by that Snarky Puppy guy, Michael League.

When I went back over to the speaker section of the basement I sat for a moment in one of the Poang chairs and thought how nice the tone balance of the L100s was on this album, and how smooth the transition from the fairly deep bass was to the vocals. And then I realized I was actually listening to one of my JBL Pro-III Plus sets that I'd recently replaced surrounds on after paying twenty-bucks for the set including sub off Craig's List.

I mention this at all because I was never a true believer in the L100, even from Day One. But I thought they actually sounded pretty good—until I realized I was playing a $20 JBL setup with tiny monitors and a single passive sub with only an 8-inch driver!!! The mystique of the L100 was lost on me and I ended up listening to the album again from the beginning on the little Pro-III Plus system. I never have realized why I'm so pleased with these and they never get any mention. (shrug)

Odd
01-03-2023, 07:33 AM
Phil, you've done a really nice job on them.

But they are museum pieces.

BMWCCA
01-03-2023, 04:53 PM
Phil, you've done a really nice job on them.

But they are museum pieces.Maybe . . . and maybe not.

But this sure is:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52605020487_be985dbf71_k.jpg

Mr. Widget
01-04-2023, 07:58 AM
Maybe . . . and maybe not.

But this sure is: That sure is pretty… Too nice to use on the street!

Widget

hjames
01-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Phil's got a basement of the BESTEST toys! :D

BMWCCA
01-04-2023, 05:37 PM
That sure is pretty… Too nice to use on the street!Makes me feel very old to realize this one is now 45-years-old—and that my first BMW was seven-years prior to that! ;)

Hey, are emogis working again? :hurray: