PDA

View Full Version : Center channel recommendations for use with XPL200's.

DerekTheGreat
11-16-2022, 03:05 PM
Howdy everyone, What would be a good center channel to pair with my XPL200's? Since my acquisition of some UREI 813C's, the XPL's have moved downstairs to cover HT duty. Currently I am running a JBL EC35. That's about as tall as I can go, but wider and/or deeper wouldn't be an issue.

Robh3606
11-16-2022, 05:12 PM
I am using an Array 880 and love it! you might be able to get one used at a decent price. My previous was a URIE 811C clone and the Array is even better.Rob :)

rdgrimes
11-16-2022, 08:15 PM
The EC35 is a pretty cheaply made unit. Depending on the configuration of your front stage, I'd suggest you at least try out the "phantom center" approach. Most pre/pro units offer such a setting. Also recommend the 880 Array.

DerekTheGreat
11-17-2022, 04:44 AM
I am using an Array 880 and love it! you might be able to get one used at a decent price. My previous was a URIE 811C clone and the Array is even better.Rob :)
The EC35 is a pretty cheaply made unit. Depending on the configuration of your front stage, I'd suggest you at least try out the "phantom center" approach. Most pre/pro units offer such a setting. Also recommend the 880 Array.Thank you for the recommendations, fellas! I like the look of the 880! Whoo boy though, it's a bit spendy for me right now. I'll keep an eye out though. Until then, any other options for about $500 or less? I probably won't be able to change my center out for a while, but I can at least get an idea of what needs to go in it's place. :)Phantom center? I have tried just turning the center off and didn't mind it that way, just figured I've got the center so shouldn't I use it? The EC35 is pretty cheap, I had Northridge series everywhere up until the UREI's came to town. Who knew some cheap speakers I bought used while in college would have lasted me into my mid 30's? But the EC35 is the last piece of it, I've got LX44's as my rear surrounds. I figure those match OK with the XPL's given they've got similar tweeter tech going on.

rdgrimes
11-17-2022, 07:44 AM
Duh, I should have mentioned the PC600, probably the best match for your XPLs, and used units can sometimes be found in the $500 range.

DerekTheGreat
11-17-2022, 11:58 AM
Groovy! Thank you, I'll keep that little fella in mind.

Chris Brown
11-19-2022, 12:36 AM
I use a 520C (https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+520C.html) in my Home Theater with a pair of L5's as mains. I know that not everyone loves the 520C but it goes on sale regularly, sometimes for as little as $100 or so, and I think that it sounds great with my L5's.

DerekTheGreat
11-21-2022, 06:08 AM
Ah, thank you for the suggestion Chris. Seems like it could be a good fit, nice 'n' cheap too. How could it sound any worse than an EC35?