PDA

View Full Version : Broken corners on JBL crossovers? No problem!

Eric M.
09-03-2022, 11:00 PM
Well, not exactly. This was way too much work. It's probably easier to purchase a replacement crossover! Anyways, I wanted to see if it could be done.

-Build up the broken corner with an aluminum welder. Tape off the rest of the faceplate. Aluminum welding splatters and will damage any aluminum the splatter lands on, especially the raised aluminum trim around the face of the crossover.
-File the corner to proper size. Both corners, front and back. Build up with the welder if you have low spots and file again.
-Coat the new corner with Bondo (automotive body filler) and sand smooth.
-Put a faceplate with good corners over your repaired faceplate (Face to face), clamp together and drill out the holes on a drill press. This needs to be dead perfect. The holes, after countersinked, are very close to the edges. If you're off, when it comes time to countersink, you'll go right off the edge.
-Countersink the new hole to match the existing.
-Paint the repaired area.

Sounds easy, huh? I had a handful of faces with broken corners, it was this or toss them out! This was more successful than the autoformers I tried to wind :(

srm51555
09-04-2022, 06:02 AM
Awesome work!

Eric M.
09-04-2022, 06:44 AM
Awesome work!

Thanks! :)

1audiohack
09-04-2022, 10:13 AM
Wow that is real work! That die cast crap is not easy to weld.

Good job there.
Barry.

Mr. Widget
09-04-2022, 11:18 AM
Damn, you are a glutton for punishment!
Impressive patience, perseverance, and skill... not necessarily in that order.

Well, done.

Widget

mmc8180
09-04-2022, 01:34 PM
I am more impressed with the paint job, and how the lettering was left unpainted. How did you do that?

Not that your welding work wasn't good (it is), but I have done lots of welding, so the paint job impresses me more.

BMWCCA
09-04-2022, 04:18 PM
I am more impressed with the paint job, and how the lettering was left unpainted. How did you do that?

Not that your welding work wasn't good (it is), but I have done lots of welding, so the paint job impresses me more.
Not welding. Bondo.
Block sanding after paint give those results.
:thmbsup:

mmc8180
09-05-2022, 07:49 AM
Not welding. Bondo.
Block sanding after paint give those results.
:thmbsup:

Gotcha, of course. I'd say simple, but need a steady hand and light touch while block sanding. And the lettering must be high enough...

Looks like both - welding then Bondo to smooth it out

BMWCCA
09-05-2022, 07:37 PM
Looks like both - welding then Bondo to smooth it outYes, that is likely the hardest part, but that's the only way to make it strong enough. Nice work.