PDA

View Full Version : Crossover for JBL 4344 Clone

manley
12-23-2021, 12:59 AM
Hallo All

I have a question I hope you help me answer, over the past years I have been collecting drivers to make a JBL 4344 clone.
Now I have all the drivers and the cabinet are in the process of being made,

The Drivers I have is

Low: JBL 2235
Mid: JBL 2123
JBL: 2426
JBL 2404

So now the only question left is what crossover to run with, I have been searched the internet and read a lot of treads to find the best option for the crossover.
Hallo All

So now the only question left is what crossover to run with, I have been searched the internet and read a lot of treads to find the best option for the crossover and until now I have found 3 options

Option 1: As I understand the Charge Coupled Crossover (below schematic) is good, but it has a lot of big capacitors with large values, which are quite expensive if you want to buy them in a good audio quality
so before I use all my saved up money on this. I hope you will guide me

Both option 2 and 3 are somewhat cheaper to make as the values on the capacitor are lower that option 1, so if I go with option 2 or 3 I also have the ability to buy better components.

Option 2: __Ver 2_2_AVT 4345 Bi-Amp:

Option 3: JBL 4344 Xover Schematic

Option 4:? Is there any crossover that I have missed?

I hope that someone on this forum will help me out, so I can make the decisions and move on :D

BR
Manley

christo
12-23-2021, 11:03 AM
Option 4:? Is there any crossover that I have missed?

BR
Manley

Hi Manley

Option 4 is to use the original JBL 4344 MKII cross-over, do not use the cross-over I posted in my 4344-clone thread (your option 3). Based on members comments I went back and replaced the cross-over with the JBL 4344 MKII. Far superior to my original cross-over attempt.

The 4344 MKII cross-over is one of the better 43xx cross-overs and if you tune the drivers correctly it is near impossible to pick out the individual drivers during listening.

Other suggestions - Don’t put too much acoustic fill in the 2321 dog box I did originally and then went back and reduced it by half. This made a huge difference with the systems' overall tone - read blending of the 2123 with the woofer and HF drivers.

Note: Not sure how the MKII will work with a 2402 UHF driver, you should really try and find a 2405. And yes, I know the current prices of 2405 are ridiculous.

Chris

Ian Mackenzie
12-23-2021, 06:17 PM
Hi Manley,

If you plan to go full passive (not biamp) then l recommend using the woofer and midrange filters from the 4344mk2 crossover.

For the horn use the new equivalent crossover posted by Giskard/4313.

The reason is the voltage drives in the 4344mk2 crossover are set up for an acquaplas dusted titanium diaphragm which has a different subjective sound profile to the stock 2425/2426 diaphragm. The stock 4344 horn filter a has sharper low pass slope due to its extended brighter subjective sound profile. The 4344mk2 horn filter has a more gentle low pass filter action that allows the dusted diaphragm more subdued high frequency response to continue out to 20,000 hertz.

For the same reason the 2405 voltage drive is also different. It’s more aggressive than the stock 4344 2405 filter to account for loss of transient detail in the acquaplas dusted diaphragm.

You will need to experiment with the 2404 driver.

manley
12-24-2021, 02:44 AM
Hallo Ian and christo

Thank you for all the help in this I really appreciate it: D

i just have one last question left:
if I want to remove the biamp option from the 4344MKII crossover
can i then just not remove the wiring and components marked with red on below pic? (Middel of the 4344MKII)

thanks again for all the advice you have given me so far: D

BR
Manley

Ian Mackenzie
12-24-2021, 03:07 AM
Yes leave those parts in. They provide the correct voltage drive from the passive bandpass filter.