PDA

View Full Version : C50 Olympus

ET60
09-25-2021, 09:52 AM
Hello
I believe this is a S8 system. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Trying to upload photos I hope it works. I will have to do it in two posts
Thank you[8960589606896078960889609

ET60
09-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Hello
I believe this is a S8 system. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Trying to upload photos I hope it works. I will have to do it in two posts
Thank you[8960589606896078960889609

Mr. Widget
09-25-2021, 11:53 AM
It is probably an S8. Grab a photo of the mid driver to confirm or pull off the lens and see if you have a 1” or 2” driver.

Assuming that you have the 2” 375 drivers in there, then yes they are S8s and if in good condition are keepers. You will need to refoam the woofers if you want them to sound right. The old Lans-a-loy gets stiff over time and will drastically reduce the low frequency output.

Hopefully the mid and high frequency compression drivers haven’t been abused.

Widget

Mr. Widget
09-25-2021, 11:56 AM
I just looked more carefully, they are not a pair of speakers, but rather two singles. One looks to be an S7 with the energizer (JBL’s integral amplifier) and the other is the one that is likely the S8.

Widget

ET60
09-25-2021, 02:18 PM
It is probably an S8. Grab a photo of the mid driver to confirm or pull off the lens and see if you have a 1” or 2” driver.

Assuming that you have the 2” 375 drivers in there, then yes they are S8s and if in good condition are keepers. You will need to refoam the woofers if you want them to sound right. The old Lans-a-loy gets stiff over time and will drastically reduce the low frequency output.

Hopefully the mid and high frequency compression drivers haven’t been abused.

Widget
2"

ET60
09-25-2021, 02:22 PM
I just looked more carefully, they are not a pair of speakers, but rather two singles. One looks to be an S7 with the energizer (JBL’s integral amplifier) and the other is the one that is likely the S8.

Widget

My Dad always used them the way they are since 61 or 62. I'm too ignorant to know how to change them. I don't even know how to hook them up

ET60
09-25-2021, 05:07 PM
My Dad always used them the way they are since 61 or 62. I'm too ignorant to know how to change them. I don't even know how to hook them up

The way I understand it is that the Transducer works both through a component cable. Is that not so?

ET60
09-25-2021, 05:10 PM
2"

He quit using them when he discovered YouTube. He was an old man and each day I understand more about that.

Mr. Widget
09-25-2021, 05:14 PM
The way I understand it is that the Transducer works both through a component cable. Is that not so?I’ve never seen one before. If you can take a sharp picture of the unit I bet we can figure it out.

I assume the C50 with the Energizer has a 1” LE85 instead of the 2” 375 driver.

Widget

ET60
09-26-2021, 06:35 AM
Mr. Widget
It is a 2" driver, I put a 2" supplement bottle in it. I did that while cleaning them to verify it was a 375.

ET60
09-27-2021, 08:42 AM
I’ve never seen one before. If you can take a sharp picture of the unit I bet we can figure it out.

I assume the C50 with the Energizer has a 1” LE85 instead of the 2” 375 driver.

Widget

Photos

Mr. Widget
09-27-2021, 11:23 AM
Never saw one or played around with one, but looking this over it seems pretty self explanatory. It is simply a stereo amp stuck on the back pf one of your speakers. The unbalanced RCA line level output from your preamp (or other line level source with a volume control) feeds the two RCA inputs of the Energizer. There are then a pair of speaker outputs that go to the two speakers.

Understanding this, only having one makes sense. That said, the question I have for you is if these were a matched pair, why is there no 075 tweeter (the silver bullet shaped unit) in one of the two systems?

There were two popular systems installed in the C50 cabinets. The S7 which had an LE15A woofer and an LE85 mid/tweeter, and the S8 system which had an LE15A woofer, a 375 mid, and a 075 tweeter. An S8 without the tweeter would have very rolled off highs. One S7 and one S8 would be an odd pairing.

Widget

ET60
09-27-2021, 12:00 PM
Never saw one or played around with one, but looking this over it seems pretty self explanatory. It is simply a stereo amp stuck on the back pf one of your speakers. The unbalanced RCA line level output from your preamp (or other line level source with a volume control) feeds the two RCA inputs of the Energizer. There are then a pair of speaker outputs that go to the two speakers.

Understanding this, only having one makes sense. That said, the question I have for you is if these were a matched pair, why is there no 075 tweeter (the silver bullet shaped unit) in one of the two systems?

There were two popular systems installed in the C50 cabinets. The S7 which had an LE15A woofer and an LE85 mid/tweeter, and the S8 system which had an LE15A woofer, a 375 mid, and a 075 tweeter. An S8 without the tweeter would have very rolled off highs. One S7 and one S8 would be an odd pairing.

Widget

That's a good question and I have no idea unless it can be shared the same way as the transducer.896288962989630

Mannermusic
09-27-2021, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Widget; Never saw one or played around with one, but looking this over it seems pretty self explanatory. It is simply a stereo amp stuck on the back pf one of your speakers. The unbalanced RCA line level output from your preamp (or other line level source with a volume control) feeds the two RCA inputs of the Energizer. There are then a pair of speaker outputs that go to the two speakers.

Widget[/QUOTE

Giving away my age here: My old 1964 catalog shows S8 as a two-way . . . as bad as that sounded. Later, at some point, it was apparently revised to 3-way with 075 (my 70s catalog shows the 075 std). So, suspect that is what happened here. Two separate purchases, the later with 075 upgrade. The plot thickens.

ET60
09-27-2021, 02:11 PM
My Dad bought them while stationed on Wake Island. Makes me think he got them in Japan. We were there in 1962. He had a Marantz model 7 and a letter, that I still have, from Marantz stating it would be cost prohibitive to exchange the model 7 for a model 9. Instead they would mail him the instructions and parts for the conversion. I don't know how to tell if that took place. He was an Electrical Engineer and a good solderer so he had the ability. I'm telling you all this because it may contain clues to someone on the forum.

Mannermusic
09-27-2021, 03:03 PM
My Dad bought them while stationed on Wake Island. Makes me think he got them in Japan. We were there in 1962. He had a Marantz model 7 and a letter, that I still have, from Marantz stating it would be cost prohibitive to exchange the model 7 for a model 9. Instead they would mail him the instructions and parts for the conversion. I don't know how to tell if that took place. He was an Electrical Engineer and a good solderer so he had the ability. I'm telling you all this because it may contain clues to someone on the forum.

Wow. Interesting - we may never figure it all out. But, I'll bet we can get it working if you want. That Energizer was a very early solid state amp using germanium output transistors, as I recall. I had one and it had a number of unique features but had that "grainy" sound those early SS units were famous for. But once Crown released the D series power amps, it was "game over."

ET60
09-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Wow. Interesting - we may never figure it all out. But, I'll bet we can get it working if you want. That Energizer was a very early solid state amp using germanium output transistors, as I recall. I had one and it had a number of unique features but had that "grainy" sound those early SS units were famous for. But once Crown released the D series power amps, it was "game over."

Yes I would like to hear it again other than through an old pioneer sx450. I know two wires per speaker and phonograph jacks,power and ground and that's about it. Now I might know what all of the germaniums, potentiometers, transistors, resistors and various other electronic parts are for. As a teenager I listened to it with the Marantz hooked up. My Dad moved in 1986 and when we were emptying the condo there weren't any cables or wires running to anything. That tells me they have been idle for at least 35 years. LP