PDA

View Full Version : New Veneer for top of 4343

rwwear
09-19-2021, 10:19 AM
One of my 4343's was damaged while moving recently and I decided to repair it. I replaced the old veneer with new only on the top and also repainted the baffles. Now I need to find out what type of finish to use that will match the old veneer and the other speaker. Any suggestions?

Robt.

B Scarpia
11-30-2021, 04:56 PM
Judging from the pic the original, it was almost certainly done with linseed oil based finish due to the period and lack of any red/orange tone. I'd simply wipe on Watco Oil with a lint free rag and wipe off the excess according to label directions. Assuming you have left over veneer, try some tests with just Natural, just Dark Walnut and mixtures of both. Keep in mind the linseed oil in the Watco will darken some more over time.

There are many more sophisticated techniques but likely you don't need another hobby. DON'T use polyurethane unless the speakers are going in a Frat House and much beer will be spilled. Polyurethane will be plasticky looking and not match the original low lustre.

rwwear
12-01-2021, 09:44 AM
Judging from the pic the original, it was almost certainly done with linseed oil based finish due to the period and lack of any red/orange tone. I'd simply wipe on Watco Oil with a lint free rag and wipe off the excess according to label directions. Assuming you have left over veneer, try some tests with just Natural, just Dark Walnut and mixtures of both. Keep in mind the linseed oil in the Watco will darken some more over time.

There are many more sophisticated techniques but likely you don't need another hobby. DON'T use polyurethane unless the speakers are going in a Frat House and much beer will be spilled. Polyurethane will be plasticky looking and not match the original low lustre.

Thanks for replying B Scarpia. I used linseed oil and it looks close. I also used red root oil which added a slightly reddish tone. Woodworking is one of my many hobbies BTW.

B Scarpia
12-03-2021, 07:37 AM
Thanks for replying B Scarpia. I used linseed oil and it looks close. I also used red root oil which added a slightly reddish tone. Woodworking is one of my many hobbies BTW.

Well, in that case, get crazy with Mohawk Ultra Flow Toners ;-}

Spray lacquer that uses dyes, not pigments like their Classic to subtly alter color.

rwwear
12-03-2021, 09:22 PM
Well, in that case, get crazy with Mohawk Ultra Flow Toners ;-}

Spray lacquer that uses dyes, not pigments like their Classic to subtly alter color.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I believe I'll leave well enough alone. It looks good.