PDA

View Full Version : L 75 minuet vs. L 96

Rafael
08-13-2021, 06:23 AM
Hi all,

i have the chance to buy either a pair of L 96´s or L 75´s at nearly the same price. Both are in good condition and professional refoamed. Any recommendation would be fine. The value of the L 75´s -especialy in Japan- is of course higher, but I want to choose soundwise. The different sizes are no issue. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Rafael

Odd
08-13-2021, 06:49 AM
If you want the best sound, without a doubt L96.
If you want a collector object L75.

L96 is one of the best small JBL quite similar to monitor 4313

Rafael
08-13-2021, 10:11 AM
Thank you for your answer,

the L 96 was my first JBL speaker in the 80s and -combined with a harman/kardon 655 amp- it was a really pleasure. I always screwed out the woofer and showed the chassis to friends wondering why I haven´t bought a then classic German speaker like canton, heco, magnat etc... About 40 years later I want to find out again what is true today in my memories...I heard a LE 8 T in a home-brew horn- enclosure and found a "midrange magic" that i hope this will be there again on the minuets. I will buy all of them and inform you about my experience. Thank you for your interest.

Regards, Rafael

Mr. Widget
08-13-2021, 03:13 PM
Please do come back with your thoughts after comparing the two. I totally understand the appeal of a full range driver… the lack of a crossover and the clarity that comes from the coherence of a single driver is very impressive in some systems. I’m not sure if it is the phase distortion caused by the insertion of the filters required for a multi-driver system, or the problems associated with driver interference that comes from a multi-driver system, but eliminating these is certainly a good thing.

I wonder if eliminating these issues is similar to reducing the number of filters or the amount of correction in DSPs. In my experience, while you may end up with a less linear system, less DSP tweaking often sounds more natural.

That said, in the case of single driver full range systems, I have not found one that works for me for the long haul due to limited bandwidth and lack of overall linearity.

Widget

Rafael
08-15-2021, 09:05 AM
Hi all,

after listening to the speakers in a calm and silent room with good equipment and fine records I have to say the l 96 is the better speaker. While the l 75 is more coherent in the midrange and maybe a little more vivid, the l 96 is less coloured and has a wider frequency range. The L 96 is still a very good speaker even by todays standards. Both speaker pairs will stay at my home- maybe I will combine the l 75 with a b380 and some tweeters. Thanks for your comments,

Rafael

Rafael
08-18-2021, 03:56 AM
Hi all,

Today I combined the L 75 with a Fostex T 825 slot tweeter above 12 k and a B 380 below 60 Hz. The coherent sound of the full range drivers is still there but finally a wide, open and uncolored sound appears -no contest to the normal L 75. I can´t see any advantage with the stand-alone fullrange chassis.

Regards,

Rafael