PDA

View Full Version : Altec 604-8H recone kits

totaltech
07-04-2021, 04:58 AM
G'day,
I have a pair of Altec 604-8h drivers. I was doing some T/S testing in my garage to design some new enclosures. After testing I put a towel over the fornt of both drivers, to protect against dust etc.
Big mistake, now I have white fluff imbedded in the surrounds.

Does anyone know where I can get re-cone kits for these?

I have contacted Bill at GPA and he cannot help...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Rob

Earl K
07-04-2021, 05:36 AM
I wouldn't recone for a simple cosmetic issue.

I would use a paint-stripper///heat-gun to soften the surround-goop and tweezer off the lint and//or collected hair-balls.

I'm surprised GPA didn't suggest the same thing ( maybe they did ?? ).

:)

totaltech
07-06-2021, 03:08 AM
Thanks Earl,
It was a bit hard to get a hold of Bill via email, it took more than a few attempts to get a response. No it was not suggested. I was contemplating shipping the over to get them to get re-coned, but shipping from Australia was prohibitive.
My tech at work said he would give it a go, since these things are appreciating in value, I am a bit conflicted!

Thanks so much for your reply! I will keep you posted..

Cheers

Rob

edgewound
07-07-2021, 01:10 AM
Thanks Earl,
It was a bit hard to get a hold of Bill via email, it took more than a few attempts to get a response. No it was not suggested. I was contemplating shipping the over to get them to get re-coned, but shipping from Australia was prohibitive.
My tech at work said he would give it a go, since these things are appreciating in value, I am a bit conflicted!

Thanks so much for your reply! I will keep you posted..

Cheers

Rob

If the surrounds are coated with the viscous oil known as 'goop'... set the speakers face up on a turntable and apply acetone with a bristle paint brush to soften and reflow the goop. The terry towel lint should release. No biggie, mate.