PDA

View Full Version : 4435 with D2 tech

retromick
05-13-2021, 05:37 AM
Hi I posted in the wrong spot
my system these days

grumpy
05-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Wondered when someone was going to do that :)
I assume you're enjoying them!
Any measurements? ... and going from .8 to 1.0" transition... looks long, but could be the camera/lens.
Exponential/conical? Just curious. Nice to see another kind of update and use of currently available drivers.

jmpsmash
05-13-2021, 01:43 PM
are you doing active crossover with the 4/600? do you have raw measurements of each driver before and after the change?

retromick
05-13-2021, 01:58 PM
are you doing active crossover with the 4/600? do you have raw measurements of each driver before and after the change?
Hi, im using a DBX venue 360 for the active network
I haven’t done any measurements as yet, but will over the coming days

retromick
05-13-2021, 02:01 PM
Wondered when someone was going to do that :)
I assume you're enjoying them!
Any measurements? ... and going from .8 to 1.0" transition... looks long, but could be the camera/lens.
Exponential/conical? Just curious. Nice to see another kind of update and use of currently available drivers.
The adaptors are about 25mm in length with a smooth taper

jarrods
05-15-2021, 10:35 PM
also possible 4344 0.8" to 1.0" (keeping 2307 taper) with 12mm thick adapter.
D2 blows the old 2425J away.

Ian Mackenzie
05-16-2021, 10:57 PM
Very interesting and great to see some action down under.

I have no doubt the D2 has some technical improvements. It would be interesting to compare the D2 equalised with the same response on those particular horns with the Jbl 2425 drivers.

At some point l look at the Radian 1 inch Be driver and compare to with the Radian AL diaphragms and also the stock 2425 now that genuine Jbl diaphragms are becoming harder to obtain.

My opinion is that when these different diaphragms/drivers are in fact equalised to have identical frequency responses on these particular horns the subjective differences are a bit more subtle than a plug and play comparison. Those networks were set up for those particular 2425 drivers. In the case of the 3145 network the horn crossover filter has an inbuilt response Tilt in the voltage drive to smooth the response on the 2425J drivers. If another driver is used then it’s preferable to measure response on that horn before the change out. Then tweak the response of the D2 to match with the DBX. A difference of one or two dB can make quite a difference in the apparent presence and tonality.

Often these older drivers have dead diaphragms in terms of fatigue over years of use. The more recent developments on horns and wave guides are equally important subjectively.

Anti K
05-17-2021, 01:38 PM
Nice to see some precise metalwork.

And, what is better than a 18'' low?
Two of them, right!

retromick
05-18-2021, 06:32 AM
Nice to see some precise metalwork.

And, what is better than a 18'' low?
Two of them, right!
I’m blown away with the the performance of the subs, every time I turn the system on, the warmer they get.