PDA

View Full Version : Removing LE25 From L100

cooperj
04-30-2021, 08:11 AM
Hello,

I need to remove an LE25 from an L100 but cannot get it to budge. I don't want to damage the surface with screw drivers or putty knives and need advice from others who faced the same problem, please. I considered using a hair dryer but I'm not sure that's a good approach either. Also, what do people use as a gasket between the metal driver frame and speaker surface.

Thank you,

Jeff

edgewound
05-01-2021, 01:35 AM
Hello,

I need to remove an LE25 from an L100 but cannot get it to budge. I don't want to damage the surface with screw drivers or putty knives and need advice from others who faced the same problem, please. I considered using a hair dryer but I'm not sure that's a good approach either. Also, what do people use as a gasket between the metal driver frame and speaker surface.

Thank you,

Jeff

There's a number of methods.

You could use lighter fluid or orange oil to loosen the bond...then use a tapered edge putty knife or wood chisel and tap hammer to gently pry the the tweeter body from the baffle. The fiber gasket is bonded to the paint of the baffle because they were assembled prior to full paint cure. Go slow...don't rush the process. You could put some blue masking tape down to protect the surface from marring. It's a common issue.

SEAWOLF97
05-01-2021, 08:35 AM
Had same problem on one of the bookshelves.

removed woof, and stuck my arm fully in the big hole,
found tweet and wacked it with the butt of my hand . that broke it loose.

grumpy
05-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Also... you might consider firmly tracing the outline with an xacto knife first, at an angle, slightly under the edge of the tweeter. If paint comes up (likely), this could help to reduce it from continuing beyond the perimeter.

cooperj
05-08-2021, 06:15 PM
I've been out of town for a while and want to say thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I ended up using an xacto knife and did it very slowly and I got the tweeter out. The one I removed didn't have the orange ring so I replaced it with one that does and installed one of Dougie's new foam rings. It looks great!

thank you.