PDA

View Full Version : Went STUPID/nuts on a VOTT resto-mod! COVID did me in!

bradmich
03-28-2021, 07:37 AM
Hey gang, thought you might enjoy these...

The COVID winter took a toll on me; what’s an audio restorer to do?... well, here ya go!

Design Goals
The goal was to recreate/update a classic that would be the ultimate fantasy for any audio mancave or home theater system.
But not just big, something elegant yet retro for the speaker’s time period, something even a spouse would like. The woofer’s convex opening is super-cool/distinctive and the grilles had to be just as… complimenting the woofer opening to bring natural balance to the design. Behind the grille is the precise port opening as the original design spec. Rather than typical grille cloth, metal grating with oblong holes (similar in shape to the speaker opening) were incorporated to invoke a rugged look as homage to the original industrial-use intent of the speaker.

Construction
Like the Altec’s original VOTT build design, the cabinets were constructed utilizing Medium Density Overlay (MDO) plywood. MDO is significantly heavier (more durable) and more costly than birch or other materials such as MDF or particle board. All Internal bracing is hardwood and all wood joints are dadoed (Not butt-jointed) and glued.

Additional internal hardwood cross-bracing was incorporated to reduce cabinet resonance. The concave section on either side of the woofer is fully-braced with matching curved hardwood, then filled with reinforcing/expanding form to further to reduce resonance.
All of the bottom interior walls are covered in sound absorption foam to reduce standing waves.
The exterior was carefully veneered in Rotary Walnut, then finished with 7 coats of Piano lacquer - sanded between coats. The solid aluminum legs are easily removable and the cabinet’s built-in carpet sliders make moving easy (each weigh 150 lbs.+). The 511b horn braces are customized brass fittings. Even the speaker Altec emblems are flushed into the veneer face as are the brilliance/presence control plates in the rear. The custom grilles readily snap on/off in the unlikely event that any future maintenance is required.

The Drivers
The woofers are as new. They were originally Altec 421s; re-coned to 416s and the magnets re-gaussed by Great Plains Audio – THE Altec guy! (Thanks Bill!). The 808a’s were dismantled and rebuilt with new original-spec diaphragms (not the cheaper Chinese versions) by Great Plains as well.

The Horns
All pits and seams were painstakingly filled and sanded, then powder-coated for an incredibly durable and beautiful finish. The 511b horns are known to “sing” - to mitigate that effect, sound deadening material was fused to the bottom (See pic).

The Crossovers (See pic)
An updated Model 19 crossover design was utilized to flatten the response from the originals as well as provide additional “presence” control for the compression drivers. French-made Solen Caps and open air-core inductors were leveraged. High quality binding posts, all connections soldered (where possible) and 12-gauge wiring was integrated throughout the cabinet.

Just finishing an absolutely beautiful (perfect!) set of JBL 4311’s that will soon be on e-bay.

1audiohack
03-28-2021, 08:25 AM
Those are breath taking. Absolutely gorgeous!!

Barry.

HCSGuy
03-28-2021, 08:26 AM
Wow! All I have to show from COVID winter is 10 extra pounds around my waist:(

Those look gorgeous. I have no experience with vintage Altec stuff, but I really appreciate the amount of time you put into them.

Mr. Widget
03-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Very, very nicely done! Really appreciate the attention to detail and your careful execution.

Thank you for sharing and inspiring us.

Widget

speakerdave
03-28-2021, 11:59 AM
I love how you repeated the shape of the horn throat in the cover for the reflex port.

Odd
03-28-2021, 12:55 PM
Very nice job.

RMC
03-28-2021, 05:45 PM
The home theater will be proud of that Altec voice for sure... Really nice cabs!

Titanium Dome
03-28-2021, 09:02 PM
Fantastic!

How do you move them, and, if you share the house with someone, where will the speakers reside? (Or should I ask, "Where will you reside?")

hjames
03-29-2021, 04:54 AM
That's some amazingly gorgeous work!
A fine attention to detail throughout!
Hard to associate those with the usual big grey VOTT systems we typically see!:D

Mr. Widget
03-29-2021, 05:31 AM
That A-4 is going to take a lot of veneer!

Widget

bradmich
03-29-2021, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the kinds words, It was a cold (Live in Michigan), long winter so was not in a rush to finish. Yes, they're too big for my household, going to need someone with a huge room to enjoy their potential. I'm just starting on my second pair for but this time with a twist.- Gonna see it I can up the game. :)

Here's a few more Close ups

SEAWOLF97
03-29-2021, 10:07 AM
woodwork looks great, and sure they sound great too.

must be very heavy , personally I would mount on rubber casters to
make placement , moving a little easier. :dont-know:

RMC
03-29-2021, 05:00 PM
RE "It was a cold (Live in Michigan), long winter so was not in a rush to finish."

If cold is what gets you going like that, then i suggest you move to cold Canada where you'll have time to make another nice pair... Maybe for me?? :)

bradmich
03-29-2021, 05:39 PM
RE "It was a cold (Live in Michigan), long winter so was not in a rush to finish."

If cold is what gets you going like that, then i suggest you move to cold Canada where you'll have time to make another nice pair... Maybe for me?? :)

Well......I am starting on a 2nd pair now (It's gonna rain for the next 30 days) ...should be completed by end of summer (How I've been married for almost 40 years - stay busy in the shop) :)

toddalin
03-30-2021, 01:02 PM
Not my cup of tea, but very nice. For $30K??? Seems a bit excessive.

macaroonie
03-30-2021, 01:27 PM
It's always nice to see a good veneer job. Makes them A7's seem more homely

BMWCCA
03-30-2021, 05:41 PM
Not my cup of tea, but very nice. For $30K??? Seems a bit excessive.
Yeah, I didn't understand the reference either, until I checked Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Altec-Lansing-VOTT-speakers-resto-mod-Home-audio-fantasy/174709763828?hash=item28ad836ef4:g:OmwAAOSwZtxgYJi n).

Mr. Widget
03-30-2021, 06:37 PM
Not my cup of tea, but very nice. For $30K??? Seems a bit excessive.I agree with you that we are not the customer, but I can certainly appreciate the man hours and skills applied. I also understand that you'll never get it if you don't ask.

You never know. If the right buyer sees them, $30K may seem like a bargain. I wouldn't build them for anything less. Heck, my dance card is full, it would take more than that to get me to take on the project.

A beautiful interpretation of a classic. I hope he connects with the right buyer. Based on what I am seeing and from the description, I doubt a better sounding pair of A-7s are out there.

Widget

HCSGuy
03-30-2021, 11:55 PM
As I said before, huge Kudos to BradMich for great workmanship on some beautiful speakers. It is very difficulty to get your money back out of something like this - it's like building your dreamhouse, then trying to sell it. Just because it's your dream, doesn't make it someone else's. Even if someone likes the speakers, and has the money, they may not like the wood species you used, and don't want them. I remember Woody Banks built some gorgeous 4355 variants and tried for quite some time to sell them, before parting them out. Widget has the advantage of coming to the transaction from the opposite direction - he has exposure to wealthy clients who want a music system, they pay him to design that system, and if needed, will build them speakers as part of that system, but the budget and design are decided before he does the work.

I wish you luck with your sale, and also request that other LH'ers not jump on BradMich over whether or not they agree with the asking price or value. Contaminating his sale doesn't get us anywhere. Lastly, is there a better place to list your speakers for sale? I sell stuff on Audiogon.com occasionally, and have had really good experiences with the people I've met. Consider giving it a try - I think you can either pay up front for a 30 day listing for 2% or so of your price, or pay 4% after the sale, which lets you relist it until it's sold, or cancel it at little or no charge.

Welcome to the forum, btw:)

bradmich
03-31-2021, 08:52 AM
Thanks Widget and HCSGuy!!! - I truly appreciate your support and perspective.

You’ve had your hands dirty and know what it takes. It’s easy to surmise; “alls-you-gotta-do” if you’ve never done it. As you know all too well, to do an average build is 1x work - great work is 3x.

I’m not getting rich; was 300+ hours and almost $7K of materials alone - was done to keep my sanity for being indoors over the Covid winter. I love looking at other folks work and insight on this forum (people have shared some really great advise as I'm new to VOTTs) - was just trying to provide my contribution.

Thanks again!

BMWCCA
03-31-2021, 05:01 PM
If you check Kenrick prices, these are likely right in line.

I'm just enjoying your showing us your craftsmanship!

Best of luck.