PDA

View Full Version : JBL mid bass drivers K120 vs D131

listenhere
03-21-2021, 06:17 PM
I have Edgarhorn Titan speakers. Originally the mid bass drivers were K-120, 8 ohms. Around 15 years ago, I changed to D-131, 16 ohms. I cannot remember clearly but I think the crossover had to be adjusted to accommodate the 16 ohm D-131 but like I said I don't know if anything was really done. Swapping 8 ohms and 16 ohms, should the crossovers be adjusted accordingly? I want to try the K-120's again but not sure if this is something worthwhile to pursue... i.e. I believe the D-131 is favored, slightly, over the K-120. In one speaker, I have to re-cone the D-131 because I damaged the aluminum dome while I was cleaning it. I had to fumigate the speaker because of termites! During the re-coning of the D-131, I am considering to try out the K-120, 8 ohms, but no point in trying if the crossovers have been set for 16 ohm drivers. Or is there no significant difference between using an 8 ohm or 16 ohm driver? Thanks.

BMWCCA
03-22-2021, 05:03 AM
Why not just replace the aluminum dust-dome?

Mr. Widget
03-22-2021, 06:35 AM
Several thoughts.

1. Depending on the years of production, the D131 woofer and the K120 are identical speakers.

2. Changing from an 8 ohm woofer to its 16 ohm version will require adjusting a passive crossover.

3. If the only damage done to the woofer is a dented aluminum dome, do not recone the speaker. JBL no longer offers replacement kits for these speakers. As BMW suggests above, a good reconer can replace just the dome.

Widget

Earl K
03-22-2021, 07:50 AM
I have Edgarhorn Titan speakers. Originally the mid bass drivers were K-120, 8 ohms. Around 15 years ago, I changed to D-131, 16 ohms. I cannot remember clearly but I think the crossover had to be adjusted to accommodate the 16 ohm D-131 but like I said I don't know if anything was really done. Swapping 8 ohms and 16 ohms, should the crossovers be adjusted accordingly? I want to try the K-120's again but not sure if this is something worthwhile to pursue... i.e. I believe the D-131 is favored, slightly, over the K-120. In one speaker, I have to re-cone the D-131 because I damaged the aluminum dome while I was cleaning it. I had to fumigate the speaker because of termites! During the re-coning of the D-131, I am considering to try out the K-120, 8 ohms, but no point in trying if the crossovers have been set for 16 ohm drivers. Or is there no significant difference between using an 8 ohm or 16 ohm driver? Thanks.

Put a multimeter on each of those drivers and measure their respective dcr's.

You may very well find that they are the same ( no matter what the back labels say ).

One driver is considered "Consumer" while the other is M.I. and JBL was known to use different impedance "labelling" protocols ( dependent on intended usage ).

:)