PDA

View Full Version : Another Metregon driver question.

roads31
03-18-2021, 10:27 AM
Greetings all-

I have yet another question/observation about the JBL Metregon. I have multiple posts about optimizing my little beast and have come to accept it's shortcomings. Recently when ruminating over building a test baffle with different drivers I thought of the internal volume of each side and remembering the slew of different driver options from JBL when ordering or outfitting a Metregon with drivers ranging from the D123 to the 150-4C or LE15A for the low end.

With tools available now there have been re-designs of even the L100 which purportedly found it should have been a larger volume cabinet.

Does anyone know the extent to which JBL analyzed different driver combinations offered for their enclosures? I don't recall reading anything about "tuning" any JBL cabinet to accommodate different drivers.

Robh3606
03-18-2021, 12:36 PM
Just look at the old plans from the 60's

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/1960s-manual.htm

Do you know the internal volume of each side?? If you know the volume use a modern bass program and use that tuning. What they have in the that old document can certainly be improved upon.

Rob:)

roads31
03-18-2021, 12:58 PM
Just look at the old plans from the 60's

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/1960s-manual.htm

Do you know the internal volume of each side??

Hi Rob-
Thanks for the info. I don't know the internal volume, I've done some searching and came up empty. It's such an odd shaped cavity, way beyond my ability to figure out.

Robh3606
03-18-2021, 01:28 PM
Well you could take a heavy duty garbage bag and use packaging peanuts to give you a rough estimate. Just build a guick and dirty 12x12x12 box as your measuring device to give you 1 cubic ft and fill appropriately. Just put the 1 cubic ft into small individual bags and stuff the box using the garbage bag as a liner.

roads31
03-18-2021, 01:47 PM
Well you could take a heavy duty garbage bag and use packaging peanuts to give you a rough estimate. Just build a guick and dirty 12x12x12 box as your measuring device to give you 1 cubic ft and fill appropriately. Just put the 1 cubic ft into small individual bags and stuff the box using the garbage bag as a liner.

Thanks, I had thought of using peanuts but laying the speaker on it's face and filling the cavity from the back with 1 cubic foot bags until full but not sure I want to go through either exercise as it's a pain to move this thing around.