PDA

View Full Version : Does this Voice Coil look like a factory part?

pbman1953
03-01-2021, 06:19 AM
I'm sending 2 pictures , one from a D140 and the other from a K140

VC1- D140, which looks real because of the cooling vent holes.

VC2- K140- which doesn't look factory. No vent holes. Plus they used the black dome adhesive for both the spider and cone attachment. I saw on the D140 a brownish epoxy on both parts then the black glue for the dome.

So the question is, is this K140 assembly factory? Is the black glue ever used for the spider and cone attachment?

Thanks!

Riley Casey
03-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Every D, K or E140 I've reconed with factory cone kits in the last forty years has had vent holes in the voice coil former and none have been made from a solid black material. Now that's probably less than a couple dozen 140s as I didn't work for a dedicated recone shop but that was my experience.

pbman1953
03-03-2021, 11:32 AM
Every D, K or E140 I've reconed with factory cone kits in the last forty years has had vent holes in the voice coil former and none have been made from a solid black material. Now that's probably less than a couple dozen 140s as I didn't work for a dedicated recone shop but that was my experience.

From the cutaway part of a JBL brochure they show the vented VC. This must of been a bad recone and they used the dome glue as the main glue attachment glue when you're supposed to use expoy. I'm glad I get to make this right, Thanks!