PDA

View Full Version : JBL joins the retro-look electronics bandwagon

DavidF
01-07-2021, 02:16 PM

Source: https://www.whathifi.com/news/jbl-sa750-is-a-modern-retro-class-g-amplifier-with-streaming?fbclid=IwAR2IpGXINjaDoiciKNy97lD_TDF-DkuIZXIZdn4qgiOIdNHFjycINJem1rI

SEAWOLF97
01-07-2021, 03:55 PM
$3000 :blink:

USA ,Mexico , China ?

macaroonie
01-07-2021, 04:55 PM
$3000 :blink:

USA ,Mexico , China ?

C'mon man , have a guess. Samsung own the show , they are in Korea. Outsourced to where all the other stuff is made just over the border. Prob made in the same factory as current Tekniks , Yam , etc etc.. It was always so when the Japanese companies got going in the late 60's

SEAWOLF97
01-07-2021, 05:45 PM
C'mon man , have a guess. Samsung own the show , they are in Korea. Outsourced to where all the other stuff is made just over the border. Prob made in the same factory as current Tekniks , Yam , etc etc.. It was always so when the Japanese companies got going in the late 60's

couple of years ago, I sold a Marantz 2230 receiver ... buyer was so happy
"I only buy American gear" .... just nodded .. ;)

Japanese.

sometimes the appearance is more important than the sound , tho that JBL amp is not especially attractive. :(

want good looking/performing retro styled gear ?? .. try LUXMAN.

grumpy
01-07-2021, 06:14 PM
Interesting (thanks for posting the link), but also uninterested.
Kind of sad looking vs nostalgic, and I’m not in the licensed-tech powered-streamer demo
It will probably sell.

HCSGuy
01-07-2021, 06:22 PM
So...I really like the retro Yamaha stuff. They’re simply building the stuff they used to build, but using the best of modern tech - no shortcuts. Yes, it’s expensive, but it won’t go obsolete, and is simple enough that it will probably last forever.

I don’t buy this POS. 120w/ch of Class G amplifier with streaming capability for $3k? I’ll buy a Sonos AMP for $599 if that’s what I’m looking for. This thing doesn’t look that pricey, and I see no reason it will sell. If JBL wants to go retro and charge $3k, they need to remake the T Circuit. Whoever designed this probably also designed the Samsung Tabletop speaker of about 7yrs ago, that I think was $600 just because it had a vacuum tube.

DavidF
01-07-2021, 06:40 PM
I share the reserved first-look thinking on this piece but if it can pry some folks away from the bluetooth earbuds to actually investing in some worthy speakers and a chair in their space filled with sound waves, hey, could be a good thing. Maybe invite some friends over for some shared listening? How novel.

Mr. Widget
01-07-2021, 06:50 PM
If I was going that route, I would likely go the Yamaha route myself, but good for Samsung, at least their marketing department is smarter than Harman’s.

As for Sonos? Try a BlueSound unit. They sound better.

Widget

DerekTheGreat
01-08-2021, 04:50 AM
couple of years ago, I sold a Marantz 2230 receiver ... buyer was so happy "I only buy American gear" .... just nodded .. ;)

Haha yeah, their American made stuff was pretty limited by the mid 70's. I think only their separates could tout that, I know my 510M and 3600 pre amp sport the made in USA sticker. I'm kind of puzzled that anyone goes for a Marantz receiver. With what I learned I'm convinced it's both better and cheaper to skip that stuff and go straight to their separates. Maybe it's nostalgia? Because of my dad I was trying to get a 2275, but the closest I came locally was a 4300. That was a mistake. From there I went to the 510M and 3600, it was better in every way. More than double the power of 2325 and cheaper too, sleeper Marantz stuff I guess. Not to mention the 510 is essentially what they borrowed to power the 2600 receiver. However, all of that stuff is like 10lbs of potatoes stuffed in a 5lb sack with the 2600 not to mention you'll pay out the wazoo for it.. If you have to have a tuner with that nice blue dial, go with their Model 150 tuner.. Marantz Model 150 Stereophonic Tuner Photo #3041135 - Canuck Audio Mart (https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649690350-marantz-model-150-stereophonic-tuner/images/3041135/)
Bonus scope for cheap.