PDA

View Full Version : jbl 4301 intermittent voice coil rub on woofer. recone or purchase used

muscmp
12-29-2020, 01:00 PM
i have a pair of 4301s that have had the surrounds replaced a couple years ago. one has developed intermittent voice coil rub. it works fine one day and the next it sounds terrible. trying to figure out whether to recone, which i figure would be about $100-110 or to go for a replacement woofer, most likely from ebay. the guy who would do the recone is fairly local so i would save shipping both ways.

edit: the guy says he is unable to find a recone kit for it at this time. it is a 116A woofer so i guess i'll be looking for a replacement woofer.

thanks,
mikeB

JeffW
12-29-2020, 04:45 PM
You're in SoCal, get ahold of Edgewound at Upland Loudspeaker Service. He may be able to repair what you have -

http://www.repairspeakers.com/

muscmp
12-29-2020, 10:13 PM
You're in SoCal, get ahold of Edgewound at Upland Loudspeaker Service. He may be able to repair what you have -

http://www.repairspeakers.com/

will do.
thanks,

muscmp
01-18-2021, 11:32 AM
i've found a recone kit with speaker exchange but the guy who will be doing the recone says OEM would be better. anyone have a source for that? speaker is 116a. i've checked with edgewound but haven't heard back yet.
thanks,

SEAWOLF97
01-18-2021, 01:35 PM
before messing with it (my L-19 has same issue) , I'd locate
where it is rubbing , remove the driver and rotate it 180 , remount
and see if improvement ?

macaroonie
01-18-2021, 03:19 PM
^^^^^^^ YUP , good advice , might take a while to settle out , it's taken 40 years to reach this condition.

muscmp
01-18-2021, 07:05 PM
before messing with it (my L-19 has same issue) , I'd locate
where it is rubbing , remove the driver and rotate it 180 , remount
and see if improvement ?

thanks seawolf, i've done that twice and struck out. after doing so, it is ok for a day or so and then starts rubbing again. i've ordered an oem recone kit, outrageously priced and will have someone else do the reconing. so, quite a bit of money but will be worth it in the long run. great sounding speakers, and, now quite old, so once they go, time to get them fixed.
thanks,
mikeB

DerekTheGreat
01-19-2021, 12:08 PM
You try calling or emailing Edgewound? I'm from Michigan and I had my 128H's refoamed, then reconed locally & they still weren't right.. Due to all the garbage I went through in my area, I thought I'd chance sending them to him. Now he's the only person I'd trust to do my stuff- one and done. If you call, be sure to leave a message with your number, he'll get back to you.