PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here! 4312 Refurbish

TerrapinBill
11-10-2020, 06:31 AM
Hello,

I just got a free pair of 4312-A speakers. They have no woofers, Mid Range or a tweeters. If it is a toss away that is fine, but I was interested in fixing them if possible with upgraded parts. The crossovers are still intact. What says you?

bedrock602
11-10-2020, 08:01 AM
Hello,

I just got a free pair of 4312-A speakers. They have no woofers, Mid Range or a tweeters. If it is a toss away that is fine, but I was interested in fixing them if possible with upgraded parts. The crossovers are still intact. What says you?

Don't toss them, you're more than half-way to having a nice set of vintage JBL's. If they were mine, I'd look for some 2213H woofers, 104H-3 mids and 035ti tweeters on ebay.

BTW, I'm a newbie too so I understand the impulse to "upgrade" them. Keep in mind that JBL speakers are designed and built by professionals with the resources of research and development that go back to the 1940's, they knew what they were doing.

I would encourage you to enjoy them as they were designed and built, including the original crossovers with original capacitors. If you find that you don't like the sound, pass them along to someone else.

TerrapinBill
11-10-2020, 09:06 AM
Don't toss them, you're more than half-way to having a nice set of vintage JBL's. If they were mine, I'd look for some 2213H woofers, 104H-3 mids and 035ti tweeters on ebay.

BTW, I'm a newbie too so I understand the impulse to "upgrade" them. Keep in mind that JBL speakers are designed and built by professionals with the resources of research and development that go back to the 1940's, they knew what they were doing.

I would encourage you to enjoy them as they were designed and built, including the original crossovers with original capacitors. If you find that you don't like the sound, pass them along to someone else.

No I have every intention to keep them. Now what about the old insulation is there a need to replace? Everything internally looks good they just got poached for parts.

bedrock602
11-10-2020, 09:08 AM
No I have every intention to keep them. Now what about the old insulation is there a need to replace? Everything internally looks good they just got poached for parts.

Insulation doesn't go bad.

Odd
11-10-2020, 09:24 AM
Nice find.

TerrapinBill
11-10-2020, 09:34 AM
Nice find.

thanks.

TerrapinBill
11-10-2020, 09:36 AM

can these parts be bought now or they will have to be scavenged around various places? My searches all
popped up as second hand parts.

bedrock602
11-10-2020, 09:48 AM
can these parts be bought now or they will have to be scavenged around various places? My searches all

The woofers will have to be purchased second hand, JBL does not make them anymore. There are new after-market tweeters and mids available, I have not used them but I plan to try them out in a diy build.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/replacement-speaker-jbl-midrange-m-le5.html

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/replacement-speaker-jbl-tweeter-t-035tia.html

JeffW
11-10-2020, 10:56 AM

That's the reason the empty cabs popped up, the older systems get parted out so now you are ironically faced with finding somebody else who has parted a pair out to find drivers for your cabs.

TerrapinBill
11-10-2020, 11:26 AM
Hello,

so that leads to me to my next question. Updating the old parts on crossovers. These are ancient I can imagine capacitors need to be changed out. Thoughts?

bedrock602
11-10-2020, 11:32 AM
so that leads to me to my next question. Updating the old parts on crossovers. These are ancient I can imagine capacitors need to be changed out. Thoughts?

I have quite a few vintage JBL and Altec speakers from the 1960's and 70's and have yet to find problems with any of the crossovers.

Wallacefl
11-26-2020, 10:29 AM
I think you will need to consider whether you want a more accurate monitor(4412)versus old style fun monitor(4312). IMHO I would go for a 4412 crossover or an Alpha S70 as opposed to the old 4312 crossover.

TerrapinBill
04-23-2021, 06:50 PM
I think you will need to consider whether you want a more accurate monitor(4412)versus old style fun monitor(4312). IMHO I would go for a 4412 crossover or an Alpha S70 as opposed to the old 4312 crossover.

I am responding to months back. Can I use the 035ti tweeters with the current crossover. Just asking. I also have the 104H-3 mids..

SEAWOLF97
04-24-2021, 01:25 PM
If you find that you don't like the sound, pass them along to someone else.

I HAD a pair of 4312 (not A) .. as original, they just didn't seem to be keepers and passed them along quickly.

IF you can make the 035Ti co-exist correctly, that could be a big improvement. :dont-know:

Wallacefl
04-26-2021, 07:08 AM
I’d bet that a 4412 crossover with 4312 drivers would go pretty well together.