PDA

View Full Version : 066 Tweeter dome issue

Longjohn
11-09-2020, 11:53 PM
Hello Thanks for the admission... First post here for me... discovered buried in my horde 4 pieces 066 new old stock tweeters.. one piece which was not boxed has the pushed in dome... what is the best approach to rectify it.... Remove it from the magnet assy... I'm in Sydney OZ by the way... (just in case I type funny). Cheers.. John

grumpy
11-10-2020, 01:31 PM
The dome under the flashed aluminum (or aluminum paint) is thin, but hard phenolic. If the dents didn't recover right away, the underlying material has been compromised (fibers broken). They can be made to look better and perhaps the "sound will be unaffected much", but they can't really be fully restored without a NLA dome kit. That said, removing the dome and its holder, and carefully pushing the dents out will likely cause less damage to the aluminum surface. It's a bit tricky to get the dome assembly off without damage (adhered to the magnet assembly), so good to go slow if you decide to do this. There are several pics with these and 044 (somewhat similar) torn apart on this site.

Hello Thanks for the admission... First post here for me... discovered buried in my horde 4 pieces 066 new old stock tweeters.. one piece which was not boxed has the pushed in dome... what is the best approach to rectify it.... Remove it from the magnet assy... I'm in Sydney OZ by the way... (just in case I type funny). Cheers.. John

Longjohn
11-10-2020, 09:06 PM
The dome under the flashed aluminum (or aluminum paint) is thin, but hard phenolic. If the dents didn't recover right away, the underlying material has been compromised (fibers broken). They can be made to look better and perhaps the "sound will be unaffected much", but they can't really be fully restored without a NLA dome kit. That said, removing the dome and its holder, and carefully pushing the dents out will likely cause less damage to the aluminum surface. It's a bit tricky to get the dome assembly off without damage (adhered to the magnet assembly), so good to go slow if you decide to do this. There are several pics with these and 044 (somewhat similar) torn apart on this site.

Thank you Sir.... I will be taking the course that you suggest... I have worked in the repair service industry for a long period of time and this will be very carefully approached indeed... ( this tweeter is New Old Stock & one of a pair ) the other unit being undamaged.

Cheers
John

SEAWOLF97
11-11-2020, 09:01 AM
parts of this thread may help

==>>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29325-044Ti-questions-Help-needed&highlight=044ti+help

Longjohn
11-11-2020, 12:30 PM
parts of this thread may help

==>>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29325-044Ti-questions-Help-needed&highlight=044ti+help

Thanks Seawolf97... Great visual thread of the job at hand... Very helpful indeed.... looks like the gluggy foam residue in the gap will be another challenge...

Cheers

SEAWOLF97
11-12-2020, 01:37 PM
this is what it took to get an 044Ti "plinth" off.

Longjohn
11-12-2020, 04:28 PM
this is what it took to get an 044Ti "plinth" off.

Thanks.... This one is going to be difficult ... Adhered very firmly & a much smaller area to get under as there is not a plinth on the 066 (The dome/VC is adhered directly on to the magnet) I am using a series of thin box cutter blades and envisage some serious damage if I slip.... may try a little heat ... Cheers..

Longjohn
11-13-2020, 10:12 PM
I found it too risky to remove the dome.... the old needle through dome.. work out the dents.. plug the needle hole with cotton thread.. spray the dome & that is as good as this one will ever be... Ironically whilst I was working on this unit, I found one more piece in my 40 year old stash... so I now have 4 pieces of NOS plus this beast... From what I can see, these are probably the last NOS pieces on the planet. .... Thanks for your help Gents.

8762387621ATTACH]87624[/ATTACH[]87625

macaroonie
11-14-2020, 03:54 AM
Good efort :applaud:

Earl K
11-14-2020, 03:59 AM
Great Stuff there!

:)