PDA

View Full Version : Altec A7 Refurbishment Crossovers

vottnut
06-13-2020, 01:24 PM
Should I do anything to the cross over units? They seem to be fairly clean. Should I upgrade or changing the capacitors? There are suppose to be 2 pairs of capacitors per cross over, but I see only one pair in each. Where should I look? Parts-Express maybe, any part numbers anyone can help with? What should the ohm readings be for the HF and LF drivers? Where can I get a copy of the cross over specs?
I have added a link to share my progress. https://imgur.com/a/tMAUwdH

Thanks

Mr. Widget
06-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Those look beautiful, and if the goal is a museum piece I wouldn’t touch them. On the other hand like similar vintage JBL crossovers, you can do much better from a performance standpoint. If you are willing to take a deep dive and build new networks you will be rewarded by improved sonics. Take a look at some of the Altec Valencia threads here. There have been a few discussions on upgraded networks.

Widget

Chas
06-14-2020, 12:08 PM
I’ve had good results replacing my Altec Valencia 846B crossover capacitors. I used Solen in the low pass and Hovland in the high pass. Later, I also replaced the high frequency drivers with GPA 902’s - luckily before the prices went nuts.