PDA

View Full Version : BSS BLU 48khz vs. 96khz

Jonas_h
05-09-2020, 11:35 PM
Hi,

I have a home theater using a BSS BLU160 for speaker presets (M2), room EQ, bass management and basically everything except surround decoding. I am preparing my design for adding more speakers going from 7.1.4 to 9.1.6 and running into challenges with available CPU-power.

One way to free up more power is to run the BSS at 48khz instead of 96khz. What are you experiences? Is there an audible difference or am I just chasing my tail here? I only use the system for movies so all content is 48khz natively.

Unfortunately my processer does not output digitally, so the BSS is connected with analog in => analog out resulting in an extra AD/DA conversion. Will 48khz only affect the AD/DA conversion or will it also affect the actual processing precision in the digital domain?

AlanD
05-10-2020, 12:25 AM
Based upon the differences in CPU power, you necessarily will be losing resolution for the calculations, but as you say, most movies are 48kHz anyway (except perhaps concert Blu-rays).

The new Synthesis SDP-55 has Dante so you could potentially run a hybrid Blu link and Dante setup. Problem is that the firmware for the SDP-55 is still reportedly pretty buggy.

Jonas_h
05-10-2020, 03:48 AM
I have looked at lot at the SDP-55 due to this. (And this raise another question: The SDP-55 Dante outputs at 48khz. Would it then be best to set the BSS at 48khz to match the digital input and not do any re-sampling of the signal?).

But I have the same intuition about twice as many data points should result in better A/D and D/A and filter processing. But I am no expert in signal processing so not sure you can see it that way.