PDA

View Full Version : What is your current age ???

SEAWOLF97
01-11-2020, 06:35 PM
in conjunction with a suggestion I made in another thread.

what is you age ???

brutal
01-12-2020, 12:25 AM
OK Boomer.

LOL

BMWCCA
01-12-2020, 08:04 AM
I'll be 67 this month. Do I feel like what I thought 67 would feel like back when I was 30? Hell no.
I drank from a keg at a neighbor's 50th birthday party last night and may choose to take a motorcycle ride since today will be 60º in January! I still go to work 5-days a week. The car I drive to work is 35-years-old. Not much has changed. I just live in a better house and own more JBLs!

turnitdown
01-12-2020, 05:34 PM
At 66, I feel like 40. No meds. Full mobility and working every day. Run my BMW hard like a kid. No issues with health or much else. Audio is my hobby and it's lost on some younger folks, but the brain trust (that I rely on from time to time) on this site wouldn't be so potent without their years - for which I'm grateful. Aging doesn't have to be what it was.

DerekTheGreat
01-13-2020, 05:50 AM
I'll be 67 this month. Do I feel like what I thought 67 would feel like back when I was 30? Hell no.
I drank from a keg at a neighbor's 50th birthday party last night and may choose to take a motorcycle ride since today will be 60º in January! I still go to work 5-days a week. The car I drive to work is 35-years-old. Not much has changed. I just live in a better house and own more JBLs!

Hah, my car is also in it's 30's. All of them are. Single camshaft and two valves per cylinder please!

SEAWOLF97
01-13-2020, 11:23 AM

I did pretty good till 68. told a friend that it all falls apart at that age. he laughed. He's now turned 68, and came to remind me of that conversation from 3 years ago.

He said "Damn it Tom, wish you hadn't told me that ... it's really happening"

Hope you are the exception.

Hah, my car is also in it's 30's. All of them are. Single camshaft and two valves per cylinder please!

My Beamer is a dual cam 32 valve V8 (AFAIR) ... but, I put more miles on my bicycle anymore... but enjoy the flat 4 of the Outback too. Think I'm going to inherit that next year as the wif is not going to pass the vision test next time around. :(

BMWCCA
01-13-2020, 06:05 PM

Hah! The 35-year-old is an inline-six, single cam, two-valves per cylinder 3.4L with 200,000 miles.
Its 25-year-old garage mate has 30% more miles on it (260,000) but I love the 2.5L inline-six, twin-cam with variable valve timing (VANOS) and hydraulic lifter a lot better than the older six which had the longest lifespan in the BMW lineup of any engine.
My newest 5-series BMW is only 18-years-old and just turned 80k. It has the 3.0L dual VANOS inline 6-cylinder. I hope it ages as well as the others.

RMC
01-13-2020, 06:25 PM
Hi Tom,

RE "dual cam 32 valve V8 (AFAIR)"

Isn't that a Northstar Caddy engine? If so, don't worry we won't tell the taxman that you drive a Caddy! Mine not as thirsty, only 4 cyl. 1.4L turbo Ecotec, not really enough to worry about gas prices here at 5 bucks a gallon, nor to have the taxman at my door...

RE "I did pretty good till 68. told a friend that it all falls apart at that age." Oh sh..t, better get going now in a few years I'll be there, my parts will start falling apart in the near future...

RE "inherit that next year as the wif is not going to pass the vision test next time around."
Really sorry to hear this, sight is probably one of the last things I'd want to lose or see going. Plus not being able to drive the car = loss of ones independence, that's a big issue. Regards,

Richard

P.S. Will post soon in your Turntables Welcome thread, kept a recent newspaper article about media used for music, one of these is extremely surprising: the "return" of tape cassette! Almost fell off the couch...

SEAWOLF97
01-13-2020, 07:54 PM
Hi Tom,

RE "dual cam 32 valve V8 (AFAIR)"

Isn't that a Northstar Caddy engine? If so, don't worry we won't tell the taxman that you drive a Caddy! Mine not as thirsty, only 4 cyl. 1.4L turbo Ecotec, not really enough to worry about gas prices here at 5 bucks a gallon, nor to have the taxman at my door....

The BMW M60 is a naturally aspirated V8 petrol engine which was produced from 1992 to 1996. It was BMW's first V8 engine in over 25 years.
The M60 engine has double overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder.[3] The camshaft is driven by a dual-row timing chain[4] with a self-adjusting tensioner. Valves had hydraulic lash adjustment to reduce maintenance. The ignition and fuel injection systems are controlled by the Bosch Motronic 3.3 system, and the ignition system is a coil-on-plug design with knock sensors.[5][6]

To reduce weight, the engine uses aluminum for both the engine block and cylinder head, magnesium valve covers[7] and a plastic intake manifold

>>RE "inherit that next year as the wif is not going to pass the vision test next time around."
Really sorry to hear this, sight is probably one of the last things I'd want to lose or see going. Plus not being able to drive the car = loss of ones independence, that's a big issue. Regards,Richard<<<

We have a new Subaru Outback that we both really enjoy. it's hers and I drive the old pickup. She is 70 also and has cataracts. We all know she won't pass a vision test in 9/2021 (when her license expires) ... Her friends have scared her out of eye surgery. We have been together almost 50 years and I will do whatever needed to maintain her safety & happiness.

RMC
01-14-2020, 01:00 AM
Hi Tom,

RE "The M60 engine has double overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder."

Not that rare btw, had the same thing on my 2001 Infiniti G20T (manual), SR20DE engine:

"The Specs
Type: Water cooled, 4 cycle in-line 4 cylinder
Combustion Chamber: Cross flow, pentroof type
Valve mechanism: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, chain drive
Displacement: 1,998 cc (2.0 L), etc." Tuning guys here like this engine...

Purchased car new, kept it 15 years, 58,000 KM only, no accidents no rust, got tired of manual shift in traffic with age, traded in.

RE Subaru Outback. Vermont, the "Green Mountain State", has these all over the place, seems that most have one. Though I wonder if "green" mountain customers there are all that green, otherwise they'd drive electric or hybrid maybe?

RE "Her friends have scared her out of eye surgery." For cataracts??? With all due respect this sounds crazy, Ophthalmologists here do cataracts surgery by the thousands every year, one eye at a time, members of the family had it done successfully, never heard of complications. My Ophthalmologist does it regularly, she says I'll need to have it done one day (years ahead) and I'll go.

Don't let her possibly lose sight, and decrease both of your quality of life this would imply, for what is usually a routine procedure. Seeing is just too important to be able to enjoy life fully, isn't it?

Not sure if friends are always acting like friends with their recommendations, suggestions or pressures. Regards,

Richard

DerekTheGreat
01-14-2020, 04:20 AM
Hah! The 35-year-old is an inline-six, single cam, two-valves per cylinder 3.4L with 200,000 miles.
Its 25-year-old garage mate has 30% more miles on it (260,000) but I love the 2.5L inline-six, twin-cam with variable valve timing (VANOS) and hydraulic lifter a lot better than the older six which had the longest lifespan in the BMW lineup of any engine.
My newest 5-series BMW is only 18-years-old and just turned 80k. It has the 3.0L dual VANOS inline 6-cylinder. I hope it ages as well as the others.

I love straight six engines. The Ford 300ci is my favorite. They Chrysler 225ci leaning tower of power is my 2nd favorite, if only there was some sort of factory EFI for it.

1audiohack
01-14-2020, 08:38 AM
....We all know she won't pass a vision test in 9/2021 (when her license expires) ... Her friends have scared her out of eye surgery. We have been together almost 50 years and I will do whatever needed to maintain her safety & happiness.

Oh man I hope she reconsiders.

My mom just had her lenses replaced at 72. Having crystal clear vision again changed her life in ways we never imagined. She’s always been happy and active but now she seems 50 again.

My best wishes.
Barry.

SEAWOLF97
01-14-2020, 10:37 AM
RE Subaru Outback. Vermont, the "Green Mountain State", has these all over the place, seems that most have one. Though I wonder if "green" mountain customers there are all that green, otherwise they'd drive electric or hybrid maybe?
Richard

electric or hybrid are in a different price level entirely ...I read that the Outback is a top seller in Oregon,Washington and Colorado. My son drove his from Chicago to visit us, their kids counted 60+ on the road in Portland their first weekend here.
We are coming up on 2 yrs. and have not had a single problem , not even squeaks.

Cannot say that about any auto that I've ever owned.

My MG had a brand new problem daily. :(

Our Ford Ranger has a German 4.0L V-6 , which has been fine, but the rest of the truck leaves something to be desired.

HER EYES: I will not force her to do a surgery, can only present my case. she likes driving and loves the Outback ... hoping that at some point she reconsiders.

1audiohack
01-14-2020, 11:50 AM
...HER EYES: I will not force her to do a surgery, can only present my case. she likes driving and loves the Outback ... hoping that at some point she reconsiders.

Easy trigger! Who said anything about force.

SEAWOLF97
01-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Easy trigger! Who said anything about force.

HER EYES: I will not force her to do a surgery, can only present my case......

force ? I did. see above post.

you are pretty quick on the cutesy names. Maybe review before posting ?

tomt
01-15-2020, 11:18 AM
On Friday, I'll be 60.

jmpsmash
01-15-2020, 01:30 PM
mid-40s. I feel young here! :D

gferrell
01-15-2020, 04:56 PM
Going on 63 and can't tell much of a difference in the last 10 years. I just look like an old man!

JeffW
01-15-2020, 07:39 PM
Look 40, feel 90, party like 20.

Mr. Widget
01-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Look 40, feel 90, party like 20. :applaud: :rotfl: :applaud:

That last number no doubt is having its effects on the second.

Widget

Mr. Widget
01-15-2020, 09:35 PM
mid-40s. I feel young here! :DI was in my early 40's when I first joined... look what's happened to me. :blink:

Widget

jmpsmash
01-15-2020, 09:59 PM
I was in my early 40's when I first joined... look what's happened to me. :blink:

Widget

older and wiser? :applaud:

speakerdave
01-26-2020, 01:08 PM
Had a conversation with my older son recently about the stages of life, which can be seen in decades, but for that talk I used the more traditional 7 yr interval for life-changing transitions because he is at one of them. I believe it is in one of the OT prophets where you will find, if you look, words to this effect: "Raise a child up to the age of seven in the way that he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it." In medieval Europe, and still many places today, the beginning of apprenticeship, or child labor. A psychologist once told us that at age 14 the child's value system is set, and the only thing further you can teach them along those lines is how to be a good roommate. Mark Twain, as I recall, said that when he was 18 he was sure his father was an idiot; when he was twenty-one he was amazed at how much the old man had learned in such a short time; the end, or nearly, of the student years. At 28, one is likely well set on a path and has become a householder, and at 35 one begins decisive assessments about where the career is going. At 42 it's either feeling satisfactory or you're saying, "Oh, shit! Serious course correction required." At 49 you are screaming into the night, "Dammit this better be a jubilee year!" Fifty-six has deniability; 63 lacks it. Seventy hurts, real bad, if you haven't prepared yourself for it. Seventy-seven, "Hey, look at this!. No, really, doesn't anybody want this wisdom?" Eighty-four and onward, "Thank you, Lord, amen and forever."

This post should tell you what stage I'm at--something to say.

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2020, 07:34 PM
I've aged about 10 years in the last 6 weeks.

Hope to reverse that , about 6 weeks from now ;)

Triumph Don
03-11-2020, 05:29 PM
I am 64.5, still ride and sell guess what brand motorcycles, have a hot rodded Miata for the daily driver [year round here in SW Ohio with Blizzaks], member here since about the beginning. Hows this for a spin off thread-what do our kids listen to?

silvashoots
01-14-2021, 01:48 PM
Just thought I'd add reply to my somewhat tardy vote with a general "thank you" to the old heads around here. Most Late Millennials/Gen-Z (I was born in 1995) aren't browsing phpBB forums like this anymore, but after an accidental discovery, I've been lurking for about 2 years or so. It's been a trip digging up the treasure trove of info both on the site and forums. I hunkered down during 2020 -- scrimped and saved -- and purchased a pair of Altec 604Cs last month -- recently refurbished by Great Plains Audio. Years of discussion in the backlog were the lead-up behind that decision. I don't hail from a family of audiophiles or have any peers in the hobby, so this site was eminently useful when I decided to start building a proper audio system.

Wanted to add my "20-30" reply to the mix to bring the average a little ways down. Glad to be part of the Lansing club.

JeffW
01-14-2021, 02:50 PM
Let us know what you think of the 604Cs when you get a chance, no doubt there will be a few enclosure opinions floating about if you haven't got anything nailed down yet. When I was your age, it was all balls to the wall head banging and I'm pretty sure I didn't even know what a 604 was.

silvashoots
01-14-2021, 05:08 PM
Let us know what you think of the 604Cs when you get a chance, no doubt there will be a few enclosure opinions floating about if you haven't got anything nailed down yet. When I was your age, it was all balls to the wall head banging and I'm pretty sure I didn't even know what a 604 was.

I've got a woodworker near me building 620 cabinets. They're sitting in some DIY home-depot plywood open baffles at the moment, though and I'm loving them.

Jazz has always been my thing so I expect/hope these to be my "endgame". The fellows at GPA were rather bullish about these lasting another 40-50 years with the refurb, so that's all I figure I'll need.

Mr. Widget
01-14-2021, 06:47 PM
Most Late Millennials/Gen-Z (I was born in 1995) aren't browsing phpBB forums like this anymore, but after an accidental discovery...FWIW: It was an accidental discovery for me too. About 18-19 years ago. :D

Welcome to the "old geezer" audiofest.

By the time I was twenty-five I had sold all my JBL horn systems I scrounged together in high school and college and had a tri-amped DIY Dynaudio rig with ribbon tweeters and all manner of silliness.

Dozens and dozens of systems later, I am back to horns and big woofers... the 604E was the current model when I was your age, I am not all that familiar with the 604C, but I imagine a restored pair will sound pretty nice with a bit of extra midrange presence and a rolled off top and bottom.

That sound should favor some Jazz. I would look into crossover options... please start a thread with pics when you have a chance.

Widget

BMWCCA
01-15-2021, 06:19 PM
I am 64.5, still ride and sell guess what brand motorcycles, have a hot rodded Miata for the daily driver [year round here in SW Ohio with Blizzaks], member here since about the beginning. I turn 68 in one week, hope to take a ride this Sunday, and have six bikes. Guess what brand those are! And I still sell that brand of car, too. My daily driver is a 2013 BMW 128i 6-speed-manual M-sport coupe. Just like my first 2002tii but with 100 extra horsepower!