PDA

View Full Version : std language

Alex Lancaster
01-03-2005, 09:35 PM
:)
I find it offensive to post in anything else but English in these forums, I am not an English native speaker, however I try, as many others, if somebody tries faceteously to post in any other language, they should use PM´s, after all, Louis XIV is long dead, Count Bernarnotte, Bisbarck, Frederick the great etc, and part of my heritage, Isabel and Fernando, and Charles the V, in other words, let us cut the BS, English (American?), is the language of the world.

porschedpm
01-04-2005, 02:41 AM
I'm sorry I don't agree. Even though English is the only language I know, I don't think we should make English the only accepted language for this Forum. Certainly it is the preferred language of this Forum and the native language for the majority of our members. But in the interest of promoting an international Forum, I feel if a member is more comfortable conversing in a different language then why not let them. They would have to understand, though, that they'd be severly limiting their audience when not using English. As with any Forum conversation, English or otherwise, if threads get down to two-way conversations, they may be more appropriately handled through Personal Messaging or email. Now, from the moderators' points of view, they may need to occasionally ask that non-English threads be translated to avoid offensive material being posted.

lfh
01-04-2005, 03:14 AM
I fear it was a recent post of mine that triggered this thread (I cited from a software manual in German without giving a translation). My thinking is that it depends on the context and amount whether it's OK or not: Occational sentences in non-English just adds spice to the conversation IMHO, provided that the message is say "50% understandable" to the English speaking reader, or that it's clear that it's just a greeting to a fellow-countryman, or similar. (Perhaps the snippet from the manual didn't meet the 50% criterion - or that I'm arrogant suggesting such a "lazy" (for the poster...) threshold.)

Robh3606
01-04-2005, 05:46 AM
No I don't think so. You have guys coming in that have trouble with english. You see another forum member who can speak their tongue help them. I admit I would like to know what's going on but the important thing is he get's the help he needs.

Rob:)

4313B
01-04-2005, 08:42 AM
The only language I have problems with is Spanish. If one more jackass in the USA asks me if I want to continue in English or Spanish I'm going to give them a pop quiz in the teeth with a Louisville Slugger. While they are crapping teeth for a week they can wonder what language I wanted to continue in.

Chas
01-04-2005, 08:45 AM
I guess that ultimately, the decision should be Don's.

Rob, I am inclined to agree with you. After all, the world is becoming a smaller, more open place.

Personally speaking, living in Canada and growing up in Quebec, I am accustomed to sharing knowledge in at least two languages. What if someone who doesn't speak English has a question, maybe wants to share an important piece of JBL history or something else, is blocked from posting?

Don McRitchie
01-04-2005, 08:59 AM
So far, I don't preceive a problem. This forum is an English language forum because that is the only language I speak and not because of any belief that it is the universal language that all must use. Nonetheless, it would become a problem if there were numerous multilingual threads. This prospect has the potential to fragment the forum which I would not like to see happen.

I think it should be recognized that there have been many significant contributions to this forum from members whose first language is not English and I would like to encourage this. If it means that a fellow countryman has to jump in and post in their native language on occaision, then I do not have a problem. Stating that all foreign correspondance should be through PM's is not workable. Most new members are not even aware of the PM feature when they join. Just explaining how it works in English could be impossible for those that only have a rudimentary understanding of the language.

To reiterate, right now, I do not perceive a problem. If the occaisional non English post helps new members to contribute, then this is a worthwhile tradeoff. However, I do not want to see the forum fragmented into numerous, linguistic factions.

Oldmics
01-04-2005, 09:06 AM
"The only language I have problems with is Spanish. If one more jackass in the USA asks me if I want to continue in English or Spanish I'm going to give them a pop quiz in the teeth with a Louisville Slugger. While they are crapping teeth for a week they can wonder what language I wanted to continue in."

Giskard

When you run for president-ya got my vote!!!!!!!

Seriously-There are many web site that allow for different languages.Is this translation some sort of program that can be implimented on this site?

Oldmics-who would like to see more worldwide ideas on JBL items.
<!-- / message -->

boputnam
01-04-2005, 09:41 AM
:yes: Giskard got my vote, too!!

As to "translators", oft times our members assist, as needed - I know Alex was a huge help to a member with a Spanish inflection a while back.

Otherwise, World Lingo (http://www.worldlingo.com/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html) can help, but it gets "wifey" when things go too technical... ;)

Don McRitchie
01-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Here's Google's translator (http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en) at work on Ilf's German post:

"Ob man nun ein Bassreflexgehäuse als Helmholtzresonator bezeichnet oder als rearloaded konisches Horn mit relativ großer Vorkammer, dessen Halsfläche gleich der Mundfläche ist, ist reine Definitionssache. In der Praxis sind beide Typen identisch."

"whether one is now a bass reflex housing as helmholtzresonator designation or as rearloaded conical horn with relatively large pre-chamber, whose neck surface is equal to the mouth surface pure definition thing. In practice both types are identical."

As you can see, like every other language program I have found, it is of limited utility.

Don

Mr. Widget
01-04-2005, 10:55 AM
As another American with barely one language at my command I have felt a bit left out in the non English posts that we have seen over the years, but typically if the post is important to our community at large it does get translated and I don't think this has been much of a problem.

It seems sometimes there are brief inside jokes that are made in another language, but hell half the time I can't figure out the jokes that are made in English either.:)

Widget

John
01-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Once again common sence comes to the surface. Can we all get along???http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

GordonW
01-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Here's Google's translator (http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en) at work on Ilf's German post:

"Ob man nun ein Bassreflexgehäuse als Helmholtzresonator bezeichnet oder als rearloaded konisches Horn mit relativ großer Vorkammer, dessen Halsfläche gleich der Mundfläche ist, ist reine Definitionssache. In der Praxis sind beide Typen identisch."

"whether one is now a bass reflex housing as helmholtzresonator designation or as rearloaded conical horn with relatively large pre-chamber, whose neck surface is equal to the mouth surface pure definition thing. In practice both types are identical."

As you can see, like every other language program I have found, it is of limited utility.

Don

Actually, I work with a Japanese animation convention... and after having to deal with "manglish" (primarily Japanese-native speakers trying to write English... sometimes jokingly called "Japanglish") occasionally for the last 10 years... that translation actually made sense to me, once I held my mouth right. :biting: :D

Like most people here, while I agree that English should be the default language people should use if possible, I see no problem with delving into paragraphs and occasional whole posts in other languages, if it helps clarify an issue (especially something highly technical) for someone who's dexterity in English is sketchy. As was said above, the real goal is the accurate communication of ideas... and if that takes a few words in other languages here and there, that's fine...

Regards,
Gordon.

Don C
01-04-2005, 10:45 PM
:)
I find it offensive to post in anything else but English in these forums People have to try a lot harder that that to offend me. I go for months at a time without being offended.
I work on another website, and we have a small message board there. Recently someone made a post there that was possilly libelous, and since I am the admin, I had to delete that post, after hearing copmlaints. Now a third person chimed in today and called me "Hitler" for deleting the other guy's post. I am a little bit offended. Makes me miss the civility and tolerance that we have here.

Alex Lancaster
01-05-2005, 12:30 AM
:) All I want is civility, I will gladly translate from Spanish, But if somebody wants to chat in other primeval tongues, let them PM; otherwise if We like or not, English is what We readily understand, I do not think We would like to on tribal lenguages.