PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing 3127 woofer in hifi?

mtolesen
01-31-2019, 08:28 PM
Hi,
I may be able to get four Altec Lansing 3127 woofers at a good price.
Will it be possible to use them in a good 3 way HIFI setup do you think?
I am not interrested in a seperate subwoofer solution, but i looks like it is what Lansing themself used them for.
I do not need to use two units in each cabinet, even i got four units, but it could be interresting to understand if these units are worth buying in connection with hifi.

Any suggestion?, i do know there are some threads about the 3127, but just wanted to see if there was any added diy info to get.

br
martin

Earl K
02-01-2019, 03:04 AM
I'm confident they won't do the job that you want them to ( ie; anchoring the bottom end of a 3-way HiFi box).

The 3127 is a mid-bass driver with a highish Fs ( 50Hz ) and a very high EBP ( of almost 200hz ) .
- HiFi woofers should be in the neighbourhood of 30hz ( for Fs ) and less than 90 for the EBP ( Energy Bandwidth Product ) .

Try for yourself to create a meaningful box alignment within WinISD and you'll see what I mean.

:)

PS; They could still be useful to you if you used them with subs ( in an H.T. setup ) with a small horn and driver ( over the 3127 ).

more10
02-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Excellent midrange. Not as good as 414 though.

Build a pair of MTM inspired by JBL K2, http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/k2.htm